Sgtazur

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question about listening to music on Youtube / other video sites. Would you guys say it's a sin?

Arguments for:

-I didn't buy the music, but I'm enjoying it

-The government calls it stealing, because I'd be taking another person's copyrighted property

-I may be taking money from people by not buying the disk

Arguments against:

-Sounds can only be listened to, not stolen

-The artist may have already released the video somewhere else online, or may not care that it's there

The question also reaches out to movies / clips of movies / videos / etc. It's all up to speculation, but I just wanted to ask what you guys think of it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I have a question about listening to music on Youtube / other video sites. Would you guys say it's a sin?

Arguments for:

-I didn't buy the music, but I'm enjoying it

-The government calls it stealing, because I'd be taking another person's copyrighted property

-I may be taking money from people by not buying the disk

Arguments against:

-Sounds can only be listened to, not stolen

-The artist may have already released the video somewhere else online, or may not care that it's there

The question also reaches out to movies / clips of movies / videos / etc. It's all up to speculation, but I just wanted to ask what you guys think of it.

By visiting YouTube and watching/listening to the videos posted there you are not breaking any laws. The violations of copyright, if any, have to do with those persons who remove the content from their original form (such as ripping a CD or DVD) and posting that content to YouTube.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I would no worry if you were breaking any laws, "the law shuts up faith". I would keep in mind "whatever is not faith is sin". But God will lead you out of worldly things, to a point that He takes the desire away, instead of "taste not touch not".

• Topic Count:  366
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

It is a fair question and one that I had not considered. Is there a sense that we are depriving the artists of their just due by listening w/out paying? I don't know

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Edited by Songstress

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

To me, it's not stealing.. I dont know why the government calls it stealing. It's on a public channel much like the radio so if I flip on the radio does that mean I'm stealing too?

That remark is so silly to me.

no, it's not stealing, and no, it's not a sin to listen on youtube.

now, there have been some older videos that have been removed by youtube for copyright violation... there are others that are allowed to remain on youtube but the ability to embed them has been prevented by request of the musician. ANY musician or record company can request to youtube that any of their music be removed or un-embeddable, and youtube honours their requests. all videos go through an approval process before being made available.

musicians do not earn their living from the sale of cd's or videos anymore. i was actually watching a show on musicians the other day and one of them said that. touring is their primary source of income because with the electronic age, records aren't selling.... period.

youtube is much like radio.... it advertises their music. it gets it out to the public. it builds the fan base which in turn sells concert tickets.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

I was thinking about the decline in record sales the other day and a thought occurred to me: are we not buying records anymore, or are we just not buying them NEW anymore?

With the advent of eBay and Amazon, people are likely buying used albums for much less than the stores are selling them. I know I think the last CD I bought in a store was Velvet Revolver's second album, which came out several years ago.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

if no one listened, or watched the clips, there would be no reason to place them where they could be viewed or heard.....

if I recorded a song that was given to me, worked out the lyrics, and then worked out the music, and had it for sale for people to buy, and one person buys it and then posts it on a web site, that person is in violation of the copyright laws.....

if there is no one there that would listen to that music, or watch the video, the person would have no reason to post it.

I am not very computer savey, so I would not know how to record the stuff off of the site, but some people I am sure know how....

mike

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I wouldn't consider it stealing because many artists have youtube accounts where they post music and videos. They also post their own music on other sites such as yahoo, aol, and myspace. (just to name a few)

I think it's something overlooked by those in the music industry because it's free publicity. It helps build a larger audience.

However, many, if not most, of those artists who have YouTube accounts and post their videos, are independent. They do not have contracts with record companies. They are out to sell their product, which they produced, and are using YouTube as a marketing venue. There is nothing illegal about their posting their own material, because they own that material.

However, as the copyright law states, it is illegal to take material produced by an artist, remove it from its original content, and display it for public viewing - even personal viewing. Doing so robs the record companies and the artists of profit. See, if you go down to the music store and buy a CD of your favorite artist, the actual artist only gets a very small percentage of the sale - something like 1 or 2 dollars (if that). Then lets say you take that CD home and play it for a buddy. Your buddy tells you, "Hey, could you burn that onto a CD for me?" Well, once you do that, not only are you taking a potential sale away from your local record store, you are taking profits from the distributor, the record company, and eventually from the artist.

Ask yourself: How would you feel if you spend hard time and money to produce something unique, only to found out a couple of months later that someone had gone out and bought that item, then created an exact replica, and then was giving out for free. You'd be pretty upset, I would imagine.

Then there's the other "side" of the coin: Record sales have only generally "slipped" a few percentage points due to CD ripping/P2P networks. There is an argument, which I don't disagree with, that states that such "piracies" actually help to promote the artist. In some cases, when a person "rips" a CD for their friends, those friends may in turn go out an buy the actual CD (for the liner notes, etc.) or the artist's past works.

I don't think it's right to reason that we can disobey the law because "other artists do it." Yes, some do. If that's the case, then we are free to go out and get those free copies. But in all other cases it is illegal. We should always strive to be obedient to the law, to serve as examples to those who have no law, and have little capacity for obedience to the law.