How my Dad quit smoking.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

My Dad had seen some hard times in the past, and it drove him to smoke, and to smoke usually

more than one pack a day for years. In the late '50s evidence mounted on the media about

the heavy risks involved in smoking, and he decided to quit about 1960. It was difficult to do,

but he was determined, and he did it. He quit cold turkey, and I never saw him smoke again.

And he lived until 2002. I am certain that if he had not quit he would not have lived any where as

long as that. He was also baptized just a few years before his death. His quitting also helped to stop

me from ever having my first smoke. Thank you Jesus!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

5 minutes ago, secondtimearound said:

My Dad had seen some hard times in the past, and it drove him to smoke, and to smoke usually

more than one pack a day for years. In the late '50s evidence mounted on the media about

the heavy risks involved in smoking, and he decided to quit about 1960. It was difficult to do,

but he was determined, and he did it. He quit cold turkey, and I never saw him smoke again.

And he lived until 2002. I am certain that if he had not quit he would not have lived any where as

long as that. He was also baptized just a few years before his death. His quitting also helped to stop

me from ever having my first smoke. Thank you Jesus!

Hi @secondtimearound Great to have been smoke-free for 42 years, right?

It used to be that mothers and fathers and sons and daughters would almost 'inherit' the smoking habit. A century ago, with women working in factories and then with huge numbers of women joining the military, it became pretty normal for teen daughters to start to share the contents of their mothers' cigarette packs; and for fathers and sons to go to a bar for beer in a smoke-filled establishment.

• Thumbs Up 2