IGNORED

The "Good Friday" Hoax

Revel

does it bother anyone that Easter has nothing to do with the resurrection?

I mean, just look at this calendar year....

we have Easter coming a month before Passover. Doesn't anyone wonder how that could happen? How does Yeshua become resurrected a month before His crucifixtion?

The whole thing was arranged centuries ago to separate Yeshua from Israel. Surely reasonable people can agree that was wrong to do in the first place?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

You know guys...I have stayed away from this thread a very long time....So I decided to venture in and see what is going on.

What intrigues me the most is the question th o.p. posts.

How would Jesus answer. I do not think it would be too important to Him. Col 2:16

Therefore let no one act as your Judge in regard to food or drink or in a respect to a festival, new moon or sabbath day. 17) Things that are a mere shadow of what is to come; the substance belongs to Christ.

It is of no value against fleshly indulgence nor imporatant for salvation.

I rather enjoy the hebrew high days and christmas. But i understand that Jesus is in them all.

I venture into the Holy of Holies and that to me is greater than any day!!!!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I mean, just look at this calendar year...

I do understand your point Yod. However we also have some cylindric [calendric] issues that are unresolved. I am not saying that they are unresolvable, for I have spent some time in this area. It is sad that such as this has occurred and that with all that we have at our disposal these days, we can not come to unity in truth upon certain matters.

Guest shiloh357
But it just gets so tiring every Christmas or Easter we get the pagan conspiracy theories coming out. Now if there were NO scriptural support for Friday, yeah I would feel differently, but the fact is that there is good scriptural support for Friday.
No, there isn't any support for Friday. "Friday" was read into the text because of an obvious misreading of the Gospels, which created a wrong assumption that the "Sabbath" that immediately followed Jesus' crucifixion is a regular 7th day of the week Sabbath.

Like I said, you still dance around, ignore, brush under the rug, and hope everyone will forget about Jesus' own words which defy the possibility of a "good Friday" crucifixion ("three days and three nights in the heart of hte earth"). That is what I meant when I said that Christians are just as bad about holding to traditions even if those traditions are wrong, simply because it is tradition.

If wrong traditions, give you peace, have at it. I prefer having peace with the truth.

I prefer having peace with the truth.

Amen~!

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

And Hallelujah!

"Praise ye the LORD. Praise, O ye servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD." Psalms 113:1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

But it just gets so tiring every Christmas or Easter we get the pagan conspiracy theories coming out. Now if there were NO scriptural support for Friday, yeah I would feel differently, but the fact is that there is good scriptural support for Friday.
No, there isn't any support for Friday. "Friday" was read into the text because of an obvious misreading of the Gospels, which created a wrong assumption that the "Sabbath" that immediately followed Jesus' crucifixion is a regular 7th day of the week Sabbath.

Like I said, you still dance around, ignore, brush under the rug, and hope everyone will forget about Jesus' own words which defy the possibility of a "good Friday" crucifixion ("three days and three nights in the heart of hte earth"). That is what I meant when I said that Christians are just as bad about holding to traditions even if those traditions are wrong, simply because it is tradition.

If wrong traditions, give you peace, have at it. I prefer having peace with the truth.

There it is again...you call it wrong. Let me walk you through this step by step:

Matthew 27:62 - The next day after the crucifixion is identified as the day after the day of preparation for the Sabbath (which would be the Sabbath.)

Matthew 28:1 (FIVE VERSES LATER) The first day of the week is identified - the day that Jesus rose from the dead. The day AFTER the Sabbath.

It spells to me...that the chronology is as follows: The day of preparation - Jesus dies. The Sabbath - Jesus is in the tomb. The day after the Sabbath, Jesus rises from the dead.

Am I missing something? As for the making Jesus a liar point of view, that was already covered:

"In the Bible, parts of time units were frequently counted as wholes. Thus a king might be said to have reigned for two years, even if he reigned for only fourteen months. In the same way, a day and a night does not mean a period of twenty-four hours. It can refer to any portion of a day coupled with any portion of a night. The expression "three days and three nights" could be used as simply a slightly hyperbolic way of referring to "three days."

As Protestant Bible scholar R. T. France notes: "Three days and three nights was a Jewish idiom to a period covering only two nights" (Matthew, 213).

Similarly, D. A. Carson, regarded as one of the deans of conservative Protestant Bible exegesis, explains: "In rabbinical thought a day and a night make an onah, and a part of an onah is as the whole. . . . Thus according to Jewish tradition,

Guest shiloh357
There it is again...you call it wrong. Let me walk you through this step by step:

Matthew 27:62 - The next day after the crucifixion is identified as the day after the day of preparation for the Sabbath (which would be the Sabbath.)

