ethical.atheist

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

If one continues on your thought line then a moral absolute is possible only if it can be observed all of the time. Why should that be?
Well that kind of follows the definition of "absolute."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Aren't biblical moral absolutes the same as the Ten Commandments? I think so but if I'm missing something please feel free to let me know.

If they are as I believe them to be, then isn't the purpose of the Ten Commandments to show us our need for God's mercy? And isn't His mercy demonstrated by the offering of unconditional love and acceptance through Jesus Christ? And this is because Jesus bore the punishment for our sins on the cross? I believe this is correct.

So, the purpose of moral absolutes isn't so much to cut our hand off when caught in the cookie jar, but to get us to realize we need to repent and recieve forgiveness.

Now, how does that relate to Secondeve's "stealing to feed the kids" type scenario?

The first sin is that our society didn't help the family in need (assuming they asked for help and/or were visible to the public). The second could be that the stealing parent didn't get off his rump and get a job and relies on theft as a means to get by. The third could be that the grocer didn't show mercy when and if they realized the family's dire need.

I think we could go further with this but the problem is the fallen world we live in. In the Garden of Eden, there was no need to steal food, it was all around them. There was no need to murder, there was nothing to gain by it. There was no one to hate and no reason to hate them. There was only one true God to worship...until they wanted to be like God themselves. Again, we could go on and on.

The point is, in a perfect world, moral absolutes are the natural state of things. No one is hungry or deprived of any need. And the bibles message is that God's plan is to restore earth back to it's Eden like status. It will be done in His timing and He does not want anyone to perish. Thus the FREE gift of mercy and grace through Jesus Christ our Lord. Moral absolutes (or the Ten Commandments) are meant to be a like a mirror that reflects back to us a true and sobering picture of what we are compared to the standards of God.

Does this make sense?

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I am going to digress from the topic by a small bit, but its a question to raise as food for thought.

Suppose that moral absolutes exist (I believe it does)

Now the question is:

Are God subject to these moral absolutes?

OR

Does god Dictates whats morally acceptable as absolutes?

Before you choose, the first choice indicate people can be moral without God, because Moral can exist in the absence of God since it comes before God and God in turn is obliged to obey absolute values of morality.

the second choice opens up the question to evaluate if Absolute Values can be considered "absolute" if they were made because if God could made moral values this way, they could have changed the value to some other kind of moral value such as one that indicate it is okay to stone people to death.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  314
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

moral absolutism. The ism indicates belief, so it's not wrong because it is a belief. I believe differently. I am not wrong because it is my belief. Decide who is right amongst yourselves if you wish, but what I am saying is what is in mans heart, and mans heart is never wrong, even when its wrong. get it?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

moral absolutism. The ism indicates belief, so it's not wrong because it is a belief. I believe differently. I am not wrong because it is my belief. Decide who is right amongst yourselves if you wish, but what I am saying is what is in mans heart, and mans heart is never wrong, even when its wrong. get it?
Oh you apathetic skeptic! Let's just never try to understand anything, because it won't make a difference! :)

I am not wrong because it is my belief.
It gets dangerous when part of your beliefs are that you are right. Edited by ethical.atheist

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Oh you apathetic skeptic! Let's just never try to understand anything, because it won't make a difference! :)

I am not wrong because it is my belief.
It gets dangerous when part of your beliefs are that you are right.

Man: (kills babies)

Police: MURDERER!!

Man: I AM NOT A MURDERER!! I AM NOT WRONG BECAUSE IT IS MY BELIEF!

Police: ... sure buddy

Man: GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT!

Okay I don't want to push buttons, but when you believe you're right because your belief tells you so we get Suicide Bombers and Jihadists.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

...when you believe you're right because your belief tells you so we get Suicide Bombers and Jihadists.

This is not necessarilly true at all. It's not about believing you are right, but about believing that others should die for their beliefs. It doesn't take religion to incite people to kill in such a manner.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Man: (kills babies)

Police: MURDERER!!

Man: I AM NOT A MURDERER!! I AM NOT WRONG BECAUSE IT IS MY BELIEF!

Police: ... sure buddy

Man: GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT!

Okay I don't want to push buttons, but when you believe you're right because your belief tells you so we get Suicide Bombers and Jihadists.

I agree...

Hitler: (kills Jews and millions of others)

World: MURDERER!

Hitler: I AM NOT A MURDERER!! I AM NOT WRONG BECAUSE IN TRUTH, I BELIEVE WE'RE A SUPREME RACE BECAUSE DARWINISM AND NIETZSCHE SAY SO. I ONLY TELL PEOPLE I'M RELIGIOUS FOR POLITICAL GAIN! I ACTUALLY HATE RELIGION AND I AM AN ATHEIST ADHERENT!

World: Sure buddy....that makes it okay...

Hitler: I SAY IT'S OKAY BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MORAL ABSOLUTES. WHO CAN TELL ME IT'S WRONG TO KILL JEWS AND ANYONE WHO OPPOSES MY RULE!?! WHO'S DEFINITION OF MORALITY!?! I'M IN CHARGE! I DEFINE MORALITY! I AM GOD!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/05/1970

...when you believe you're right because your belief tells you so we get Suicide Bombers and Jihadists.

This is not necessarilly true at all. It's not about believing you are right, but about believing that others should die for their beliefs. It doesn't take religion to incite people to kill in such a manner.

All theological propositions aside...philosophical...one cannot make an ought statement into an is statement. In other words, i will have a hard time proving empiracelly any ethical statement I make. I can tell you "one ought not murder", but I cannot say it is like gravity (which is very difficult to argue against empirically). This is why belief and what-one-believes-ought-to-be-done are so intimately related. No one believes, being "honest is true" and "gravity exists" in the same way. Hence, we will always disagree [because it (belifes about what one should do) derives from belief).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  314
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

morality is determined by ones feelings towards good or bad. We define what moral and immoral are. In other words we put words to it. If we never knew of morality in the spoken or written word it would still exist via natural law or instinct. One would always frown upon another who killed as our humanity, and our nature is that of a social one. Murder would clearly be anti-social and therefore unaccepted regardless of the "harm" one caused to another. It would also be viewed as pointless unless food was involved. In other words killing another man would be an ignorant act.

Murder is ignorant

Murder is pointless

Murder is anti-social

Nothing positive can be found in murder

Murder is therefore wrong