• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

There is no need to be re-baptized if one has repented from a backslidden state. the term "backslidden" only represents that one has fallen away, and lost the joy of their salvation, become stiffnecked and disobedient. As long as repentance has taken place, then restoration has been made.

I have known many who have been re-baptized to recommit and restate before men to Whom it is they belong. It's a statement one makes. But there is no scripture that states we must do this. It is between a person and God. I believe God is blessed by it, and I also believe He is just as blessed when one is restored to Him in repentance without being re-baptized.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

How many times were the children if Israel baptized?

Think before you answer...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Sorry, I don't understand.... :)

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Start with 1 Corinthians 10:2

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Start with 1 Corinthians 10:2

I wondered if it was the writing

1 Corinthians 10: 1-5...

Remember our history, friends, and be warned. All our ancestors were led by the providential Cloud and taken miraculously through the Sea. They went through the waters, in a baptism like ours, as Moses led them from enslaving death to salvation life. They all ate and drank identical food and drink, meals provided daily by God. They drank from the Rock, God's fountain for them that stayed with them wherever they were. And the Rock was Christ. But just experiencing God's wonder and grace didn't seem to mean much

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  05/25/1964

I know there's been threads on this topic before of baptism methods and that isnt the purpose of this thread, but more another angle on this topic.

At the church I now attend, I can not become a member unless I am re-baptized. This is because I was baptized as an adult, but with the method of pouring in my old Mennonite church. That was 11 yrs ago, and I took the baptism very seriously and committed my life to Christ and have not waivered from that faith. I have felt the Holy Spirit move powerfully in my life over the past years. To me, the fact that the current church I attend wants to "invalidate" that first baptism is not acceptable to me, and that's how i'd feel to have to go through the re-baptism to satisfy their rules.

They feel that the pouring was not sufficient, even though the words spoken were the same as an immersion, and my heart and dedication were the same. Our Mennonite church just did not have an immersion tank, and it was Feb. so too cold for the lakes.

I know there's been threads on this topic before of baptism methods and that isnt the purpose of this thread, but more another angle on this topic.

At the church I now attend, I can not become a member unless I am re-baptized. This is because I was baptized as an adult, but with the method of pouring in my old Mennonite church. That was 11 yrs ago, and I took the baptism very seriously and committed my life to Christ and have not waivered from that faith. I have felt the Holy Spirit move powerfully in my life over the past years. To me, the fact that the current church I attend wants to "invalidate" that first baptism is not acceptable to me, and that's how i'd feel to have to go through the re-baptism to satisfy their rules.

They feel that the pouring was not sufficient, even though the words spoken were the same as an immersion, and my heart and dedication were the same. Our Mennonite church just did not have an immersion tank, and it was Feb. so too cold for the lakes.

I can imagine your feelings here, but if you think about it, wouldn't you want to be baptized the way the disciples did it? It is never described as anything but immersion anywhere in scripture. Wouldn't you want to be baptized in the same manner as Jesus was?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

So the Holy Spirit was not really present in that first Baptism? It didn't take? All of those Mennonites in that first congregation have never really been baptized? My advice would be don't do it, God has done His work you are Baptized.

Now, that may be a major problem for your current congregation, I think it may be actually critical. I know that is a tough one and hard, but I think unless you feel comfortable continually rejecting their doctrine yet staying in their congregation you are going to have to be Baptized or leave. Baptism I think is one of those things that are basic to the faith and hard to get around.

Peace to you on whatever you decide, I understand your decision either way.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  05/25/1964

Thank you Smalcald. Your words are my feelings.

Floatingaxe, my current church pastor mentioned what you did. But my thought is, just because the baptisms that the Bible talks about were by immersion, that does not mean all baptisms exclusively were.

(John 21:25

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.)

I've sought this with much prayer and thought, and have not taken it lightly.

Were there always rivers close by? Water was scarce in areas. And if a bedridden man couldnt' get to a river, they just didnt baptize him? If the woman at the well, had said to Jesus 'will you baptize me'? I can envision He may have pulled the bucket up and poured over her.

Anyway, I definitely don't see that the Lord who has led my life for the past 11yrs would make it a crucial matter.

I have attended the current church for several years now. Thankfully I am in childrens ministry and I volunteer and function as a regular attender and have not let it affect me that I'm not a 'member'. :huh: