• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.45
  • Content Count:  44,389
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

Friend, death to the flesh!

Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

When we study a translation of a Scripture passage, we often miss out on the nuances hidden in the original Hebrew (Old Testament) or Greek (New Testament). Often, it’s not that a word is mistranslated but that rendering the meaning in one English word is difficult, if not impossible.

One such word is the word "flesh". The often-used Greek word for "flesh", "sarx", forms the etymological root for our English word, "sarcophagus". Sarcophagi are ornately adorned stone coffins where the mortal flesh of humans (usually significant in some way during their lifetime) becomes entombed. They can be quite ornate and beautifully crafted. Thus, the Greek word for "flesh", ironically, carries in its meaning a hint of the mortal nature of the stuff we are made of, and the vessel to which it is destined. Normally, the simple word "flesh" doesn't necessarily connote "mortality"...unless you spend some time thinking about it...

Our flesh can also be made beautiful, and many spend quite a bit of time and resources beautifying it. Yet our "sarx", or mortal human body, is also a kind of "sarcophagus" since it's destined to decay, a temporary vessel no more eternal than a coffin.

The apostle Paul affirms that he is "crucified with Christ"; that his mortal flesh, with its irrevocably sinful tendency and bondage to decay, has been identified with the Messiah in His death on the cross. Throughout his epistles, Paul frequently warns believers not to live a life "after the flesh", that is, according to its predilections and desires. Living that way could be described as being trapped within a “coffin.”

Yet Paul says in another place that "we carry this treasure in jars of clay"...[2 Cor. 4:7] i.e. that the "sarcophagi" in which we walk around are vessels of resurrection life-- the very life of Messiah, which was regenerated by His Spirit in us.

The great mystery and challenge of a believer's life is that we have the constant choice whether to be a walking self-serving "sarcophagus" or a living, breathing jar of clay filled with God's Holy Spirit and bearing all the fruit of love, joy, peace, etc.

Friend, your "sarx" can be a self-serving coffin or a life-giving vessel. If you are born from above, the sinful nature of your body has been crucified with Christ, and your constant life choice will be the extent to which you recognize that reality and are filled with the resurrection life that the new birth affords. You were not given a spirit of fear but of love, power, and a sound mind. Don't be an ornate living tomb; be a life-giving, spirit-filled jar of clay!

Your family in the Lord with much agape love,

George, Baht Rivka, Obadiah and Elianna (Going to Christian College in Dallas, Texas)
Ormond Beach, Florida

Join us on an epic, life changing journey through Israel, through the eyes of those who are well acquainted with the culture, the people and the Land. This is not your average Israel tour— bring your family, bring your friends, and experience the REAL ISRAEL with George and Baht Rivka as your personal hosts.

Around the World
Russia’s Putin says Ukraine war could be ‘long process,’ insists he has not ‘gone mad’ on nuclear weapons
Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed concern that the threat of nuclear war is rising as his country continues its invasion of Ukraine — a conflict that he said "might be a long process."
Peru swears in new president amid constitutional crisis
Vice President Dina Boluarte was sworn in Wednesday as Peru’s next president after Congress voted out President Pedro Castillo shortly after he dissolved the legislative body.
Iran: Nine people face death penalty for “colluding” with Israel to kill nuclear scientist
Iran’s judiciary has announced that nine defendants are now facing the death penalty after being convicted of “colluding” with Israel to assassinate a top Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh two years ago, the Times of Israel (TOI) reports.
Argentina Vice President Sentenced Over Corruption
Argentina faced more upheaval Wednesday after an Argentine federal court found Vice President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner guilty of corruption.

Israel-Palestinian Conflict
Likud reports significant progress on way to new government
Prime Minister-elect Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party announced Monday that the right-wing bloc had submitted all signatures necessary to replace Knesset Speaker Mickey Levy.

Inside the United States
Warnock’s win in Georgia State Runoff over Walker hands Dems 51 seats
Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock defeated Republican challenger Herschel Walker in Georgia's high-stakes Senate runoff election.
Elon Musk fires Twitter’s general counsel for suppression of Hunter Biden story
Elon Musk fired Twitter's general counsel Tuesday following revelations about his alleged role in suppressing the Hunter Biden laptop story on the platform.
Libraries Across the Country Say Yes to Drag Queen Story Time, No to Faith-Based Children’s Book
With a new children's book out that celebrates family, faith, and biblical wisdom, actor-writer-producer Kirk Cameron cannot reach scores of American children or their families in many U.S. cities via the public library system because over 50 public libraries have either outright rejected him or not responded to requests on his behalf.
San Francisco bans use of lethal robots in policing
The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday unanimously to reverse its own decision last week to allow police the use of remote-controlled robots equipped with potentially lethal explosives to save lives in extreme circumstances, the Washington Examiner reports.

Christian News
Bipartisan religious freedom commission “outraged” at US failure to add Nigeria and India to list of countries of particular concern
The bipartisan US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) has expressed “outrage” over the Biden’s administration’s “inexplicable” decision to keep Nigeria and India off the State Department’s list of Countries of Particular Concern (CPC) when it added Cuba and Nicaragua to the list on Friday, Christianity Today reports.

View the full article