IGNORED

Anyone Used the "Rosetta Stone" Program?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

I can't minor in Religious Studeis Education and a second-language at the same time. Woe is me. :o

why not?

Because they only allow one minor (since I already have two majors in my program... well sort of, I get two degrees, one in math and one in education), and I want to be qualified to teach Religion classes.

a second language does not qualify for the degree in education???? when we are in a multi cultural world, where those that are bilingual or trilingual are needed more and more......

Teresa is taking ESOL ( teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages) this falls into the degree scope for elementry education.... maybe not in all states, but some.... you might check to see if you can take a second language to be included with in the scope of your majors.....

mike

I have used Rosetta Stone. I found that if you're really motivated then it is useful and does work, but if you're not motivated, it's just annoying :noidea: It is expensive though... And there's one section that I couldn't stand, where you're suppose to repeat the words in the language and it tells you if you did it correctly. I could never get it right :thumbsup:

Thank you, and welcome to Worthy. :)

I was wondering about that part of the program. Speech recognition is not an easy thing to deal with in software, and neither is getting the computer to "speak" a text file. The motivation part won't be a problem -- the money however, is an issue!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

a second language does not qualify for the degree in education???? when we are in a multi cultural world, where those that are bilingual or trilingual are needed more and more......

Teresa is taking ESOL ( teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages) this falls into the degree scope for elementry education.... maybe not in all states, but some.... you might check to see if you can take a second language to be included with in the scope of your majors.....

mike

I'm still not entirely sure how the program works. I might still be able to pick up a second language using my elective courses, the minor might be referring to learning enough about the language to teach it. I'm sure I'll be able to take a class or two on a different language to get a basic knowledge of it. (and I'm not sure of this, but a Religious Studies minor MIGHT let me learn the basics of hebrew or greek).

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

mike

I'm still not entirely sure how the program works. I might still be able to pick up a second language using my elective courses, the minor might be referring to learning enough about the language to teach it. I'm sure I'll be able to take a class or two on a different language to get a basic knowledge of it. (and I'm not sure of this, but a Religious Studies minor MIGHT let me learn the basics of hebrew or greek).

I'll tell you right now that learning a second language in university is very, VERY difficult. Especially if you're looking at taking on a language that isn't commonly spoken in your area. If you have absolutely no knowledge of a second language I would not suggest you take the course in university because you're gonna end up with a bad grade. I've seen countless people fail classes like this simply because it was too fast paced for someone who has no prior knowledge of the language. If however, you have taken classes before and want to learn how to speak a language fluently then it might work, but even then you need to be very driven and expect to do upwards of at least 3 hours of homework a night.

I took an introductory class in italian in my first year and managed to get a B, but that was honestly the hardest B I even pulled off. And it required countless hours of memorization that in my opinion would have been more usefull in a different area. Especially since I rarely if ever use my knowledge of the italian language for anything.

I'll tell you right now that learning a second language in university is very, VERY difficult. Especially if you're looking at taking on a language that isn't commonly spoken in your area. If you have absolutely no knowledge of a second language I would not suggest you take the course in university because you're gonna end up with a bad grade. I've seen countless people fail classes like this simply because it was too fast paced for someone who has no prior knowledge of the language. If however, you have taken classes before and want to learn how to speak a language fluently then it might work, but even then you need to be very driven and expect to do upwards of at least 3 hours of homework a night.

I took an introductory class in italian in my first year and managed to get a B, but that was honestly the hardest B I even pulled off. And it required countless hours of memorization that in my opinion would have been more usefull in a different area. Especially since I rarely if ever use my knowledge of the italian language for anything.

Thank you so much Sierra! This is exactly the kind of thing I want to know BEFORE I start university. (I have to send in my application by December to qualify for early entrance awards, and after that I can change my mind, but it's trickier). I think there will be plenty of things I'm interested in taking in university besides a second language (I'm hoping for plenty of psychology/philosophy electives, even though I'll be a mathematics major). That and I'll have plenty of time to learn a second language (my local college offers public summer courses in foreign languages, and seeing as I plan to be a teacher, I'll have time to burn during the summer).

