IGNORED

We can't carry out the sentence of death

Guest Zayit

I am having trouble reconciling these two passages, can anyone add insight of the L-RD here?

In John:

18:29

Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?

18:30

They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee.

18:31

Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:

with this:

6:11

Then they suborned men, which said *, We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses, and against God.

6:12

And they stirred up the people, and the elders, and the scribes, and came upon him, and caught him, and brought him to the council,

6:13

And set up false witnesses, which said, This man ceaseth not to speak blasphemous words against this holy place, and the law:

6:14

For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us.

6:15

And all that sat in the council, looking stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel.

Skipping down through his summation:

7:56

And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

7:57

Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,

7:58

And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

7:59

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I bwelieve it was unlawful according to Roman law for the Jews to execute anyone, yet they disobeyed this law for Stephen while they would not do so for Yeshua, interesting.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I don't think I'm understanding the question. Or are you even asking a question? If you're asserting that civilian individuals are not given authority to take another person's life, you are correct. If you are asserting, however, that the government is not given authority to punish someone by death then you are incorrect. Read Romans 13. We are instructed to submit to the governing authorities and reminded that they are given the power of the sword for a reason.

I bwelieve it was unlawful according to Roman law for the Jews to execute anyone, yet they disobeyed this law for Stephen while they would not do so for Yeshua, interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was it? :emot-questioned:

I think this can be taken another way:

Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:

Was it not lawful under Roman law or were they saying that their law didn't allow anyone to be condemned to death?

I will have to go through my Josephus' works to see if he reveals anything of Roman rule in occupied provinces. Or do you know M4?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I am pretty sure it was unlawful according to Roman law, but honestly I can't remember where I read it, mebbe in Josephus. I can see how it could be read as being halachically unpermissable, but I am pretty ignorant as far as halacha and capital punishment are concerned...so :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The Jew's authority to administer capital punishment would be gone when the Messiah arrived.

Prophecy

Gen 49:10 KJV

(10) The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Fulfillment

Joh 18:31 KJV

(31) Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:

Notes

During Jesus' lifetime the authority to administer capitol punishment was taken away from Jewish rule by the Romans. For this reason the Jewish religious leaders appealed to Pilate to sentence Jesus to death, since they no longer had the authority. This authority is embodied in the word "sceptre" (a symbol of the right to rule) in Genesis 49:10.

http://www.messiahrevealed.org/index.html

Edited by Aim_64bIT

Guest shiloh357
I am having trouble reconciling these two passages, can anyone add insight of the L-RD here?

In John:

Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?

In John:

Guest shiloh357
Pilate asked him if he was the King of the Jews and he told him that his kingdom was not of this world. That hardly went against Rome, but if you are asserting that it was because he said he was G-d and only ceasar was considered G-d, that could be a just cause for Pilate to believe them, but he did let them choose, so he must not have totally believed he was an enemy of Rome, those were the prime ones that they wished to crucify to teach others not to go against the empire, no?

Yes, but that does not pertain to your question. You were wanting a reconciliation between their claim that they could not put Him to death, with them actually putting Stephen to death. The answer is that they were trying to have Jesus put to death as an enemy of the state, where Stephen was stoned to death as a blasphemer. Yeshua was not an enemy of the State, and Pilate knew it, but that is beside the point, and not really material to your initial question.

Do you think it may be because they had tried on many occasion to stone him and coulnd't , he mysteriously disappeared so they figured it better to leave it to Roma?

Here is what I said in my last post:

I would also add, that they had Yeshua's trial in secret because they feared the reaction of the public who overwhelmingly saw Yeshua as a prophet or even a king. It would have evoked a riot had it been necessary to put Yeshua to death in Jerusalem on the grounds that He violated Jewish law; something they could support with evidence.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Good response Shiloh.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie