• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

Greetings! Sorry it's been a touch, I needed time to gather my thoughts (not to mention, resources!)

I would definitely pick up Eerdman's Handbook to the Bible. It is pretty much invaluable!...I know what you mean in regards to being a kid in a candy store....I'm currently working my way through both Jeremiah and the book of Ruth, and How to... has become a vital guide for when I read Scripture, from now on!...

I think (other than the various other quotes I've already listed) the best bit of the whole book (at least as far as reading/correctly interpreting the OT) goes is as follows, from Third Edition, Chapter 6, pg. 118-119:

"The crucial hermeneutical question here is whether Biblical narratives that describe what happened in the early church also function as norms intended to delineate what must happen in the ongoing church. Our assumption, shared by many others, is this: Unless Scripture explicitly tells us we must do something, what is only narrated or described does not function in a normative (i.e. obligatory) way--unless it can be demonstrated on other grounds that the author intended it to function in this way."

I believe this "solves the problem," as it were, that so many around WB have--put bluntly, taking so much of OT Scripture out of context! Glad to see you're keeping with it! Talk again next time, A.P. :emot-pray:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

I haven't gotten that far yet but I'll look it up and underline it shortly. I'm working on my own outline of 1 Corinthians right now. I've read it in 2 translations to this point. I don't have time to post more at the moment but hope to be able to come back later this evening. :emot-pray:

I haven't gotten that far yet but I'll look it up and underline it shortly. I'm working on my own outline of 1 Corinthians right now. I've read it in 2 translations to this point. I don't have time to post more at the moment but hope to be able to come back later this evening. :emot-pray:

Yeah, that sounds good...let me take some time and read through Corinthians myself, if you want we could work through it together. I know this is off OP, but I also left you a comment at your Myspace page :emot-hug: ...I'm usually on the PC from 2:00 till around 7:00 EST...that's about the only time I have to be on the 'Net, seeing as my wife and I can't afford it at home (yet!)...talk to you soon :emot-hug:

Working through it sounds great. I finally checked myspace earlier today and got your message. :wub: Sorry it's been a few days since my last post but several things have kind of crash landed in my life and I just had to step back for a few days. I plan to get back at it tomorrow. Also, Marnie told me that The Jewish Bible is an excellent resourse. I haven't had the chance to get it or the other book I mentioned before but plan on doing so this evening........hopefully. Looking forward to next interaction.

Working through it sounds great. I finally checked myspace earlier today and got your message. :huh: Sorry it's been a few days since my last post but several things have kind of crash landed in my life and I just had to step back for a few days. I plan to get back at it tomorrow. Also, Marnie told me that The Jewish Bible is an excellent resourse. I haven't had the chance to get it or the other book I mentioned before but plan on doing so this evening........hopefully. Looking forward to next interaction.

Perfectly understandable, trust me...I got a call from my wife while I was here at work yesterday; she had broken down on the side of the road, and needed me to come get her...I definitely can relate to crash landings! Just let me know whenever you would like to get started...I'm reading through both books, along with my commentary, as we speak (type?)... :thumbsup:

I see you at the bottom of the page :huh: Should we start maybe tomorrow and cover a few chapters or wait until I get the other two books? I would like to cover a specific amount of material each day but I'm trying to do another study and do some leukemia research also. Let me know what you can do and we'll go from there. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously I haven't posted here in a while. I'm still working through the into of The Complete Jewish Bible

great stuff!! I also got my Eerdman's yesterday. Kiddos will be home shortly and I still have housework to do :emot-hug:

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I've been having computer issues the last few days and haven't been able to post. Since I've been reading this book and coming to understand the differences in translations, I now have a new notebook, my huge Strong's concordance, two commentaries, a Bible dictionary and probably six translations spread out all over my dining room table :thumbsup: It's a good thing atm that I don't cook often :cool: I know we're not really talking about translations in this thread but I would like to note that one of the translations that I hadn't really read at all but have a copy of is the Scoffield. Does anyone know about this translation? Just want to see if anyone sees the same thing I do.

i do not personally have a copy of the scoffield but i have read about it. a human translation from human viewpoint. i have read the history of the translation and the history of scofield himself and where and how he got his views. not good.

That's what I learned. I have one that someone gave me years ago but it's not a translation that I even read.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Hey gang...I know I'm not always around this particular Board much, but I've just gotten my paws on a book that has helped me tremendously in my reading of the OT!...now, as to some who believe I do not properly cite my outside sources (tsk, tsk), the following comes from Fee and Stuart's amazing book How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth (Zondervan, 3rd Edition; Chapter 10, pg. 182-183):

The Meaning of Prophecy:

"The primary difficulty for most modern readers of the Prophets stems from an inaccurate prior understanding of the word "prophecy." For most people this word means what appears as the first definition in most dictionaries: "foretelling or prediction of what is to come." It often happens, therefore, that many Christians refer to the prophetic books only for predictions about the coming of Jesus and/or certain features of the new-covenant age--as though prediction of events far distant from their own day was the main concern of the prophets. In fact, using the prophets in this way is highly selective. Consider in this connection the following statistics:

Less than 2 percent of OT Prophecy is messianic.

Less than 5 percent specifically describes the new-covenant age.

Less than 1 percent concerns events yet to come in our time.

"The prophets did indeed announce the future. But it was usually the immediate future of Israel, Judah, and other nations surrounding them that they announced rather than our future. One of the keys to understanding the prophets, therefore, is that for us to see their prophecies fulfilled, we must look back on times that for them were still future but for us are past."

I just thought that was an amazing clarifier for me to correctly understand and to interpret OT Prophetic scripture!...I hope it brings just as much help and support to my Worthy brothers and sisters in the Lord! Blessings, A.P. :noidea:

Well, are you going to follow the well promoted and shilled advice and rush out and buy the gender sensitive TNIV dynamic equivalence?

I find it wildy ironic that in a book allegedly on hermeneutics, they radically redefine the word so that it no longer keeps its traditional meaning. The authors split the definition, divorcing their relationship so that they can promote two different lines of thought: exegesis and a new definition of hermeneutics to mean finding the answer to the question "so why should I care".

Then there is the continual shameless plug for the TNIV which makes sense because Gordon Fee was a member of the NIV editorial board.

Another tool from the deconstructionalist's tool kit is the promotion of steering the reader away from the original author's words. In another ironic twist, they recommend reading from a "dynamic equivalence" rather than a more faithful word-for-word translation. Believers know that the Bible was inspired by God, and if people don't find the original inspiration worthy of learning the original languages, then a translation seems in order. But those who can read the originals and compare it to the various english translations find that, the authors are correct in their statements that something is lost in translation. But using that as an argument to use a dynamic equivalence, or a thought-for-thought translation assumes that those prechewing our spiritual food are indeed inspired by God in the same manner as the original authors. Otherwise our knowledge of God is only as deep as those anonymous figures who find fault in God for saying "man" when our modern sages feel that God should have been more gender inclusive.

For instance, Fee, in discussing 1 Co 7:36, criticizes the KJV's literal rendering of the Greek "parthenos" as "virgin". THe NAS says "daughter" which Fee correctly states "may not be right". Fee then recomends the version he was working on by saying that the NIV's "virgin that he is engaged to" is the proper and best. Interesting because "Vincent's NT Word Studies" specifically agrees with the ERV (which says "daughter" like the NAS) "RObertson's Word Pictures" thinks "daughter" also. Just to stir things up a bit, the UBS Committee gives us the option of translating "parthenos" as (A) "unmarried daughter", (B) "spiritual bride", © "dead brother's young widow", and (D) "fianc