Michael333

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Why should the Bible be taken as a rule of faith at all, let alone as the sole rule of faith? Why do you accept the Bible as inspired, because the Bible can be taken as a rule of faith only if it is first held to be inspired and thus inerrant.

Some may say he accepts the Bible as inspired (whatever that means to him) for some

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

The Catholic believes in inspiration because the Church tells him so

The Holy Spirit is God telling me His Word is true and trustworthy. He delivers food to my spirit with the meat from within it. It speaks to me, shouts to me, whispers to me, pushes me, moves me and CHANGES me. That is the proof I need. Not subjective, because I can see how it does the same thing to others...and has done so since before the Catholic Church decided it was the authority on all things spiritual.

So, if the Holy Spirit speaks, shouts, whispers, pushes, moves, and changes you, and others that you have seen the same thing, why do so many others say the exact same thing, yet interpret scripture with so many differences? Does the Holy Spirit contradict himself? Are you saying the Holy Spirit speaks to you and the others you mentioned, and not to anyone else? Everyone else are liers :laugh: The Main question is "How do YOU know for certain that the Bible is inspired?" If I thought it was not, prove to me that it is.

I beleive that it would make perfectly good sense that the Holy Spirit works through the Church that Christ established -- which in turn makes the Church a very good source to tell me that the Bible is inspired or not don't you think? Basically, the Holy Spirit speaks, shouts, whispers, pushes, moves and CHANGES me and all other Catholics the same way it does you - as well as being verifiable through the infallible teaching authority of the Church. In no way does the Church do this in absense of the Holy Spirit.

Guest shiloh357

The Holy Spirit is God telling me His Word is true and trustworthy. He delivers food to my spirit with the meat from within it. It speaks to me, shouts to me, whispers to me, pushes me, moves me and CHANGES me. That is the proof I need. Not subjective, because I can see how it does the same thing to others...and has done so since before the Catholic Church decided it was the authority on all things spiritual.

So, if the Holy Spirit speaks, shouts, whispers, pushes, moves, and changes you, and others that you have seen the same thing, why do so many others say the exact same thing, yet interpret scripture with so many differences? Does the Holy Spirit contradict himself? Are you saying the Holy Spirit speaks to you and the others you mentioned, and not to anyone else? Everyone else are liers :laugh: The Main question is "How do YOU know for certain that the Bible is inspired?" If I thought it was not, prove to me that it is.

I beleive that it would make perfectly good sense that the Holy Spirit works through the Church that Christ established -- which in turn makes the Church a very good source to tell me that the Bible is inspired or not don't you think? Basically, the Holy Spirit speaks, shouts, whispers, pushes, moves and CHANGES me and all other Catholics the same way it does you - as well as being verifiable through the infallible teaching authority of the Church. In no way does the Church do this in absense of the Holy Spirit.

We do differ alot on peripheral issues. So what? So we don't all see the Bible the same way in some areas? Your church father Augustine was fond of saying, "In the essentials, unity; in the nonessentials, liberty; and in all things, charity." Apparently he made room for differences in perspectives and points of view. Why can't you?

Yeah...what Shilo said! :laugh:

The Bible needs nothing other than what itelf says. I believe it. The fact that it changes lives is enough for me to believe it is inspired by Almighty God. It is power!

1 Thessalonians 1:5

For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

The question that I wrestle with is whether the Deuterocanonical books were inspired.

We are charged not to add or subtract from the Writ, yet some people got together and decided to do just that-

These books were part of the Bible during the early church. And read in the synagogues during Christ's time. Correct me if I am wrong.

peace

CSLewis

The Bible needs nothing other than what itelf says. I believe it. The fact that it changes lives is enough for me to believe it is inspired by Almighty God. It is power!

1 Thessalonians 1:5

For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.

The Koran claims to be inspired, as does the Book of Morman, as do the holy books of various Eastern religions. Even the writings of Mary Baker Eddy, founder of Christian Science, claim inspiration. The mere claim of inspiration, no matter how many times, is insufficient to establish a book's bona fides.

...The fact that it changes lives is enough for me to believe it is inspired by Almighty God. It is power!

So if a book "changes my life" that means it is inspired?? I read a book the other day about how bad smoking is, causing cancer, etc.. It literally changed my life! That's power man! Yet, is it inspired?

...The fact that it changes lives is enough for me to believe it is inspired by Almighty God. It is power!

So if a book "changes my life" that means it is inspired?? I read a book the other day about how bad smoking is, causing cancer, etc.. It literally changed my life! That's power man! Yet, is it inspired?

Do you not know the power of God? When you know Him, you know His power. It is unmistakable. The Word of God is power to resurrect, to heal, to turn your world upside down.