• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

"Behold [See], I set before you this day a blessing and a curse." 

- Deuteronomy 11:25-28, JPS 1917 Tanach

The Hebrew word,  re'eh, meaning, to see, may also be understood as "to perceive." This reading of the word re'eh, may allude to a more subtle understanding the passage. To some degree, we know that there are consequences for the choices that we make in our lives. Yet, our discernment falls short of the mark, if we do not acknowledge this principle within the realm of our everyday lives, specifically, within the sphere of morality, in regard to our every thought, word, and deed. 

"It shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt bethink thyself among all the nations" (Deuteronomy 30:1, JPS). When we "bethink thyself" of the blessings and curses, i.e., perceive that the consequences of our actions are a direct result of our obedience to G-d's Word, or our disobedience, then, we will "return unto the L-RD thy G-d" (Deuteronomy 30:3, JPS). We will be compelled to return to H'Shem through teshuvah (repentance), when we see the evidence of G-d's influence in our lives, by way of the individual blessings and curses that we receive, based upon our conduct in life. This awareness draws us closer to Him, through the provision of Messiah (see also, 1 John 1:9).

"How narrow is the gate, and challenging the way that leads to [eternal] life." 

- Matthew 7:14, TLV embellished

H'Shem makes His expectations known, by encouraging B'nei Yisrael to choose wisely. "I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life (Deuteronomy 30:19 )" Sifrei comments that the additional words, "choose life" are meant to convey the understanding that H'Shem did not mean to imply that it is of no consequence, whichever way we would choose to go. Rather, He encourages us to choose life – chayei olam (eternal life) through making the right choices, in accordance with our belief in Messiah. For he has the words of eternal life (John 6:68).

Every moment contains a potential blessing and curse: the choice is ours to make, dependent upon our awareness at the time, regarding our response to that moment (Me'or Eynayim). This is the level of kedushah (holiness) that H'Shem requires of us: to endeavor to make the right choice in every moment. Additionally, to learn from our mistakes, when we respond in a manner that is less than optimal in H'Shem's eyes. Yeshua says, "My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Mt. 11:30, TLV).

Incidentally, where it is written, "Messiah has redeemed us from the curse of the law," refers to "its sentence of condemnation and death" (see John Gill's commentary, Galatians 3:13). Thus, there is no implication that during this life, we are immune from the consequences of our actions - only we are spared from eternal condemnation, through the ultimate redemption made for us by Messiah. "For sin's payment is death, but G-d's gracious gift is eternal life in Messiah Yeshua our L-rd" (Romans 6:23, TLV).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Just curious why you have a Kabbalah symbol as your profile picture?

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Shalom. Thank you for asking.

I did not realize that was a Kabbalah symbol. The basic design is referred to as a "hamsa," a traditional Middle Eastern symbol. Primarily, I like the Hebrew word, "chai," meaning, "life," that is in the center; thus, for me this implies "chayei olam," eternal life, a reminder of the promise given to those who believe in Messiah, and abide in His words.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Shimon said:

Shalom. Thank you for asking.

I did not realize that was a Kabbalah symbol. The basic design is referred to as a "hamsa," a traditional Middle Eastern symbol. Primarily, I like the Hebrew word, "chai," meaning, "life," that is in the center; thus, for me this implies "chayei olam," eternal life, a reminder of the promise given to those who believe in Messiah, and abide in His words.

Yeah that symbol is used by Kabbalah and many other eastern religions also known as the Evil Eye charm.

See link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsa

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh