Ovedya

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

it is FAR more likely that people who are uneducated and ignorant will follow someone with doctrine that is not sound....

I think people get defensive because of comments like this, Kabowd.

It's simply not true.

My father only went as far as 8th grade, but he loved Jesus and knew truth. He also recognized falsehood when it stared him in the face. "I am the Good Shepherd and I know mine and mine know Me"

Plenty of well-to-do educated people get duped by doctrine that tells them things they want to hear. One word......."Scientology".....for example.

Maybe those of us who are educated should show more respect for those of us who are not book smart. And those of us who are filled with the Spirit without the benefit of higher education should try to be a little less defensive of intellect.

:thumbsup:

Most Scientologists haven't passed high school, or college (reference: Celebrities).

If anything, most Christians that become educated generally become Southern Baptist, Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, or Lutheran.

The thing is, we are not saying that those who do not go to college are in trouble of falling into heresy. Instead, those that fail to actually study their faith are more apt to fall into heresy. Someone that says, "I only need the Holy Spirit, and I don't need man's traditions, doctrines, or books." This is the type of person we refer to when we speak of "uneducated falling into heresy."

Maybe "dense" would be a better term, whilst uneducated would merely refer to someone lacking a college education? In this case, there would be nothing wrong with being uneducated, but everything wrong with being dense.

In addition, and this is something I'm going to work on and will not state absolutely, most Christians that are educated that fall into heresy (such as followers of Barth) often do so on irrational grounds. It is almost as though they accept anti-intellectualism in their pursuit of intellect.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

it is FAR more likely that people who are uneducated and ignorant will follow someone with doctrine that is not sound....

I think people get defensive because of comments like this, Kabowd.

It's simply not true.

My father only went as far as 8th grade, but he loved Jesus and knew truth. He also recognized falsehood when it stared him in the face. "I am the Good Shepherd and I know mine and mine know Me"

Plenty of well-to-do educated people get duped by doctrine that tells them things they want to hear. One word......."Scientology".....for example.

Maybe those of us who are educated should show more respect for those of us who are not book smart. And those of us who are filled with the Spirit without the benefit of higher education should try to be a little less defensive of intellect.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not talking about a low IQ (or that type of ignorance). I'm specifically talking about being ignorant regarding the truth...not studying Scripture, pursuing deeper understanding, in depth study, understanding the TRUTH on a deeper level (not just a cursory glance or memorization). See the difference? Scripturally, we are told to study, to have a ready defense, to KNOW the truth......I'm not talking about a formal education here or disrespecting those who don't have that. As I've stated before, I haven't even finished high school yet myself. I'm talking about knowing God's Word through deeper study (biblical hermeneutics and proper interpretation for example). Maybe instead of saying "uneducated", would "intellectually lazy" be a better description? :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Gang,

We are getting tons of reports on bad behavior regarding this topic. I am closing it for now