• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/05/1979

wow bro they are really hammering you eh?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Kansasdad

Could you care about a drug dealer in Somalia?

Define care. As a human being, I naturally feel empathetic to other living creatures, especially other humans. This hypothetical person's situation saddens me and if I was able and knew what to do about it, I'd want to help them, so I guess I care about the person in this way. But it's not the same as the way I care about my friends and family.

I like this conversation, it's making me think deeply about my morals. <_<

Ok lets define this guy a little. He is a drug dealer. He has caused missery and death for thousands of people. In fact he has directly been involved in murder, rape, and torture. He has lots of money, lives in a fancy home, and drives very nice cars. Can you care about him. His life is empty. He is actually very alone and misserable. His life has no real meaning. He is full of hate and rage. If you can answer yes at any level, I would sugest it is not, as you say, based on what makes you happy. There is something else at play here. Something bigger than oneself.

God Bless,

K.D.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Kansasdad

Define care. As a human being, I naturally feel empathetic to other living creatures, especially other humans. This hypothetical person's situation saddens me and if I was able and knew what to do about it, I'd want to help them, so I guess I care about the person in this way. But it's not the same as the way I care about my friends and family.

I like this conversation, it's making me think deeply about my morals. <_<

Ok lets define this guy a little. He is a drug dealer. He has caused missery and death for thousands of people. In fact he has directly been involved in murder, rape, and torture. He has lots of money, lives in a fancy home, and drives very nice cars. Can you care about him. His life is empty. He is actually very alone and misserable. His life has no real meaning. He is full of hate and rage. If you can answer yes at any level, I would sugest it is not, as you say, based on what makes you happy. There is something else at play here. Something bigger than oneself.

God Bless,

K.D.

I don't agree with your assessment. If he can answer yes at any level, it is because of altruism, which physiologically makes people happy. Also we only do things for other people because of the influx of good chemicals in our brain when we do them. We're like pavlov's dog, but with neurochemistry instead of kibble.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Kansasdad

I like this conversation, it's making me think deeply about my morals. :thumbsup:

God Bless,

K.D.

I don't agree with your assessment. If he can answer yes at any level, it is because of altruism, which physiologically makes people happy. Also we only do things for other people because of the influx of good chemicals in our brain when we do them. We're like pavlov's dog, but with neurochemistry instead of kibble.

If it is about altruism then put a bullet in his head and think of the thousands of people you have helped. Think of the future victims of rape that will not have to suffer because of this one action. ...... Nope, something else going on here.

Kansasdad

I like this conversation, it's making me think deeply about my morals. :thumbsup:

God Bless,

K.D.

If it is about altruism then put a bullet in his head and think of the thousands of people you have helped. Think of the future victims of rape that will not have to suffer because of this one action. ...... Nope, something else going on here.

killing for altruism is on par with bombing for peace. And consciously killing another person is sociopathic. ...Try again.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1 Corinthians 15:22

>>>>><<<<<

.... What terrible circumstances must he have been brought up in to drive him to such an unfortunate life?....

If upbringing in terrible circumstances (Life) is the problem what is the answer?

Is it the same answer for all people descended from folk of ill circumstance?

Why?

Why not?

Who judges?

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1 Corinthians 15:22

>>>>><<<<<

.... What terrible circumstances must he have been brought up in to drive him to such an unfortunate life?....

If upbringing in terrible circumstances (Life) is the problem what is the answer?

Is it the same answer for all people descended from folk of ill circumstance?

Why?

Why not?

Who judges?

While I appreciate the overwhelming brevity of your response (it must've been hard), I have to ask is there something in particular that you'd like to ask that won't derail the thread?