3rd century church discovery in Israel - more news

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe to some; but not to all. Communion...Holy Eucharist....is the central focus of our worship service.....the Mass. We celebrate our "oneness" in the body of Christ; we "do this in memory" of Him; and we "recognize Him in the breaking of the bread".

But I'm not sure the way it was done then is the way we do it now.

Is the Table at the center of your room?

Does everyone sit around it without regard to priest or laiety?

Can you have communion without a priest to give it to you?

It would be a bit difficult to get 300 people around the Table. I admit.

:laugh:

(I don't mean to sound argumentative; I'm actually feeling pretty mellow at the moment. So please take this in the spirit it is given-----a gentle spirit.)

Does the archeological finding conclude that there was no priest standing with the people? As someone here has pointed out, Jesus sat around the table with His Apostles, yet He was the one who offered the bread and wine. Did the Apostles give communion to themselves?

However, we in fact do ALL offer the bread and wine with the priest ("May the Lord accept this sacrifice from your hands, for the praise and glory of His name; for our good and the good of all his church"); and we ALL offer the Body and Blood of Christ to the Father, thru the priest as he says, "Thru Him, with Him, in Him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor are Yours, Almighty Father, forever and ever"....and the people respond "Amen!", indicating their participation in the offering.

Peace to you,

Fiosh

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sorry . . .

I still get a different picture from the table described in the article than I see in services today.