• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

Christian parents with school age children....do you sit down with them and ask what they are learning in school?  Do you inquire about their homework, special assigned projects?  With all the legislative changes incorporated over the past 20 years  to wipe GOD/CHRIST out of the American language you need to be , if not.  It starts at the lowest levels of our children's education and permeates throughout the educational system.

So I ask again...do YOU ask your children what they're learning in school?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Not only do we ask, we look through their school books at the beginning of each year/semester/quarter to see what things are in the books.

We also go over their homework with them every night (even the stuff we don't understand like MATH!  ;) ) and we talk about it.

We talk about school, work, friends, etc. at the breakfast table on weekdays (they get up MUCH earlier than hubby and I do on the weekends!  :rofl: ) and the dinner table every night, whether we are eating out or at home.  We are very involved with our kids' lives.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

A big thumbs up to Missy....I know so many parents who just don't ask their kids to talk about their day anymore...

My friend has a 8 yr old girl who goes to the local public school...and she likes to wear her christian shirt..you know "jesus loves me"...she comes home to do homework and she has to make a sentence using her list of spelling words...well this little girl always finds a way of putting the Lord in her sentence...(what a wonderful thing isn't it)...anyway parent teacher conferences is coming up and my friend is wondering if anything negative is going to be said to her about what her daughter writes, or wears...

She is preparing for it...I myself homeschool my kids... I have a boy 9 and a girl 5....now in a few years when they are smarter than their mommy :butbut:  then I may have to check different avenues...

Its good people like Missy and her hubby that raise the great adults that this world needs :thumb:

Love and Blessings to all here

Angel H.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Praise and Glory goes to the Lord.

Angel, homeschooling your kids is a wonderful gift from the Lord and your kiddos are and will reap the benefits from that their whole lives! Praise God you are able to do this!

I would love to homeschool mine but they are 14, 13 and 10. I would only be able to do subjects like history, geography, anything having to do with reading or writing.  I am not that great in the sciences and I am terrible in that horrible four letter word subject: MATH. I can barely help my 10-year old with his math and forget about my 8th grader and 9th grader!

Hey don't feel bad Missy...mine are 9 and 5...and my 9yr old son is already doing math where I have to read the back of the book to figure it out :rofl: ......truly though they are both almost as smart as me already ;) ...what I will do with them down the road...eeeeek!!!...I know that there are some homeschool groups where you can trade off subjects...hope I find a good one soon.

Love and Blessings

Angel H.

Guest tarrier

Hello Wisdom

I think this is a great question!

Although we homeschool our children, I ask them questions about their lives ALL THE TIME.  I ask them what they think about things most days.  I like to know how they are thinking, where their heart is.  What their views are on a variety of topics.  I do it in a discreet way, as not to let them know what I'm doing! LOL!  

When we took our children out of public school, I was shocked at what they were learning.  One daughter, for her Indonesian class, was learning all the terms and names of gods in their culture.  The younger two, had to attend sex ed classes, via Harold the friendly giraffe.  I had opposed this and asked the teacher not to allow mine to attend, but they didn't honour my request.  

Funny how it is always after the effect that you find these things out, eh?  

I'm grateful to the Lord that He taught us that there was another way, BEFORE all the children attended high school.  They were 14, 8 and 6 when we took them out of school.  They are now 20, 14 and 12.  

Angel and Missy ~ fear not, dear sisters.  I implore you not to worry too much about how you are going to teach your children as they get older.  If you can create a love of learning with your children, you are 80% 'there'.  ANYTHING you can teach them, offer them will be 100% better than sending them back to any school, public or private.  You are the most qualified.  I've said this so many times, and I'll say it again ~ if your children can read, write, do basic maths, they can learn anything, and if they have a love of learning, they will swat, research, do projects ON THEIR OWN.  They will want to.  

I know that many parents worry (as I did) about the children being accepted at college and University.  There are so many community colleges, technical institutes, university prep courses that children can attend BEFORE it's time to go off to uni full time (if that's what they want to do).  Start preparing their 'resume's' now.  Document all that they have done academically, sport wise, in the community ~ helping the aged, the young mothers, babysitting, etc, the church ~ singing, youth and sunday school etc.  This will help so much.  If nothing else, it shows their prospective further  education body that they have character (which will go a long way).  

I have mentioned all of the above for those of you who would like your children to go further in their education after the required school leaving age.  We do not sway towards the 'further education', because we feel that we have kept them from a lot of new age and humanistic thinking for so long, that we are unwilling to allow them to do so as they get older.  Universities are rife with multiculturalism (which is not tolerance of other cultures as we look at it).  It is rather having the students learn about other peoples gods, IMHO.  

We tend rather towards them starting their own business.  Our son knows he will one day have to support himself and his own family, and that he must work hard, mind his own business etc.  Our girls know that their first calling is as wives and mothers.  Until then, however, we have no objection to them learning whatever they choose from home.  

If we feel that any of our children do need extra tuition in the basics, (I haven't got to that point yet, praise God), I will enquire whether I can sit with them in a tutors class.  

(We learned of so many options from our local homeschool curriculum supplier!)

Anyway, I've rambled.  As you can see ~ this is my passion.  It hasn't always been easy, as the children get older, they think for themselves, and it is not a matter of telling them what to do like it was when they were younger.  They need to learn obedience AND have a loving heart.  

Thanks for listening....

Tarrier

Tarrier,

It still amazes me everyday when the Lord leads me here and I get confirmation on an issue....meaning you talking about your children starting their own business...that is exactely what my hubby and I are talking about...my husband is hoping to start his own business in a few years...alot of work and time its going to take and I know that with Gods blessing it will work...our main concern is that our children have something that they can step into and work when they are older....ya know then daddy can retire and just be there for advice!

And yes my oldest can read and write and he is pretty good with numbers too...I have found out that the way he goes about getting his answers is beyond me...he tries to explain to me how he does it...and I have this first instinct to tell him that its to difficult the way hes doing it..but then I step back and tell him he can figure it anyway he wants as long as he gets the right answer....I know from experience that some schools won't allow this...you have to figure it out their way.

By the way my 5 year old read her first story the other day also...she is soooo excited...ya know the kind.........cat...cat sat...rat....rat sat...etc...

Well as I ramble...I will have to remember you Tarrier cuz there is times I have questions about the homeschooling and you sound very up and excited about it....as you can see...I am too...

Love and Blessings

Angel H.