IGNORED

Creation in 6 literal Days

JIME

Creation: 6 Literal Days or Long periods of time  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How long was creation?

• Long periods of time. (Old Earth)
    • 6 Literal (24 hours) Days. (Young Earth)
    • I don't know.
    • It's not important to the cause of Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

What I think people primarily miss is that Genesis is not supposed to be taken as literally as people take it. The main point in Genesis is that it contrasts against other pagan creation accounts. The point? Our God created everything...in the beginning He created the heavens (all that we see in the sky as well as the spiritual realm) and the earth (all that we see around us). He did it all ex nihilo rather than utilizing other things.

To take it as 6 literal days misses the poetic meaning of the passage really.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

What I think people primarily miss is that Genesis is not supposed to be taken as literally as people take it. The main point in Genesis is that it contrasts against other pagan creation accounts. The point? Our God created everything...in the beginning He created the heavens (all that we see in the sky as well as the spiritual realm) and the earth (all that we see around us). He did it all ex nihilo rather than utilizing other things.

I fully agree. Moreover, trying to take the creation stories in Genesis litteraly, and thus, putting it in direct opposition to virtually all of modern science, only serves to discredit Christianity to any reasonable and objective individual. The fact is, it cannot be taken litterally because all of science would tell us that it is simply not a litteral account. The Bible is much more than a science book and should not be used as one.

Edited by forrestkc

{{{ The fact is, it cannot be taken literally because all of science would tell us that it is simply not a literal account. The Bible is much more than a science book and should not be used as one. }}} :24:

You are not kidding about the short comings of Science! :24:

Science has not a clue about earth shaking stuff such as..... :24:

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" (Romans 3:23 )

Or

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6:23 )

There is not even a whisper from Science about the upcoming change in all things.... :24:

"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them." (Revelation 20:11 )

And

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea." (Revelation 21:1 )

Symbolic? :24:

Or

Gospel Truth? :24:

Science has not a clue! :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

Yod,

I'm surprised this is coming from you! and disappointed at the same time ;) are you saying that you don't believe that God created the universe in 6 literal days.

Ok let's forget about the Lexicon a moment, and just use common sense. If the plants were created on day 3, and the sun wasn't created until day 4, and each of these day represent a long period of time, are you saying that you believe that plants can survive a long period of time without sun light? I don't think so. also you will note in Genesis that the insects used to pollenate the plants were made on day 6, that would be impossible for plants to reproduce. Hebrew must be used in the context of what is being said.

and in the context of Genesis days 1-7 it is a literal 24 hour period.

I am sorry to disappoint you.

All I'm saying is that both interpretations (New and Old Earth) are possible because the only real disagreement is over the definition of the word "yom"

Could God create everything in six 24-hour periods? Of course!

Did He? I don't think that is what the scriptures actually say. The word "yom" says that the Creation was divided into 6 "yom" and again, the primary meaning and useage for that word is an "age" or an "epoch".

God gave us eyes, ears, and a brain to examine the world around us. The evidence seems to indicate that the universe is older than a few thousand years. Either our methods of measurement are flawed (though the speed of light never changes) or God created the universe to look very old. I don't have to know why He would do that...but why would He do that?

We have no way of knowing how long a day was before human science devised a measurement for the earth's rotation in relation to the Sun. I mean, a day at the north pole is 6 months even as we discuss it now.

For some strange reason, whenever I point this out christians think I am supporting evolution and nothing could be further from the truth. Evolution is most flawed because it says that one species became another during one of these "yom".

Science itself proves that can not happen. You throw a fish on the beach every day for a million years and it ain't gonna sprout legs and walk...it dies.

Yet the length of a Creation day should not defined by christian theology...it is defined by God's word and He chose the word "yom"

It can be whatever He wants it to be and that is fine with me.

Six gazillion years or six nanoseconds are both possible by using the word "yom"

Yod, :24: You are correct yom can mean a long period of time, or a 24 hour day, however context has to drive the meaning.