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

I've seen it advertised and am kind of tempted but I'm pretty hopeless at learning new languages and don't want to waste money - I would love to learn a second language but I'm very busy at the moment with work and a course, so it would have to wait anyway. I'm interested in what other people think of it though, I may look into it more in the future!

Thank you so much Sierra! This is exactly the kind of thing I want to know BEFORE I start university. (I have to send in my application by December to qualify for early entrance awards, and after that I can change my mind, but it's trickier). I think there will be plenty of things I'm interested in taking in university besides a second language (I'm hoping for plenty of psychology/philosophy electives, even though I'll be a mathematics major). That and I'll have plenty of time to learn a second language (my local college offers public summer courses in foreign languages, and seeing as I plan to be a teacher, I'll have time to burn during the summer).

Well since I have my masters in Psych, feel free to pick my brain about any courses you're considering! I've always encouraged other students to take advantage of psych courses, they're so interesting and you learn so much about the human brain and personality! Some people think that psychology as a science can conflict with christianity, but I think those people are simply reading into it too much.

Of course science is always going to debate with christianity, but if you take the information for what it's worth, and use it as a way to learn how to understand those around you, you will benefit greatly. And you may even find that your faith strengthens the more you understand human nature and our inert need to understand where we came from, and why we're here.

lol but of course I'm partial. In my university career I've taken so many different courses though, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I will answer them as best I can! Good luck (lol if you can't tell I'm insanely jealous of you, beginning your university career is such a blessing and was such an amazing time for me. Its so awesome to think of the oppurtunities you have and how you'll shape your life...consider yourself blessed Keilan. This is not an oppurtunity everyone has..be thankful! :whistling: )

Well I have a bit of an interest in psych, so no need to convince me there. I actually did a summer internship with a program called the "envirorangers" and learned a bit about child psychology. I decided psych really wasn't for me though, it's far too liberal and I believe that unless you can encourage patients to look to God, you really won't solve any of their problems.

Although there is something I've been wondering about, mostly how the electives work. How restricted are you in what kind of thing you have to take? Like as a math education master, will I be forced to take electives in things like history or biology, or will they let me take electives like philosophy and psych? I'm hoping to history behidn when I leave high school. :taped:

Well I have a bit of an interest in psych, so no need to convince me there. I actually did a summer internship with a program called the "envirorangers" and learned a bit about child psychology. I decided psych really wasn't for me though, it's far too liberal and I believe that unless you can encourage patients to look to God, you really won't solve any of their problems.

Although there is something I've been wondering about, mostly how the electives work. How restricted are you in what kind of thing you have to take? Like as a math education master, will I be forced to take electives in things like history or biology, or will they let me take electives like philosophy and psych? I'm hoping to history behidn when I leave high school. :rolleyes:

I think it depends on what university you go to. BUT, in general the point of university is "universal learning" which means you are required to learn from a variety of different subject areas in order to obtain your degree.

For example, in my undergrad degree I had to complete 6 credit hours from at least 5 different subject areas, including my major and minor. SO, I had to take 6 credit hours of Math, 6 credit hours of Science, 6 credit hours of humanities, 6 credit hours of social sciences, and 6 credit hours of english. That on top of whatever is required by your major and minor will earn you a degree. It sounds easy, but can actually be difficult depending on what you're good at. But you'll also learn that many of the courses you'll be required to take for your major/minor will include some of these subject areas. For example in order to get an undergrad psych degree you have to take a stats course which satisfies your math requirement. So you don't need to take some difficult calculus course or anything like that.

Anyways, it depends on your university and their requirements, but its a very good idea to get these things straight in your head before you start choosing courses. I would say the best advice is to try and satisfy some of these requirements in your first year, but pay attention to the courses you'll be taking in your second year because many of them will fill your required subject areas.

lol I hope that isn't too confusing...but then you'll find you're confused a lot as a university student so.... :24: