Determining God's will through circumstances

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Oftentimes I find it difficult to know what God's will is for my life. I know that God can choose to reveal Himself to us in whatever way He wants, but I also know that nowadays He speaks to us mainly through His Word. I figured another big way in which He reveals His will is through life circumstances.

For instance, as I've described in previous posts, I recently let go of someone who I've grown very attached to. We found ourselves in quite a big mess. It seemed like everywhere we turned, there was some sort of problem. My parents didn't entirely approve. We live an hour away from each other. I couldn't visit her 95% of the time. She couldn't visit me after wrecking her car. Most godly counsel I was receiving told me I should let her go. Even furthermore, God seemed to send me some amazing validation, which I describe in my most recent previous post. Still, however, I find myself wondering if what I did was right. I wonder if God was wanting to take me on a difficult path, but I chose comfort instead.

I guess my question is, how can I tell between a path with difficult circumstances which is God's will from that which is not God's will? Because certainly God's will is not always the easier route. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

16 minutes ago, Trayalc said:

Oftentimes I find it difficult to know what God's will is for my life. I know that God can choose to reveal Himself to us in whatever way He wants, but I also know that nowadays He speaks to us mainly through His Word. I figured another big way in which He reveals His will is through life circumstances.

For instance, as I've described in previous posts, I recently let go of someone who I've grown very attached to. We found ourselves in quite a big mess. It seemed like everywhere we turned, there was some sort of problem. My parents didn't entirely approve. We live an hour away from each other. I couldn't visit her 95% of the time. She couldn't visit me after wrecking her car. Most godly counsel I was receiving told me I should let her go. Even furthermore, God seemed to send me some amazing validation, which I describe in my most recent previous post. Still, however, I find myself wondering if what I did was right. I wonder if God was wanting to take me on a difficult path, but I chose comfort instead.

I guess my question is, how can I tell between a path with difficult circumstances which is God's will from that which is not God's will? Because certainly God's will is not always the easier route. 

Where did you get the idea that "nowadays He speaks to us mainly through His Word"? We are supposed to be in constant prayer (1 Thess 5:17), which means we should constantly be communicating directly with him.

16 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Where did you get the idea that "nowadays He speaks to us mainly through His Word"? We are supposed to be in constant prayer (1 Thess 5:17), which means we should constantly be communicating directly with him.

I was thinking of Hebrews 1:1-2 - 

"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."

And since Jesus is the living manifestation of the Word, I figured this meant that the Word was our main source of receiving communication from God. 

2 minutes ago, Trayalc said:

I was thinking of Hebrews 1:1-2 - 

"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."

And since Jesus is the living manifestation of the Word, I figured this meant that the Word was our main source of receiving communication from God. 

If you read the words of God and Jesus in the Bible, in those instances where they are directly quoted, you begin to understand who he is. But the object is to get to know him personally, isn't it?

18 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

If you read the words of God and Jesus in the Bible, in those instances where they are directly quoted, you begin to understand who he is. But the object is to get to know him personally, isn't it?

I think that's true, but I suppose I'm a bit confused. Are you saying we are not able to know God personally through His Word?

36 minutes ago, Trayalc said:

I think that's true, but I suppose I'm a bit confused. Are you saying we are not able to know God personally through His Word?

You can't have a personal relationship with words, can you?

21 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

You can't have a personal relationship with words, can you?

Not in general, but aren't we to believe the Bible is the living Word of God? And if it's living, it's not just some lifeless words on a page, right?

Of course, I know the Holy Spirit plays a huge part in the Lord speaking to us too. But wouldn't it be a bit dangerous to rely on feelings or an "inner voice" more than the concrete Word of God?

29 minutes ago, Trayalc said:

Not in general, but aren't we to believe the Bible is the living Word of God? And if it's living, it's not just some lifeless words on a page, right?

Of course, I know the Holy Spirit plays a huge part in the Lord speaking to us too. But wouldn't it be a bit dangerous to rely on feelings or an "inner voice" more than the concrete Word of God?

Even if the Bible was the living Word of God, how can we have a relationship with a Word? I believe the Word of God are those instances, and there are many, of God or Jesus being quoted.

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Even if the Bible was the living Word of God, how can we have a relationship with a Word? I believe the Word of God are those instances, and there are many, of God or Jesus being quoted.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -John 1:1-5

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." -John 1:14

John seems to answer that question in his book. Jesus and the Word are one and the same. I don't believe the Word is only instances of Jesus/God being quoted - it is Christ himself and his message, whom the entirety Bible is centered around, to my understanding.

4 hours ago, Trayalc said:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -John 1:1-5

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." -John 1:14

John seems to answer that question in his book. Jesus and the Word are one and the same. I don't believe the Word is only instances of Jesus/God being quoted - it is Christ himself and his message, whom the entirety Bible is centered around, to my understanding.

The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to God, I believe. The Bible is not God.