Matthew 28:1 (FIVE VERSES LATER) The first day of the week is identified - the day that Jesus rose from the dead. The day AFTER the Sabbath.

It spells to me...that the chronology is as follows: The day of preparation - Jesus dies. The Sabbath - Jesus is in the tomb. The day after the Sabbath, Jesus rises from the dead.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing the fact that Matthew assumed his audience would know the difference between the Sabbath that falls after the day of preparation, and the 7th day of the week Sabbath. He did not feel the need to elaborate.

Matthew 27:62 tells us that that the next day was the 1st day of unleavened bread, which John 19 tells us was a High Sabbath, which did not fall on Saturday.

Matthew 21:1 tells us that Jesus was resurrected after the seventh day of the week. This means that Jesus was in the grave during two separate Sabbaths. Anyone living at that time who was familiar with the calendar would have understood that straightaway.

As for the making Jesus a liar point of view, that was already covered:

"In the Bible, parts of time units were frequently counted as wholes. Thus a king might be said to have reigned for two years, even if he reigned for only fourteen months. In the same way, a day and a night does not mean a period of twenty-four hours. It can refer to any portion of a day coupled with any portion of a night. The expression "three days and three nights" could be used as simply a slightly hyperbolic way of referring to "three days."

As Protestant Bible scholar R. T. France notes: "Three days and three nights was a Jewish idiom to a period covering only two nights" (Matthew, 213).

Similarly, D. A. Carson, regarded as one of the deans of conservative Protestant Bible exegesis, explains: "In rabbinical thought a day and a night make an onah, and a part of an onah is as the whole. . . . Thus according to Jewish tradition,

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing the fact that Matthew assumed his audience would know the difference between the Sabbath that falls after the day of preparation, and the 7th day of the week Sabbath. He did not feel the need to elaborate.

Matthew 27:62 tells us that that the next day was the 1st day of unleavened bread, which John 19 tells us was a High Sabbath, which did not fall on Saturday.

Matthew 21:1 tells us that Jesus was resurrected after the seventh day of the week. This means that Jesus was in the grave during two separate Sabbaths. Anyone living at that time who was familiar with the calendar would have understood that straightaway.

As for the making Jesus a liar point of view, that was already covered:

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

For myself: It is three days and three nights. Wednesday crucifixion, High Shabat, yom shishi, shabat, resurrection.

Guest shiloh357
Job wasn't in the belly of a fish, but that's ok, must be a mistake on your part.
Yeah, I meant Jonah. I have been spending a lot of time in Job. Just a slip.

Matthew 27:62 - "The next day, the one following the day of preparation, the chief priests and the pharisees gathered before Pilate." I could be wrong, but nowhere there does it say anything about Unleavened Bread.
The day of preparation pertains to the removal all leaven from the household. This is still done in Judaism today. The day before 1st day of unleavened bread a final search for all leaven is performed and the leaven is completely discarded and there is a small, quaint ceremony connected to it. If you knew the traditions and customs of the time period, you would know this.

Matthew 21:1 - "When they drew near Jerusalem and came to Bethpage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples" That doesn't say anything about Resurrection or the Seventh Day of the week. Again, you are reading YOUR prejudices into the text.
The correct reference should have been Matt. 28:1 which was what I was attempting to cite. My point was that Matthew 28:1 refers to what happened after the second Sabbath that occurred that week, namely the 7th day of the week, Sabbath. Like I said, there are two Sabbaths, which are being spoken of. Unfortuntely, most Christians don't know the historical/cultural context of the events taking place and this has led a to a great deal of misunderstanding and wrong traditions.

How do you explain early Christians celebrating Friday as a day of fasting in honor of remembering Christ's Crucifixion?
I don't explain it, and I don't have to. "Early" does not make them less fallible. Unlike you, I do not allow traditions or the practices of others to define my theology. What they did, they did. That does not suddenly mean that Jesus was crucified on Friday.

You cannot tell me that I am wrong on this because there is no backup except pure speculation. Luke, Matthew, and John all have a problem with what you're suggesting.

Yes, I can tell you that you are wrong for three reasons.

1. John tells us that the next day after the crucifixion was the 1st day of unleavened bread, and thus a "High Sabbath."

2. Jesus said He would be in the belly of the fish for the same length of time that Jonah was in the belly of the fish (72 hours) It is up to you to explain how in plain communication, you can get three days and three nights out of friday evening to Sunday morning. You can't.

3. If Jesus had to be in the earth for 72 hours, then it follows that the "Sabbath" that followed his crucifixion could not be Saturday, but actually 48 hours earlier. High Sabbaths do not necssarily fall on Saturday. That means that Jesus was in the heart of the earth for two different Sabbaths..