IGNORED

'Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.'

farouk

Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.

• Yes, they do work; they are effective
    • No, they don't work; they are not effective
    • Don't know
    • I have my thoughts but would prefer not to express them

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2023 at 08:28 PM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.13
  • Days Won:  31

18 hours ago, JasperWalls11 said:

There should not be too much controversy over it.  Sometimes, we can make an issue out of a nonissue. .. make sure that the tattoos are in an inconspicuous area that is easy to cover up with a shirt or blouse. To me, that's just commonsense.

@JasperWalls11 It's almost a bit amusing that up here between October and May with the colder weather come the long sleeves; then when May comes ppl serving in stores might suddenly show that they are tattooed; and sometimes it's ppl who might not at all fit the stereotypical image of a tattooed person. (And then in October the tattoos may suddenly disappear under the sleeves again for several months.)

I think it's a bit like double pierced ears, which have been around for several decades now. Although originally double studded earlobes might have been briefly regarded as a bit edgy, fashion-wise; yet today earnest, Godly grandmothers might have worn their double pairs of studs continuously for several decades and be regarded as the epitome of conservatism.

Today it's likely that a lot of ppl getting a little ink on a wrist - whether or not a Bible ref., etc. - would simply regard it like getting a second stud put in.

Similarly, for a lot of ppl of very conservative outlooks and tastes ...

GodsGrace said:

"almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types" source: christianityboard dot com

... the doorway into a tattoo parlor would likely not now inherently induce anxiety.

Thanks to all who voted so far in the poll.

NB: If you have not yet voted in the poll, please vote now.

PS: @Anne2 I'm not even sure if on the polls it's technically possible for ppl to change the way they have voted.....(but of course some ppl may not even want to do this in any case......!)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  226
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1

25 minutes ago, farouk said:

@JasperWalls11 It's almost a bit amusing that up here between October and May with the colder weather come the long sleeves; then when May comes ppl serving in stores might suddenly show that they are tattooed; and sometimes it's ppl who might not at all fit the stereotypical image of a tattooed person. (And then in October the tattoos may suddenly disappear under the sleeves again for several months.)

I think it's a bit like double pierced ears, which have been around for several decades now. Although originally double studded earlobes might have been briefly regarded as a bit edgy, fashion-wise; yet today earnest, Godly grandmothers might have worn their double pairs of studs continuously for several decades and be regarded as the epitome of conservatism.

Today it's likely that a lot of ppl getting a little ink on a wrist - whether or not a Bible ref., etc. - would simply regard it like getting a second stud put in.

Similarly, for a lot of ppl of very conservative outlooks and tastes ...

GodsGrace said:

"almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types" source: christianityboard dot com

... the doorway into a tattoo parlor would likely not now inherently induce anxiety.

It really depends on your line of work, in my opinion.  If a person is working for a company where conservative appearances (e.g., suit, tie, skirt, blouse, etc), are expected by bosses and clientele, then you want to keep your tattoos limited to locations that you can easily keep covered.   If you're the night janitor at a local high school, the location of your tattoos, might be less important. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JasperWalls11 said:

...working for a company where conservative appearances (e.g., suit, tie, skirt, blouse, etc), are expected by bosses and clientele, then you want to keep your tattoos limited to locations that you can easily keep covered. 

@JasperWalls11 This is also why in a formal work environment or even a solemn prayer meeting, etc., a pantsuit for women can be especially suitable.

I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.

I have debated about getting a cross tattoo of some sort of 1689 tattoo that isn't too gaudy. ..She [wife] actually has three tattoos. I have two, so she has more than me. image.gif.8df6b8ce5d40cd9f19a3dd1822011658.gif.. Actually, last year she got two tats the same day. One is ‘faith’ and ‘believe’. christianityboard dot com

On 5/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, Ps37 said:

I have no issue with anyone else having them, especially when they involve Scripture.

@Ps37 I think that the proportion of ppl who appreciate tattoo art compared to those who actually have used a tattoo artist is likely far greater:

I'm too old to get any with my skin, but I do love to watch Ink Master
CharismaticLady christianityboard dot com

This all forms the wider background for those who consider Scripture/ faith based tattoo designs to be viable witness tools.

image.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2023 at 8:51 AM, Ps37 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

@Ps37 So did you see the guy again? or see any more faith based tattoos lately?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, farouk said:

@Ps37 So did you see the guy again? or see any more faith based tattoos lately?

No, just a random crossing of paths at a home improvement store.

Any other tattoos I've seen since then have been secular, which is fine by me as well.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:04 AM, JasperWalls11 said:

That's interesting because I actually know more women than men with tattoos. 

@JasperWalls11 PS: Although for a while it was regarded as a man thing, among women it's something that has grown exponentially, it seems.

FYI:

Paula Castle took up tattooing after being made redundant from a sales job ..."I really did not want to do it. ...But I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so I said ‘yes’ and really pushed myself and I’ve not stopped...About 97% of my clients are female and that is universal across the board."

James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

Once - in some some cases - the courage to do it has been plucked up, the increasing profusion of tattoos among women - having it done by an artist with whom they feel comfortable - forms part of the background and potential for faith based designs, it would seem.

On 5/26/2023 at 1:37 AM, NConly said:

I think many are seeing Tats as Not a Sin.

@NConly Even among Christians, motives can be a complicated thing, but one can respect someone wanting to testify with a Bible verse or ref., presumably.

It's probable that, though it's subjective I guess, when Christians finally go ahead and get their first tattoo after maybe thinking about it for a long time, many of them are likely to feel good about it, don't you think?