• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/25/1970

John 4:20Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 25The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

When Jesus answers the Samaritan woman regarding the place where God should be worshiped He does not reject the old values. He affirms in no ambigous terms - we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews - that the Jerusalem Temple is indeed ordained by God, but...

But He then warns that the old system was about to pass, that those matters and concerned are expired. The hour comes when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in Sprit and Truth. And adds, because the Father seeks such.

As Jesus went to the Samaritan woman, knowing her sins very well; God comes for us, knowing our sins very well. However He looks for us not to keep on sinning, but to worship Him in Spirit and Truth.

Now, what that's Spirit and Truth all about? Earlier in this chapter we have the sign of

the living waters that Jesus brings and that provides eternal life (see John 4:1015). It is also linked to the sign of marriage. The Samaritan woman had not been loyal to her marriage as Israel was not loyal to the Covenant, not loyal to God. The comparation is not mine, it is one the prophets use one and another: the Covenant was broken and smashed down one and again, not by God but by the corruption of the hearts who looked for other lords, other teachings and other laws

God is fed up with rituals, with empty rituals and do not want them any longer. I could go so bold as to afirm that they were established more for the human needs which need something physical to see and touch than for the needs of God. God does not need them. What God wants is Spirit and Truth. A worship that springs from God as the living waters and that to God returns; a relationship of a holy marriage that is linked not to rituals but that through true love that loves what God loves and hates what God abhores.

Edited by Viribus Unitis