Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

(1Ki 15:5)

One thing for sure, if David had multiple wives and scripture says this about him, God surely could not have seen this passage about 'multiplying wives' as damning as some here might want to believe. :thumbsup:

Great point! As I see it, this was an opportunity for God to share if David had major moral problems. Obviously, God did not include polygny.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caleb is another one who God blessed mightly, but he was a practicing polygamist... as was Gideon - who God called very specifically while practicing polygamy. The fact is that the Law allows it. Either the Law is evil because it allows it, or the Law is good and pure.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Not one credible scholar/commentator that I have been reading on this particular passage out of Deuternomy thus far, has arrived at the conclusion you are espousing.

Have you ever read Maimonides? Perhaps the Mishna or of the Targum?

While I shall concede this thread here, I do not concede my position.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Caleb is another one who God blessed mightly, but he was a practicing polygamist... as was Gideon - who God called very specifically while practicing polygamy. The fact is that the Law allows it. Either the Law is evil because it allows it, or the Law is good and pure.

Well said Adelphos.

And welcome to Worthy.

Guest shiloh357
Not one credible scholar/commentator that I have been reading on this particular passage out of Deuternomy thus far, has arrived at the conclusion you are espousing.

Have you ever read Maimonides? Perhaps the Mishna or of the Targum?

I am referring to your argument about the verb construction. So far, I have not found ONE person that is a credible scholar/commentator that reaches the same conclusion. Like I said, you are relying on only one aspect of biblical interpretation, and I am using the entire interpretative process.

Guest shiloh357
and I am using the entire interpretative process.

Are you?

Or are you only really actually doing so with passages you wish to focus on that SEEM to present what you want to believe?

I haven't presented any passages. The ONLY passages I have "focused" on were the ones others presented.

What is it you think I believe? I have not said that Polygamy was a sin. I have not said once that God condemned polygamy. I have not said that anyone committing polygamy was condemned by God. So what specificially is this belief you think I have?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

ALL of our actions and intentions toward God as Christians today can ONLY be seen through the eyes of Christ as shown in the New Testament. We should always start with what Christ said about marriage or any other facet of our behavior and life.

Well said Adelphos.

And welcome to Worthy.

thank you Richard

ALL of our actions and intentions toward God as Christians today can ONLY be seen through the eyes of Christ as shown in the New Testament. We should always start with what Christ said about marriage or any other facet of our behavior and life.

Remember, the statements of Christ were not said outside of the times He was living. His statements need to be seen within the context of His day. We are wrong to read back into His day our modern day understanding! Moreover, Jesus would not have contradicted the Law:

Matthew 5:18-19 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

It is a mistake to not understand what Jesus said about anything without understanding that He would not contradict the Law - he would be forced to contradict His own statement above.

Blessings!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

One can live and stand firmly on what the Lord Jesus Christ declared in Matthew 19:4-6 - and SINGULAR "wife" in Verse 5 - re Holy Matrimony: one male, one female for a lifetime commitment "till death do us part." What's difficult about listening to & obeying the very Head of the Christian Church? Some kind folk prefer it in shades of gray, though, right?

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com