• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

I will definatly look into the Good News Bible

The GNB is worth looking into, even for scholars. There are those who mock it because it is easy to understand, but scholars don't mock it. The UBS use it as a base version for their translating guide.

I have never thought of NIV as an advanced version.

But you are not 11 years old- are you?

the King James is the one I struggle with occasionally.

There are those who like it to be believed that the difficulty all find, adults too, in reading the 'King James' is a sign of its advanced nature. That is as intelligent as saying that, to an English speaker, a French Bible is more spiritual than an English one. The 'KJ' is difficult for us because it is archaic- and there are those who believe that it was intended to be archaic when it was first published.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

Agreed, Pointer, and well put. I'd recommend The Message. It's what I've given to some friends of mine who aren't quite ready to dive into the NIV, yet still are searching. Blessings, A.P.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/19/1948

I would heartily endorse the Good News Bible as it is good for young people or low reading level Bible students. It is less likely to fall into the errors of both the NIV and The Message.

Good, except that there are no errors in the NIV...

All published English translations contain errors, or deliberate changes of meaning. One has a choice of errors- unless one uses original languages.

I would heartily endorse the Good News Bible as it is good for young people or low reading level Bible students. It is less likely to fall into the errors of both the NIV and The Message.

I would agree with you entirely, except for the word 'low'. There are now Bibles written specifically for people of low reading ability, but the GNB is not at all in that category. It was written partly to offset criticism of the Bible brought about by existing English Bibles, namely the KJV and RSV, which were famously and increasingly the object of criticism and even ridicule for difficult sentence construction and archaisms, particularly the KJV. So the GNB was intentionally easy to read, but it was aimed at people of ordinary, but not defective, education. It may be that reading skills have improved over the last few decades, and more people can now take in the NIV more easily, and make use of its greater technical accuracy. The GNB has no serious compromises as 'low ability' versions tend to have, and the scholar can read it with as much interest as any other translation (and quite possibly more!).

We should remember that the NT, at least, was not written by scholars for scholars, and is in quite ordinary Greek, for the most part. There is no particular value in esotericism, anyway.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

The NIV is an abomination. If someone wants the pure Word of God, they should stick with the Authorized King James Version Bible, or better yet, the 1611 edition King James Bible.

I have always liked the New King James Version, do you have a problem with that one?

i think it's an abomination that people pass judgement and say that the NIV is an abomination. it's a version that millions of people have used to get closer to God. so essentially anyone who is KJV only is saying that if someone is drawing closer to God is doing it in a way that they (the kjv crowd) doesn't approve of, then the seeker's relationship with God is abominable.

somehow i don't think God would appreciate such arrogance.

i'll say this again. the word of God never comes back void.

i think it's an abomination that people pass judgement and say that the NIV is an abomination. it's a version that millions of people have used to get closer to God. so essentially anyone who is KJV only is saying that if someone is drawing closer to God is doing it in a way that they (the kjv crowd) doesn't approve of, then the seeker's relationship with God is abominable.

I don't see it as the Word of God. I see it as a tainted version of the Bible. It contains some truth and some lies. No, I am not claiming that those who draw closer to God in spite of a false translation are an abomination.

If they believe lies, they must be an abomination, unless the lies are of scant importance. Are KJVOers significantly better Christians than those who read any other version? Are they better Christians that those who read Scripture in original languages?

If so, how are they better? If not, why aren't they?

Much agreed, Lady C, and amen to that!