Riley322

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks, you guys, for all the input. As I expected, there are varying perspectives on the issue. I think what it boils down to is some believe and some don't. However, you can't receive from God anything without faith, whether it be spiritual gifts or salvation. Those who don't believe God for salvation never receive it. Those who never believe God for the gifts He's promised will never receive those either.

With my question, I was hoping to illicit more testimony of personal experience than debate. I am curious as to what the experience is like and about what I need to do to receive the gift.

Riley

Edited by Riley322

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Well sometimes i sing in the spirit just worshiping God and praying in tongues and then it moves into singing in the spirit. I cant tell you were it is and i am very tired right now but it is awesome .......

Just put on some worship music and pray and let yourself worship without hinderances its great! I have had some listenw hen i am doing this and they always say it is most beautiful.

Amen, that is how it is! :thumbsup:

1 Corinthians 14

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Again Paul spoke in tongues and it was as a sign to unbelievers

Amen!

I encourage those who doubt to look at 1 Cor. 13:8-10. This is the only reference I've come across that spells out explicitly for us when the gifts will cease. "...But whether there are prophesies, they will fail,; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is imperfect will be done away."

God uses the gifts He's planted within us to reveal Himself to others or to those that know Him, make Himself more intimately known. Until Christ's return we only know and experience Him in part. However, upon His return (the day of perfection, if you will) the gifts will then cease because there will no longer be a need for them.

Riley

Edited by Riley322

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Riley,

You never answered my question.

Why do you want to speak in tongues?

Why not ask for the gift of healing, or miracles, or teaching?

Riley,

Why ask "Why"? It is a gift available to us from God so why not desire and seek after it? I want ALL of God that is available to me. Besides, why do you assume I don't seek after healing, miracles or teaching? If it is of God, I want it!

Riley,

Why ask "Why"? It is a gift available to us from God so why not desire and seek after it? I want ALL of God that is available to me. Besides, why do you assume I don't seek after healing, miracles or teaching? If it is of God, I want it!

Some things are great to seek after, and I am Pentecostal so I believe in all the gifts, including tongues, but I think people get way too wrapped up in the whole tongues thing. Why do you seek that particular gift? We are not all going to have the same gifts. I figure if God grants me the gift of tongues some day, great, and if not, I'm not going to feel slighted, as He has gifted me in other areas that I can use at almost all times. I ask Him to help me use the gifts I already have to the best of my ability. That's enough for me to try and handle, because I don't do such a good job at that. :blink:

I don't feel "slighted" in the slightest. However, Paul even instructed us to seek after the gifts. I forget exactly where it's found but it's in there I assure you. Also, consider Solomon. He did not have the gift of wisdom prior to his asking for it. When he did, he was not reprimanded. In fact, God saw his heart and knew that Solomon desired to do good with the gift he sought after (Don't write back and question my motives either. That is a job for God Himself, for only He knows the heart of any given individual). The gift of tongues allows us to commune with the Spirit in a way we wouldn't have before. I don't pretend to have a thorough understanding of tongues. However, I do know that a universal indication that someone has been baptized in the Holy Spirit is the evidence of speaking in tongues. Being baptized in the Holy Spirit (or being anointed by the Holy Spirit) further equips us with power for His service. Yes, I am aware that not everyone agrees with me on this and I'm not going to print scripture for scripture here to justify my belief. I'm well aware that not everyone has the same gifts as his neighbor. I also know that much more is available to us if we would simply ask in faith, believing.

Riley,

Some things are great to seek after, and I am Pentecostal so I believe in all the gifts, including tongues, but I think people get way too wrapped up in the whole tongues thing. Why do you seek that particular gift? We are not all going to have the same gifts. I figure if God grants me the gift of tongues some day, great, and if not, I'm not going to feel slighted, as He has gifted me in other areas that I can use at almost all times. I ask Him to help me use the gifts I already have to the best of my ability. That's enough for me to try and handle, because I don't do such a good job at that. :blink:

I don't feel "slighted" in the slightest. However, Paul even instructed us to seek after the gifts. I forget exactly where it's found but it's in there I assure you. Also, consider Solomon. He did not have the gift of wisdom prior to his asking for it. When he did, he was not reprimanded. In fact, God saw his heart and knew that Solomon desired to do good with the gift he sought after (Don't write back and question my motives either. That is a job for God Himself, for only He knows the heart of any given individual). The gift of tongues allows us to commune with the Spirit in a way we wouldn't have before. I don't pretend to have a thorough understanding of tongues. However, I do know that a universal indication that someone has been baptized in the Holy Spirit is the evidence of speaking in tongues. Being baptized in the Holy Spirit (or being anointed by the Holy Spirit) further equips us with power for His service. Yes, I am aware that not everyone agrees with me on this and I'm not going to print scripture for scripture here to justify my belief. I'm well aware that not everyone has the same gifts as his neighbor. I also know that much more is available to us if we would simply ask in faith, believing.

Amen! :blink:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Every one should listen to the wisdom of Giaour and Arthur Durnan on this topic.

That's my opinion. And Paul's.

Every one should listen to the wisdom of Giaour and Arthur Durnan on this topic.

That's my opinion. And Paul's.

No it's not! IMHO and Paul's.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Seek the Gift Giver, not gifts He brings.