George

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

There is a huge difference between praying just so that others see you and "advertising"

The former means that we are not to do so that we may have others say how "holy" or "spiritual" we are. It is done for pride and for show.

The latter is a comandment from Jesus. We are to go out and to spead the Goodnews and to talk about God.

Then don't complain when Muslims, Mormons, Scientologists or Wiccans do the same thing. -- My son said the kids at his school that talk about "God" all the time are the meanest kids there and wouldn't know God if he was standing right in front of them.

We have lots of churches in which to spread the good news as well as radio stations. It's there if people want to hear it but I for one don't appreciate it when I'm busy and I have to drop what I'm doing to answer the door and find Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses standing there ready to spread their version of the "good news" to me. I know where their temple and church building are, they don't need to come to my house OR up to the public school behind my back to try and convert my child behind my back. That usurps my authority as a parent and I do not appreciate that.

Edited by anti-hillbilly

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/05/1967

There is a huge difference between praying just so that others see you and "advertising"

The former means that we are not to do so that we may have others say how "holy" or "spiritual" we are. It is done for pride and for show.

The latter is a comandment from Jesus. We are to go out and to spead the Goodnews and to talk about God.

Then don't complain when Muslims, Mormons, Scientologists or Wiccans do the same thing.

Relax!! Take a deep breath, or come back when you are able to debate the issue without getting upset when someone disagrees with you.

1. I don't think that you really read what I wrote in my link, if you did you wouldn't be getting so upset.

2. I agree!! That is exactly my point. The fact that they have all of these banns on Christians and our Faith, while at the same time allow the teachings of Muhammad in these same schools.

3. Reread my words in this thread!! I myself have stated that as parents we should be the ones to teach religion to our children.

4. It is the hypocracy that seems to be the problem.

5. It is unConstitutional for the Government to EVER make ANY laws that prohibit the free expression of religion. Yes, this includes any and all.

The problem is that witches, muslims, etc... are allowed to speak about their religion, but Christianity is the only religion that is being restricted as far as free expression.

Edited by amdntstr

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I do not care for the school system teaching or endoctrinating our children to ANY religion or faith. I do believe that children should be able to gather on school property to discuss their beliefs as long as it does not interfere with academics during school hours. Obviously no religion should be taught in a public school but there should be no reason why religious expression should be regulated just because a childs parents don't like what their children are saying. The idea that a parent would be offended because their child overheard other children talking about Jesus is frustrating. I suppose those same parents would be fine with classes on Islam or witchcraft as long as Jesus were left out.

Exactly!!! I agree!!

Christians make up almost 90% of our population; Christianity is not being persecuted.

I don't have a problem with Jesus at all; I have a problem with some people's version of "God's will" and I have a problem with people violating the 1st amendment via my child behind my back. I think the big problem, that too many people are overlooking, is at the very root of the 1st amendment....it's denominational. The founding fathers were familiar with what the Catholic church did to Europe and what the Puritans did to Quakers and others they accused of witchcraft.

In our school system the E-Free youth pastor is allowed to go into the schools at all hours and has tried to get HS boys to leave the building and go to lunch with him AND he is basically engaging in "sheep stealing" at school...on taxpayers time. The school board is loaded down with members of the E-Free church. The Catholics, the Lutherans, the Prebysterians and the Methodists all have their youth groups and they meet at their respective churches and NEVER enter the school to prostelytize. E-Free on the otherhand is on a "sneaky mission" to get the non-E-Free children to betray their own churches and start going to theirs.

I wouldn't want the Mormons, Scientologists or Muslims to do this but I also do not want the E-Free dispensationalists to do this either; it's just flat out wrong and I'm not the only parent around here that feels this way.

Hope that clarifies my position on this subject.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

quote aint-hillbilly: "That usurps my authority as a parent and I do not appreciate that."

So, using the same argument do you oppose parental notification if a minor tries to have an abortion?

quote aint-hillbilly: "Christians make up almost 90% of our population; Christianity is not being persecuted."

Give me an example of where our legal system and public education system allows for the freedom of religious expression. We have given lots of examples contrary to your statement.

There is a Catholic bishop in a neighborhood that was told by the neighborhood council that he cannot display a concrete cross in the front yard of his house. Tell me that ain't persecution.

Or how about the 3-cross memorial in Las Cruces, Ca that was ordered to be removed by 9th circuit court of appeals and it took an act of Ca State legislature to convert the monument into a federal monument. Tell me that aint persecution.

The 10 commandments being taken down.

the ACLU sueing the boy scouts because they are Christian

Not allowed to pray on school grounds.

"Christmas" or "Christmas carols" allowed during the season.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1653810/posts

Not allowing the children to "freely express" their religion is a violation of the 1st Admendment.

Have you read the 1st Admendment?? I know I posted it.

I've posted it too, verbatim. But, ideologically driven people refuse to understand it's literal meaning. They'd rather interpret it through a theoretical philosophy.

The 10 commandments could be posted in every church yard across America but you never see that. Is it because their church hours are posted there and they break the Sabbath one right off the bat? They prefer instead to try and "ram" it into public courtrooms even though only 2 of the commandments are against U.S. Law; sometimes a third one if a person is under oath [lying]. And as I've said already children can pray at school and anywhere else for that matter; attempting to force the government to endorse it is the thing that is illegal as it should be. Sometimes it does go too far the other way and the ACLU does defend those cases too though you'll never hear that side from Christian sources.

I don't know the details of why someone can't put a cross up on their own private property; seems to me thay certainly have the right to do that.

Churches don't pay taxes even though Jesus said give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's and give to God what is God's; wish I could be so persecuted!

We have plenty of freedom as Christians but we have that freedom due to our secular laws. It is when the misguided zealots among us forcibly attempt to cross the line that they run into trouble. With freedom goes responsibility.

The Los Cruces Cross was on govt property wasn't it? Why didn't the churches just buy the property or move/put the cross up on private property; they certainly have the taxfree dollars to do both; problem solved.

Evidently I understand the 1st amendment better than some of you. Do you want to see a repeat of the dark ages? I don't and that's what is going to end up happening if some of you insist on pursuing this slippery slope you are on. Only this time around it'll be the fundamentalists dictating the "rules" instead of the Catholics.....at least for now.....that could change as more illegal immigrants flood into this country bringing their Catholicism with them possibly making that the dominate denomination in the U.S. at some point. That's something you need to think about and keep in mind that was the "problem" that motivated the Danberrry Baptists to complain to Thomas Jefferson which in turn lead to the famous line about a separation of church and state. There's religious freedom and then there's religious tryanny; be careful which one you support.

I notice none of you commented on the problem I told you about in our local school system. What do you guys think about an E-Free youth minister being given free reign of the school, enticing HS boys to leave the building with him at lunch without their parents permission?

First of all, churches are not taxed, because the income they receive has already been taxed and they do not make a profit off that income. I believe Christ was speaking to us individually when He said to render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's, not collectively as a unified Christian body. We already give our tribute to "Ceasar" when we pay federal, state (some states) and local taxes.

I have no idea what the e-church is. But, you are claiming that this guy is enticing HS students to leave campus and have lunch with him? In what way?

entice: v : provoke someone to do something through (often false or exaggerated) promises or persuasion.

The issue at Las Cruces was that it was a memorial to fallen soldiers owned and established by the city that has had that memorial for decades. People were saying that the city was forcing Christianity on it's population. That certainly wasn't the case, but nevertheless, since the City could not afford a major lawsuit against the ACLU, they bypassed the process and made the memorial a federal landmark. It's a pity it has come to that. What's next, outlawing crosses on headstones in city owned cemetaries?