• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

In King James version this reads -

Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Who's the gate? (door) - That would be Christ.

Who's the gatekeeper? That also would be Christ.

Who's the shepherd that enters by the gate? - That also would be Christ.

The 'gate' or 'door' is Christ. We agree on this.

If Jesus is the gate/door then who's the sheperd that enters by the gate? We already know that Jesus is the Good Shepherd and does not enter the gate/door (himself) by/through himself? I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Where do you reference that Jesus is the gatekeeper also?

John 10:7-11 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

This is speaking of the Church of Christ

Yes! in the sense of sheep. The church of Christ concept wasn't used untell after Christ's resurrection.

...and Christ is the head of his church.

Uh, the Greek word kephale, translated 'head' does not exist in this passage.

Uh, the Greek word kephale, translated 'head' does not exist in this passage.

I did not study Greek. I just know what my scriptures tell me. Christ is in charge of the church and is in full control. I don't know of anybody else in the bible having anything to do with the church other than him.

Yes, you are correct about Christ being Lord (Greek, kurios) but I thnk the Greek is important to better help our undersatanding of the author's intent. Christ though is ONLY the kephale of the church NOT all.

This is speaking of the Church of Christ

Yes! in the sense of sheep.

Jesus said he would build his church on he who proclaims him as the Messiah and the Son of the living God. All believers then are the foundation of Jesus Christ's church! K, this was a new revelation for me but then I tell myself, 'duh' since we are the temple of the living God!

Yet the concept 'God's church' wasn't utilized untell after Christ's resurrection...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

The Father is the 'gatekeeper', as He is also the 'husbandman' or gardener in John 15, where Jesus is the vine.

Jesus said:

Lu 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so has he given to the Son to have life in himself;

John 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.

6:33 For the bread of God is he which comes down from heaven, and gives life unto the world................... 6:37 All that the Father gives me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out.

6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

God bless,

Dennis

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus identified homself as both the Gate and the shepherd. In the culture of the day, the gatekeeper was typically an "undershepherd" who worked for the shepherd.

The Father is the 'gatekeeper', as He is also the 'husbandman' or gardener in John 15, where Jesus is the vine.

Yeah, I thought that God was the gatekeeper, but I cannot find where it says that in John 15?

Jesus identified homself as both the Gate and the shepherd. In the culture of the day, the gatekeeper was typically an "undershepherd" who worked for the shepherd.

Thanks EricH. This is interesting information.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/26/1988

THis one I can answer only because we were just now talking about the book of John in New Testament class. The gate; agatekeeper; and everything else is jesus. He said 9 I am phrases in the book of john. I am the way the truth and the life; i am the gate; i am the living bread; etc.