IGNORED

Creation in 6 literal Days

JIME

Creation: 6 Literal Days or Long periods of time  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How long was creation?

• Long periods of time. (Old Earth)
    • 6 Literal (24 hours) Days. (Young Earth)
    • I don't know.
    • It's not important to the cause of Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Well, then how do you explain that God told us to work for six days and rest on the 7th?

Are we to work 6ooo years then rest on the 7th?

Of course not.

If God wanted the creation story to mean anything other than 24 literal hours, then He wouldnt have been so precise in saying "the evening and the morning".

He told us to do like Him. Work 6 days then rest.

God does not spread confusion.

Why are people always trying to read more into His Word then what it says?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

Any good lexicon or Hebrew speaking person can tell you that when;Evening and morning and a number is with the word yom it means a literal 24 hour hour day.

also as far as the Days not begining until day 4. there is a problem with this anology. Because if the Bible is infalliable, If you were correct about day 4 being the start of the days.

then the Bible should read Day 1 where day 4 is , and it does not. it reads day 4. This would make either the Bible a liar or the old earth creation theory a false doctrine.

I will vote for the Bible. The fit is from Genesis Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4. it's the only explaination that actually works.

Also: As far as the age of the earth being of not important, If Old age Creation is right, then moses also lied in Exodus 20:11, when he said " For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day; werefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Then if you can say that Moses lied we now move to 2 Timothy3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righeousness, and if All scripture is inspired by God, and your saying that moses is not correct, then the doctrine of Old Earth would make God falliable, because the inspiration for what moses said came from God.

Also you can't use long periods of time from day 1-3, and then use just normal days on day 4, because that would make everything from day 4 - 7 inaccurate. for example as I said above day 4 should say day 1 if the days didn't start until the sun was made. or if long periods of time day 4 should be day 4,000 or million or billion or whatever. if this were the case, then you are throwing the long periods of time out the door the words Day (yom) the way it is used would still be inaccurate, God is not an inaccurate God.

also if the plants were made on day 3 and the Sun wasn't made until day 4, and there is 1,000 years or more between day 3 and 4 no plants would survive that long without sun light.

As far as I can tell the Bible doesn't really say when the fall of Satan occured, but that doesn't make the young earth creation wrong, there are many questions that the Bible doesn't answer, If we were to base our belief on the fact that the Bible doesn't answer every question, then where would faith come in.

it appears that some in the church have sunk to a new low placing God's word on trail on whether it actually means what it says. I for one will not be that foolish.

I personally don't believe it's all that important to know if it was a literal 6 days or not. No one can prove it was and no one can prove it wasn't. None of us were there.

We can all point to the bible and say "it says right here", but that really doesn't prove anything. All it says is that you believe in God, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But when we sit here and bicker back and forth about who's right and who's not, it accomplishes nothing. And when we do this in the outer court, the non-believers must think we're crazy. I mean we can't even agree amongst ourselves and we expect them to understand?

So if it was six days, six years, or six thousand years, what difference does it make? The only thing we should be preaching in the outer court is the Gospel. Anything else just leads to contention and that's not what our walk is about.

We don't have to prove anything to anybody. One plants, one waters, but it is God who gives the increase.

As long as we're all on the same page where Christ is concerned, that is all that matters. The only way into the Kingdom is through Christ, and that is the only thing we should be preaching here in the outer court.

That's just my opinion.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/20/1961

I personally don't believe it's all that important to know if it was a literal 6 days or not. No one can prove it was and no one can prove it wasn't. None of us were there.

We can all point to the bible and say "it says right here", but that really doesn't prove anything. All it says is that you believe in God, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But when we sit here and bicker back and forth about who's right and who's not, it accomplishes nothing. And when we do this in the outer court, the non-believers must think we're crazy. I mean we can't even agree amongst ourselves and we expect them to understand?

So if it was six days, six years, or six thousand years, what difference does it make? The only thing we should be preaching in the outer court is the Gospel. Anything else just leads to contention and that's not what our walk is about.

We don't have to prove anything to anybody. One plants, one waters, but it is God who gives the increase.

