• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/09/1982

Hi All!

I have a challange at work. I already know what I'm going to do, but I just want to measure my intentions here.

Currently I have a part-time employment at a Trauma Unit.

When I started working here I told those responsible for the shift roster that on Tuesdays I'm at the Academy at church till 9pm and on Thursdays I have band practice at church, also till 9pm. Those evenings are non-negotiable for me.

Currently I only work nightshift at the Trauma Unit and our shift hours are from 7pm till 7am.

I told them that should they have a problem in finding people to work on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, they can book me for those evenings, but I will only commence shift after 9pm yet before 10pm because of my non-negotiables.

For about 2months things went okay and they regularly booked me for Tuesday and Thursday evenings taking into account my non-negotiables. Last night the boss had a fit because of this. I reminded her about my arrangement, to which she asked that I should not accept another shift on either Tuesdays or Thurday evenings.

Now I'm booked for tomorrow night (on which I have band practice till 9pm). I've cancelled my shift yesterday, yet told them that if they don't find anyone to work I'll be more than glad to come to work, but after 9pm.

Tonight I've received a message that there is no one to work. They can't find anyone. If there is no one to fill this shift the unit will be in total chaos!

They are not willing for me to come in after 9pm and request that I cancel band practice.

Now I have 2 options.

I stick to my word, cancel my shift and still go to band practice (which is a non-negotiable), leaving them with the frustration of finding someone to fill my shift.

(There is no one!!! They don't want to employ extra permanent staff and don't want any other part-time employee to work alone except me)

Maybe then they'll wake up, see the problem (challenge) and do something about it!

or

I cancel bandpractice and come to work at 7pm as it should be, and let the challenge persist.

Any advice? What do you feel I should do? What does Holy Spirit tell you? Is there any alternatives?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

if you give in this one time. it is over. you will have shown your word as a lie, what was not negotiable, is. if you are standing your ground due to service you have promised to the Lord. i feel your promise is to the Lord and you told them from the beginning. is your time negotiable or is it not??

good luck on your decision and i pray the Lord will lead and protect you in your decision and your service to him. :emot-puke:

• Group:  Junior Member

if you give in this one time. it is over. you will have shown your word as a lie, what was not negotiable, is. if you are standing your ground due to service you have promised to the Lord. i feel your promise is to the Lord and you told them from the beginning. is your time negotiable or is it not??

good luck on your decision and i pray the Lord will lead and protect you in your decision and your service to him. :thumbsup:

Thanx D! Never thought about it that way.

But my first (and final) decision is to stick with what I said. Just needed to test my attitude and intensions. You're right. "Simply let your Yes be Yes, and your No be No" the Bible says. And if I give in the problem is going to persist. Rather some discomfort now than a major headache later.

God Bless!! :emot-puke:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

good luck on your decision and i pray the Lord will lead and protect you in your decision and your service to him. :emot-puke:

I agree with dakota, for what its worth!

:thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  91

It might be the case, that when they hired you, they couldn't find anybody else suitable for the position, and so, they compromised with your 'non-negotiables,' -- for a while.

Is it possible that they might look for somebody, and when they find, they might let you go? After all, their first priority is that the work would be done.

What if they give you an ultimatum? Are you willing to give up your job if it comes to that? They probably want somebody who is there when needed.

It might be the case, that when they hired you, they couldn't find anybody else suitable for the position, and so, they compromised with your 'non-negotiables,' -- for a while.

Is it possible that they might look for somebody, and when they find, they might let you go? After all, their first priority is that the work would be done.

What if they give you an ultimatum? Are you willing to give up your job if it comes to that? They probably want somebody who is there when needed.

I started working for them in 2003 full-time. Then in 2005 went to another company until end 2006, during which I still worked part time for them.

Since the beginning of this year I've started working on a more regular basis for them, but mostly dayshift. It's only the last few months I'm working nightshift.

At this stage the trauma unit is my only job, though it is only part-time.

And yes, I am willing to give up my job if it comes to that. I know who is my Source. I have a commitment honouring God with the musical talent He gave me, and as far as possible I will attend every band practice session.

And if they really wanted somebody who is there when needed, they would've employed someone long time ago. I was gone for 2 years and they still hasn't fill my position. I don't know if they can't find any one, or if they just don't want to.

O, getting back to the point "I know who is my Source" : I need to give God praise here. Since December 2006 I haven't had permanent employment but God took care of me every month. He gave unto me more than I earned in my last permanent position. I've been living off His grace for 6 months now! I know He takes care of those who love Him.

I know the plans He has for me and I know He'll give me a permanent employment soon.

Just to let you all know, I've stood my ground and everything worked out just fine. They sent someone home on Thursday morning to work Thursday evening, and phoned me to know if I can work Friday dayshift.

PRAISE BE TO GOD!!!! :24:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

:24: