• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

In doing a study on the word angel, I noticed something peculiar:

In some passages, such as Gen. 16, 22, 31, etc., the phrase Angel of the Lord is used, and the word Angel is capitalized.

In other passages, such as Gen. 19, 21, 24, 28, the word angel or angels uses a lower case "a."

So, then, my question is this....does the capitalizing of the word angel indicate that it was one specific angel who acted in chapters 16, 22, and 31?

Is there one specific angel that is referred to when the word is capitalized, or is this just coincidence?

If so, who was the angel?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

In some passages, such as Gen. 16, 22, 31, etc., the phrase Angel of the Lord is used, and the word Angel is capitalized.

In other passages, such as Gen. 19, 21, 24, 28, the word angel or angels uses a lower case "a."

So, then, my question is this....does the capitalizing of the word angel indicate that it was one specific angel who acted in chapters 16, 22, and 31?

Is there one specific angel that is referred to when the word is capitalized, or is this just coincidence?

When capitalized it is referring to the Christophany, or physical appearance of God in the OT. i.e. Angel of the Lord. When not it is a common angel. In the NT the word angelos, translated angel is messenger. Where messenger is used it is the same word.

LT

When capitalized it is referring to the Christophany, or physical appearance of God in the OT. i.e. Angel of the Lord. When not it is a common angel. In the NT the word angelos, translated angel is messenger. Where messenger is used it is the same word.

LT

So, then, this is actually God appearing?

Would this be the Holy Spirit?

I'm asking, because I know that when the Father appeared to Moses, His glory was so great that Moses could only look upon the back of Him.

With this in mind, this Angel could not have been in the same physical form as the God who revealed Himself to Moses.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

LT

I'm asking, because I know that when the Father appeared to Moses, His glory was so great that Moses could only look upon the back of Him.

With this in mind, this Angel could not have been in the same physical form as the God who revealed Himself to Moses.

To answer your question, Who is the messanger of the Father to man? Who is the mediator? Who reveals the Father which no man has seen at any time.

The preincarnate Son of God.

LT

LT

To answer your question, Who is the messanger of the Father to man? Who is the mediator? Who reveals the Father which no man has seen at any time.

The preincarnate Son of God.

LT

Thank you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/29/1974

great thread!! Thanks for sharing.