• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

LCPGUY,

If you won't listen to Scripture, then maybe you'll listen to mere man. respectfully.

So Who Gives a *#@&! if You Swear? - by James V. O'Connor

Cursing, cussing, swearing -- whatever you prefer to call it -- is generally considered part of our contemporary language. Most people do it, some people don't like it, but no one much thinks about it. The fact is, swearing does much more damage to our relationships, our image and our own peace of mind that we image. Maybe everyone swears, but no one swears everywhere. You might say swearing is harmless, but why do you restrain yourself in certain situations? You are acknowledging that it is not perfectly okay. For example, maybe you don't swear in front of kids. Why not? Is cursing an adult privilige? Actually, swearing is juvenile! Adults should have the vocabulary, maturity and emotional control to avoid using trashy language.

There are two large categories of swearing: casual and causal. Casual swearing is swearing we do to be funny or just for fun, or because we are too lazy to think of more appropriate words when one of those versatile, all-purpose curse words fits the bill. Causal swearing, on the other hand, is caused or provoked by pain or by an emotion, such as anger, annoyance, frustration, or impatience. You could argue that casual swearing doesn't hurt anyone, but the truth is, it hurts you, especially if you swear excessively or inappropriately, like in a public place. Believe it or not, many people are offended by crass language, and even though they might not tell you, they are passing judgment on your lack of maturity and consideration for others. This negative response might be subtle, but it is there. We don't realize it, because no one ever mentions it. Besides, when even good people use bad words, it contributes to our overall decline in civility and manners.

Causal swearing is another issue. "When I get mad, it feels good to swear," is a common remark, and for some peculiar reason, it's true! However, it sounds bad and makes you look bad. People are more likely to respect and admire you if you can deal with problems calmly and professionally, without losing control of you emotions.

The question to ask yourself is, Why am I mad, frustrated, annoyed and impatient so frequently? We all have problems, big and small, but some of us react to the small ones with the same fervor as the big ones. What's the point? Will swearing make the traffic go away, the waitress move faster, the computer work better? When we are irritable and foul mouthed, do the people around us want to continue to be around us? How comfortable are you when a friend, family member or co-worker is continued aggravated? Why would you want to be that way yourself? Cope don't cuss! You will have to solve the problem anyway, so skip the cussing. You only add to your own stress.

Swearing is a habit, and one way to break it is to get in the habit of saying less offensive words -- the same words you say when you are in a situation when you know you CAN'T swear! Or, when you encounter a problem, say "FFFFFix it! I can fix it!" Just deal with the problem, and you will feel better about yourself.

Swearing is not only a habit, but often a sign of a negative tone and attitude. You are reading this because you want to improve yourself, and you know the secret to any form of self-help is a positive attitude. Change your attitude about those small, daily annoyances, and you will be a better person.

You might not succeed in eliminating profanity from your vocabulary, but that's okay. If you can at least reduce the use,you will:

1. Sound more intelligent

2. Communicate more clearly

3. Be more pleasant to be with

4. Have greater control of your emotions

5. Avoid offending others

6. Earn more respect

7. Improve your relationships

8. Avoid conflict and hostility

9. Be a happier person

10. Contribute to a better society

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James O'Connor operates his own public relations firm and is the author of "CUSS CONTROL, The Complete Book on How to Curb Your Cursing," published in April 2000. He has been featured in hundreds of newspaper and magazine articles, has appeared on more than 50 TV shows, and interviewed on more than 400 radio stations. Visit his Website at www.cusscontrol.com, or e-mail him at jvoc@earthlink.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kitkat

Occasionally, I find myself saying a word or two that is a swear word and I know it's not right. This usually happens when I'm arguing with someone or have had a misunderstanding with someone and don't practice enough self-control. When this happens, immediately I ask God to forgive me and I try my best not to let it happen again and I'm finding that as time goes on, the less likely I am to say any type of word that's considered a cuss word.

When I was away from God, I used to make a practice of cussing, but since I've come back to God, I hardly ever say any type of cuss word.

To be honest, I think those that aren't Christians are disappointed in us when we cuss, because they want to see Jesus in us.

Isn't weeding sin out of your life like cussing, etc., after you become a Christian called sanctification?

Kat

To be honest, I think those that aren't Christians are disappointed in us when we cuss, because they want to see Jesus in us.

I totally agree with this. :wub:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Dear Bro John,

If you want to know if the Lord considers what comes ut of our mouth to be important, read the book of Proverbs with a highlighter in your hand. Highlight any words that refer to your mouth, tongue, lips, words, etc. I found over 100 references to these things.

The book of Proverbs is full of wisdom for us all. I used to have my children read a chapter from Proverbs everyday when the were young teens. There are 31 chapters so they correspond with the days of ther month easily.

Bro John, I have seen nothing but kindness and encouragement from you on the board. I think if that part of you were shining through in your everyday life, unbelievers would be more likely to be touched than by seeing someone who was not able to control the tongue.

QUOTE (kitkat @ Jun 13 2004, 05:54 PM)

Amen! IR :il:

Guest Rootabagga

WOW! I can't believe this post brought so many into it. I am delighted to find out that I am not the only one who feels this way about bad language. In the same sense I also see how many say its not a problem, and that saddens me. I may not be a person who can sit here and quote scripture after scripture but I can tell you I know what the scriptures say. We are to be as much like Him as we possibly can. Im our actions, feelings and words. If we are to say that we are to be like Him and in the same breathe say some bad language is ok, then in a sense you are saying that our Lord used bad language. I know this is a little streach in verbage but think about it this way. If I compare everything I do, say and feel to that of the Lord, meaning would He do, say or feel this way, and the answer is yes, then by all means go right ahead. If you can not HONESTLY say YES, then don't do it. The Lord set the standards for us to live by so we need to set the standards for those around us or find more appropreate company. as others have said here on this thred, our actions and words speak more loudly then our message. Think about that.

Kate

Guest LCPGUY

Hey Island, et al...

You all are misunderstanding what I am saying. I do not normally or routinely use foul language. I do not swear in public places or anywhere else it is inappropriate. I certainly do not condone it or encourage anyone to do it. I only sometimes do when I

In my humble opinion, words are words, big deal. Bah Humbug!!!  As long as you don

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Many of the people that have written comments on this subject, have not been in the chat room, or if at all, possibly once. As an administrator in Worthy Chat since its beginning, I make the following comments.

Worthy Chat is very well moderated, normally with at least one or two administrators on at most times, except possibly between 3:00 am - 6:00 am., EST. Bad language is not tolerated by the administrators at all. Many times, there is an "invisible" administrator.

I don't know how many "bad" words, "cuss" words and plain "swear" words in different variations, are already filtered in the chat room.

Now and then, words get through. It is a chat room, and it is a Christian Chat room, but not everyone that enters is a Christian. We need to remember that.

Any problems, that you may see, notify an administrator when one enters. But please, don't say that this chat room is "like all others." It is not. We try very hard to keep it God honoring.

Much prayer goes on in the chat room, and there have been people led to the Lord. Bible Studies and Bible Trivia happen at various times, and we even sing at times.

Thank you!

Guest LCPGUY

Not at all different BPC. I never said I use bad language on a regular basis. I only use it around selective people who use it first. When I get a PM with foul language, I use it back, just to be on the same wavelength so to speak. Me thinks you

Guest LCPGUY
Much prayer goes on in the chat room, and there have been people led to the Lord. Bible Studies and Bible Trivia happen at various times, and we even sing at times.

And that