As long as we're all on the same page where Christ is concerned, that is all that matters. The only way into the Kingdom is through Christ, and that is the only thing we should be preaching here in the outer court.

That's just my opinion.

Amen

Any good lexicon or Hebrew speaking person can tell you that when;Evening and morning and a number is with the word yom it means a literal 24 hour hour day.

your lexicon is broken!

yom can mean a 24 hour period but it's primary usage is that of "epoch" or "age" as in The Day of the Dinosaur

and on the first day the "eretz" was formed which means land but is interpreted as Earth in English translations. So "Land" was created though it doesn't necessarily mean that land was the planet earth.

If you allow "yom" to mean age/epoch (since that is its primary definition) then there isn't a problem with "Old Earth" being completely inline with the biblical account. That doesn't support evolution though. A frog didn't turn into a monkey and then a man.

But there is no reason why a "yom" MUST be a 24 hour period. It can be 6 bazillion years or it can be .00006 nanoseconds.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60

First, lets look at the science:

The current scientific consensus holds that the age of the universe is approximately 13.7 Billion years. (13.7

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

your lexicon is broken!

yom can mean a 24 hour period but it's primary usage is that of "epoch" or "age" as in The Day of the Dinosaur

and on the first day the "eretz" was formed which means land but is interpreted as Earth in English translations. So "Land" was created though it doesn't necessarily mean that land was the planet earth.

If you allow "yom" to mean age/epoch (since that is its primary definition) then there isn't a problem with "Old Earth" being completely inline with the biblical account. That doesn't support evolution though. A frog didn't turn into a monkey and then a man.

But there is no reason why a "yom" MUST be a 24 hour period. It can be 6 bazillion years or it can be .00006 nanoseconds.

Yod,

I'm surprised this is coming from you! and disappointed at the same time :36: are you saying that you don't believe that God created the universe in 6 literal days.

Ok let's forget about the Lexicon a moment, and just use common sense. If the plants were created on day 3, and the sun wasn't created until day 4, and each of these day represent a long period of time, are you saying that you believe that plants can survive a long period of time without sun light? I don't think so. also you will note in Genesis that the insects used to pollenate the plants were made on day 6, that would be impossible for plants to reproduce. Hebrew must be used in the context of what is being said.

and in the context of Genesis days 1-7 it is a literal 24 hour period.

Yod,

I'm surprised this is coming from you! and disappointed at the same time :36: are you saying that you don't believe that God created the universe in 6 literal days.

Ok let's forget about the Lexicon a moment, and just use common sense. If the plants were created on day 3, and the sun wasn't created until day 4, and each of these day represent a long period of time, are you saying that you believe that plants can survive a long period of time without sun light? I don't think so. also you will note in Genesis that the insects used to pollenate the plants were made on day 6, that would be impossible for plants to reproduce. Hebrew must be used in the context of what is being said.

and in the context of Genesis days 1-7 it is a literal 24 hour period.

I am sorry to disappoint you.

All I'm saying is that both interpretations (New and Old Earth) are possible because the only real disagreement is over the definition of the word "yom"

Could God create everything in six 24-hour periods? Of course!

Did He? I don't think that is what the scriptures actually say. The word "yom" says that the Creation was divided into 6 "yom" and again, the primary meaning and useage for that word is an "age" or an "epoch".

God gave us eyes, ears, and a brain to examine the world around us. The evidence seems to indicate that the universe is older than a few thousand years. Either our methods of measurement are flawed (though the speed of light never changes) or God created the universe to look very old. I don't have to know why He would do that...but why would He do that?

We have no way of knowing how long a day was before human science devised a measurement for the earth's rotation in relation to the Sun. I mean, a day at the north pole is 6 months even as we discuss it now.

For some strange reason, whenever I point this out christians think I am supporting evolution and nothing could be further from the truth. Evolution is most flawed because it says that one species became another during one of these "yom".

Science itself proves that can not happen. You throw a fish on the beach every day for a million years and it ain't gonna sprout legs and walk...it dies.

Yet the length of a Creation day should not defined by christian theology...it is defined by God's word and He chose the word "yom"

It can be whatever He wants it to be and that is fine with me.

Six gazillion years or six nanoseconds are both possible by using the word "yom"