Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

What I fail to understand is how so few people seem able to equate pernicious laws such as the ban of smoking in private premises (albeit open to the public) with the thin end of the wedge. Don't you see that the moment that you allow Goverment to dictate what is done in a PRIVATELY OWNED restaurant or pub or club, then you have admitted the government into your own home, which is just as equally open to the public, if only by private invitation. And how does that differ from private membership? Or the simple choice of a pub landlord, which is enshrined in British Law, to tell any person to leave the premises at his wish, on the basis that he is only there by invitation of the Publican?

Ruth

Guest Biblicist

Smoking has been banned in public places, how many dogs and cats to you know are allowed in public places? :thumbsup:

I am fairly certain that if I tried to take my dog into McDonalds they'd have a problem with it. :huh:

Well lets do this, if smoking helps a person navigate across the street, or helps them when they are in the store...I say let them smoke.

I would love to bring a pet into a resturant and see how many people would have a problem. Hmm...I wonder if I know anyone who has a hamster. :24:

To be fair, ruck, for some people, smoking does help them get through their day. . .Of course, those people have deeper seeded problems than just inhailing nicotine. :P

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Yes Bib.............I have deep seated problems and should probably be locked away!

oops forgot this :24:

Edited by Scarletprayers

Guest Biblicist
What I fail to understand is how so few people seem able to equate pernicious laws such as the ban of smoking in private premises (albeit open to the public) with the thin end of the wedge. Don't you see that the moment that you allow Goverment to dictate what is done in a PRIVATELY OWNED restaurant or pub or club, then you have admitted the government into your own home, which is just as equally open to the public, if only by private invitation. And how does that differ from private membership? Or the simple choice of a pub landlord, which is enshrined in British Law, to tell any person to leave the premises at his wish, on the basis that he is only there by invitation of the Publican?

Ruth

Ruth, Honey,

My home is in no way open to the public, gee wish the neighbor kids understood that. Just because my door is open does not mean anyone can walk in here unanounced and uninvited.

I think it's going a little far to ban public smoking outside. Sounds like my mother was behind that idea.

Guest Biblicist

My sister took in a foreign exchange student for a year, several years ago. He smoked. Was it her perogative to tell him to not smoke in her house, or was it wrong in the interest in Foreign Relations?

Lets look at it the other way. Say I own a restaurant. I don't want people to smoke on premisis, not outside or in. However, since it is NOT against the law for someone to smoke in public it is wrong for me to ban smoking, and in fact can be considered discrimination to do so. Now that it is against the law for someone to smoke in any public place, whether privately owned or not, I can freely tell people I don't want them smoking in my restaurant without fear of discrimination lawsuits. Happened to Miracle-Gro.

Guest Biblicist
Yes Bib.............I have deep seated problems and should probably be locked away!

oops forgot this :P

:huh::thumbsup:

:24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Smoking has been banned in public places, how many dogs and cats to you know are allowed in public places? :thumbsup:

I am fairly certain that if I tried to take my dog into McDonalds they'd have a problem with it. :P

Well lets do this, if smoking helps a person navigate across the street, or helps them when they are in the store...I say let them smoke.

I would love to bring a pet into a resturant and see how many people would have a problem. Hmm...I wonder if I know anyone who has a hamster. :24:

To be fair, ruck, for some people, smoking does help them get through their day. . .Of course, those people have deeper seeded problems than just inhailing nicotine. ;)

oops forgot this :P

:P:P

:huh:

From that Bib! :P

Guest Biblicist

I just remembered, my husband told me that Cleveland Clinic has advertised Smokers need not apply. They have decided to NOT hire anyone who smokes.

Several companies are doing it. Some are even going so far as to fire those who do. "Light up, get fired."

Apparently, they decided that paying for health insurance for people who smoke is not the wise choice.

SP, I certainly meant no offense for my last remark, I am sorry. :24:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Today it's smoking bans and mandatory seatbelt laws. Tomorrow it will be some other restriction to our personal freedoms.

The whole "second-hand smoke is worse than first-hand smoke" nonsense is is a huge sham anyway.