If we look at context it is saying on day 3 God made the plants, common sense will tell you ;that unless God preforms a miracle, and allows this to happen, then plants can not on their own live over a long period of time without sunlight. The Sun was made on day 4, so if this were a long period of time, the plants would die out.

also the insects were made on day 6, including the ones that pollenante the plants for reproduction. that's a 3 day or in the old earth creationist eyes a 6 billion or million year difference, not good on the plants.

Also what about the Geneology of the Bible, in the book of Genesis; The old earth creation theory would completely throw this out, you know Genesis 5:1. And also the one in Matthew chapter 1. The old earth theory plain and simply says that the Bible is a wrong. If you add the geneologys together you will find it comes close to the 6,000 years supported by young earth creation.

And what about moses in Exodus 20:11; you're Israeli aren't you?, I know you believe what moses said " For in six day the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested on the 7th day; wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." And what about the six day work week, did the Isrealites work 6,000 years and take 1.000 off no of course not. When it is all said and done, the Old Earth creation theory is an Evolutionist attack to make people doubt the validity of the scriptures.

Paul said in , Galatins : 1:9; " As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you then that ye have received, let him be accursed."

:wub: Yod my brother the Book of Genesis is very important: it talks about the curse, and it's the first time that God talks about the coming of the Messiah, in Genesis 3:15.

This book explains the very reason for our Messiah's birth, death, resurection. Genesis talks about how marriage is supposed to be. There is alot here that the enemy would love to make us doubt. If some of the Bible can't be trusted to be accurate, then what about the rest.

This takes me back to the garden, in Genesis chapter 3:1 ; where satan said to eve " yea, hath God said".

:wub:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I fully agree. Moreover, trying to take the creation stories in Genesis litteraly, and thus, putting it in direct opposition to virtually all of modern science, only serves to discredit Christianity to any reasonable and objective individual. The fact is, it cannot be taken litterally because all of science would tell us that it is simply not a litteral account. The Bible is much more than a science book and should not be used as one.

1Timothy 6:20-21: Oh Timothy, keep that which is commited to thy trust, avoid profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: verse 21: which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

You are correct yom can mean a long period of time, or a 24 hour day, however context has to drive the meaning.

If we look at context it is saying on day 3 God made the plants, common sense will tell you ;that unless God preforms a miracle, and allows this to happen, then plants can not on their own live over a long period of time without sunlight. The Sun was made on day 4, so if this were a long period of time, the plants would die out.

also the insects were made on day 6, including the ones that pollenante the plants for reproduction. that's a 3 day or in the old earth creationist eyes a 6 billion or million year difference, not good on the plants.

it would depend on what kind of plants they were. I doubt we have any of those plants around today.

Also what about the Geneology of the Bible, in the book of Genesis; The old earth creation theory would completely throw this out, you know Genesis 5:1. And also the one in Matthew chapter 1. The old earth theory plain and simply says that the Bible is a wrong. If you add the geneologys together you will find it comes close to the 6,000 years supported by young earth creation.

I say the Bible is 100% true and it doesn't have to be 24 hour periods.

no contradiction whatsoever.

And what about moses in Exodus 20:11; you're Israeli aren't you?

I'm from the other promised land, Texas.

, I know you believe what moses said " For in six day the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested on the 7th day; wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." And what about the six day work week, did the Isrealites work 6,000 years and take 1.000 off no of course not.

I believe we are still in the 7th "yom".

When it is all said and done, the Old Earth creation theory is an Evolutionist attack to make people doubt the validity of the scriptures.

I realize that is what you think because I've had this discussion before with new earthers. To me, it looks like you guys are really insecure about your faith if it hinges on this. I've made it quite clear why evolution is flawed so there is no reason for you to imply I support that in any way. We are only debating the length of a day during the time of Creation when actually no one could know for certain.

I don't think its very important to someone's salvation whether they get this "doctrine" down or not. But I also test everything I'm told by theologians versus what the bible actually says.

The New Earth theory could be right....I suppose God could create the universe to look old for no apparent reason. I suppose He could make light a constant speed and then send waves that are measured as originating millions of light years away for no apparent reason.

I just don't think it has to be that way if you allow for the word "yom" to be interpreted as an "epoch" time period (as is the primary definition of the word "yom") instead of a 24 hour day. By the way, we also don't know if the Earth rotated at the same speed back then so why not a 700,000 hour day?

It is reasonable to assume that things were very different when the "eretz" was void and formless than they are today.

Paul said in , Galatins : 1:9; " As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you then that ye have received, let him be accursed."

Do you really think that anyone gets saved by knowing the length of a Creation day?

THAT is not the gospel.

I would never even discuss it with a non-believer. It's not important.

^_^ Yod my brother the Book of Genesis is very important: it talks about the curse, and it's the first time that God talks about the coming of the Messiah, in Genesis 3:15.

This book explains the very reason for our Messiah's birth, death, resurection. Genesis talks about how marriage is supposed to be. There is alot here that the enemy would love to make us doubt. If some of the Bible can't be trusted to be accurate, then what about the rest.

The Bible can absolutely be trusted. It is the absolute truth.

Our disagreement is over how the English translation should be interpreted.

This takes me back to the garden, in Genesis chapter 3:1 ; where satan said to eve " yea, hath God said".

Hath God said these were 24 hour periods...or did He say "yom"?

You want to force it into a particularly western christian theological perspective and it can be nothing else.

I allow that He says what He means and that is enough. He doesn't have to fit into a theological box, He doesn't have to make sense to anyone, and He doesn't have to give every detail for it to be absolutely true.

God created the heavens and earth. That is the main thing we need to glean from the story of Creation.

Then He created man in His image....and there went the neighborhood

:blink:

Also, need I address the infinite sabbath theory again? God is no longer on his sabbath rest, and I can prove that from scripture with one verse, and support it with a second.

John 5:17

But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work

1 Corinthians 12:11

But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

So we see the entire "trinity" or "godhead" is indeed "working" right now. Father, Son, HOly Spirit, he is NOT in a sabbath of rest at this moment, but is working.

I think you are referring to something I wrote in my last post here so I will respond.

You are free to have any opinion you want...but the Bible says God rested from "CREATION". Do you think I'm saying He went to sleep after that?

Is He still creating the universe or not?

My reading of the creation account is as literal as anyones. The only difference is that I accept the usage of the word "yom" in it's primary definition.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I come under seven literal days of the created order with the seventh day rest. The literal meaning in Holy Writ should always be wholly considered before turning to a secondary figurative interpretation. The God of the ROCKS is also the same God of the BOOK and I'm of the considered opinion that He would never contradict himself in either facet. Why not simply BELIEVE Moses & his inspired writing rather than striving to turn the genesis Record of creation on its head?

Man's attempt to re-invent and spend precious time second-guessing as it were the divine statement of creation in Genesis One reminds me of the hunter walking thru the jungle & finding a huge dead rhinoceros with a pygmy standing proudly by. Amazed, the hunter asked the pygmy, "Did you kill that rhino?" "Why, yes!" said the pygmy. "How could a little fella like you kill a beast like that?" "Oh, I killed it with my club!," explained the pygmy. The astonished hunter exclaimed, "WOW! How big is your club?" The pygmy replied, "There are about 90 of us!" Ergo, God has spoken. Genesis One is abundantly clear. The Creator did it His way, not ours. Why doubt it in any way? And if we have some lingering questions, let us believe God. The fact is: God wrote Genesis - and the entire Bible - by the very Word of His Power. Thank You, Lord Jesus!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

ADDENDUM - Sorry, but the pygmy caper is courtesy Reader's Digest. Thanx. A.D.