Taxes and marriage

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

:taped::P I would like to know when you marry one do you take on their tax burden? Someone planning to marry has a fiance who owes $11,000 in taxes. Does the spouse take on the taxes too? Or in other words, the federal revenue come after the new spouse? I heard in church that she/he does? :laugh:

file "married filing separately". i think that will prevent you from being stuck with their burden.

that sounds like a "solver" but going INTO A MARRIAGE....WOULD YOU not MARRY person due to this issue??????

i guess i'd have to know why he was 11,000 behind on his taxes to decide whether or not that was reason not to marry him..... and if he intended to pay it at some point, and if his delinquency occurred prior to submitting to Jesus... on the surface, i don't think i would let what he owes the irs be a determining factor.

No problem aswering that......his first roommate didn't do their part in paying the upkeep so he was left footing the majority of the bills.....the next roommate is not pulling his load....so instead of kicking his BROTHER out of the home he is continuing to keep his head above water by paying the mortage, child support and the utilites. He drives over the road as a trucker and therefore his brother being there does help with no one breaking in. (He has quite a collection of movies that he uses to relax after looking our for deer each night)

So I would say that it has been a struggle to keep all those things paid and not really have much to give UNCLE SAM, I have suggested calling the IRS and setting up payments. IT would not be much but I think that trying to give something would make him look better in their eyes. Does anyone out there really know how back taxes work? That is the information I would like to share with him.

i'm clueless about tax laws.

so basically, he is self employed as a trucker then, right? an employer would be withholding his taxes and he'd file every year like the rest of us. he could contact the IRS, but for his own protection, i think he might consider at least an intitial consultation with an attorney that specializes in tax law. but the fear of what might happen may be overwhelming to him, and fear tends to make men sweep things under the rug so they can avoid dealing with it. keep encouraging him!

he sounds like a really nice guy, but a bit of a pushover. IMO, i'd be more concerned about how his willingness to be taken advantage of might affect our marriage in the long run if i married him. yes, his back taxes are a serious issue, one that needs to be dealt before the 11,000 turns into a whole lot more, but it doesn't sound to me like he was intentionally just trying to break the law.

you don't say how many years behind he is, just how much.... i know that you can file an ammended return for up to three years if you made an error, or if you failed to report some income one year. so if he's less than three years behind, he may not have any penalties to worry about, and perhaps he could make payment arrangements.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  523
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

:wub:

I'm not so sure that filing separately would work. Let me give you a example...

My mom was separated for a few years before divorcing my father [btw it was a biblically sound divorce]... Anywho he ended up owing back taxes, he just decided not to pay anymore and being irresponsible he let it continue to slip proclaiming that federal taxes were unconstitutional, blah, blah, blah.... While they were separated and filing 'married filing separately' the IRS sent her a notice of garnishment of her wages for his back taxes saying that spouses share responsibility for debts, even while filing separately. Well, she just about fell over at the news and went into panic. We called the IRS about it, she had to prove that they were living separtely and intending to divorce, the IRS ran their own investigation into the matter and then she was cleared from the whole mess.

Now CHECK this out.....he has a lawyer.....the cost of the lawyer is $10,000 which he would have to pay in order to just pay $500 of the back taxes. He is working for a company which takes taxes out of check. He owes six years of back taxes.

wow, kittyjo!

wow, paperflower!

yikes all the way around!

the guy may want to change his w-4 so that it's taking out additional taxes, so that it's covering more of his debt. i bet he could find a cheaper attorney too!

ok i just found this website. have him at least fill in the little form to get an estimate... they'll work with getting his tax debt settled for a lot less than what he actually owes. i don't know what their services would charge, but hopefully less than what he's paying this other one for!

http://freedomtaxrelief.com/

:24::th_frusty::blink::laugh: His RESPONSE is "THAT IS WHAT WE WILL DO." Now once he comes from off the road.....to the pc we will go....singing thanks to you..smile. :th_praying::emot-hug: