• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,361
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  99

What has been, it is what will be,
And what has been done, it is what will be done.
So there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one might say,
“See this, it is new”?
It has already existed for ages
Which were before us.
There is no remembrance of the earlier things,
And of the later things as well, which will occur,
There will be no remembrance of them
Among those who will come later still.

(Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 NASB)

I encountered something from U.S. history that speaks volumes about this passage of scripture from Ecclesiastes, testifying of the truth that what has been, is what will be; and what has been done, is what will be done. 

Consider the numerous demonstrations against the military draft here in the United States during the Vietnam War. Young men were tearing up and/or burning their draft notices, vowing to escape to Canada or face prison than serve in that war. Understand that this is nothing new under the sun. What has been, is what will be. 

There is a propensity among some to glamorize the past, casting it in a favorable light compared to the present day. Some have said that the anti-draft demonstrations of the late 1960s and early 1970s were "anti-American" but true to scripture, there is no remembrance of the earlier things. How so?

The New York City Draft Riots, which took place from July 13th until the 16th in 1863, testifies of this truth. Bear in mind that there were other anti-draft riots during the course of the Civil War but this event particularly stands out with regard to the measures taken by President Lincoln. The president mobilized militia and volunteers to crush the riot. Over 1,200 Americans were killed by troops. It was a massacre.

There are many such examples to be found in the histories of man. That is only one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Well I would agree with most of all that even though I'm not completely sure what the point is being made? But as far as nothing new under the sun verse, I'm sure there were likely many other useless wars that basically accomplished nothing worth while, other than just one more very interesting and impactful historical event to discuss and argue about, not to disrespect the very many traumatized soldiers who served in that conflict.

But just really not familiar with what any of those other similar wars were or when they might have occurred...?