Everlasting127

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Has anyone every thought about what the bible means by sleeping? I'm sure it doesn't mean the physical act of sleeping. But it's more of a definition, that describes the content and fullness of one's soul. I think just as we examine that fact in another light, we can also come to some conclusions about what God wants for us. And to what end we meet him with grace. That's all part of having a personal relationship with God. Hoping that our prayers and supplications, are held acceptable and worthy, to withstand God's test of our faith.

Psa 76:6 At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob, both the chariot and horse are cast into a dead sleep.

Dan 8:18 Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.

Psa 78:65 Then the Lord awaked as one out of sleep, [and] like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine.

1Cr 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

~~ It does depend on how you recieve the word. The scriptures tell a story to me. Our being lost, and then found.

Psa 127:2

[it is] vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: [for] so he giveth his beloved sleep.

:emot-puke-old:

Everlasting,

Moon over Key Biscayne

Edited by Everlasting127

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

The word "sleep" in the above passages are translated from the Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament) from several different words:

Psalm 76:6 and Daniel 8:18 both are from the Hebrew word "radam" which is a verb meaning to be asleep; be unconscience; be in a heavy sleep; fall into a heavy sleep; be fast asleep.

Psalm 78:65 is from the Hebrew word "yashan" which is an adjective meaning sleep or asleep.

Psalm 127:2 is from the Hebrew word "shehah" which is a feminine noun meaning sleep.

1 Corinthians 15:51 is from the Greek verb "koimao" which means 1) to cause to sleep. 2) Metaph. a) to still, calm, quiet b) to fall asleep, to sleep. c) to die. In context this verse is using the definition of 2c.

It's very interesting to learn what the words mean in the original languages. It gives a much deeper meaning to Scripture and helps to avoid getting a wrong meaning from what is actuall being said.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Guest StElsewhere
Has anyone every thought about what the bible means by sleeping? I'm sure it doesn't mean the physical act of sleeping. But it's more of a definition, that describes the content and fullness of one's soul. I think just as we examine that fact in another light, we can also come to some conclusions about what God wants for us. And to what end we meet him with grace. That's all part of having a personal relationship with God. Hoping that our prayers and supplications, are held acceptable and worthy, to withstand God's test of our faith.

Psa 76:6 At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob, both the chariot and horse are cast into a dead sleep.

Dan 8:18 Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.

Psa 78:65 Then the Lord awaked as one out of sleep, [and] like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine.

1Cr 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

~~ It does depend on how you recieve the word. The scriptures tell a story to me. Our being lost, and then found.

Psa 127:2

[it is] vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: [for] so he giveth his beloved sleep.

:noidea:

Everlasting,

Moon over Key Biscayne

I read this post...twice...and I still don't see either a point or a question...so what is your point? :noidea: