IGNORED

What a lukewarm Christian looks like

Deepblue

You know what.. anyone can use those same scriptures to make it say something they want to. I think this is rather misguided.

Tell us what those verses mean to you.

Please.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Deep, I think that's a good list.

Maybe for #4:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/03/1989

Deep, I think that's a good list.

Maybe for #4:

Guest Butero
You guys should at least explain your points. You're just as good as not replying at all without doing so... :noidea:

Please tell me how the scriptures do not relate to what was posted please. Enlighten us. If you feel a message is misguiding someone, would you simply sit by and do nothing about it???

If Blien and Gauntlet are going to make comments like that, I agree with you that they should give some sort of explaination for them. Here are my thoughts on the passage in question.

Revelation 3:14-18

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

15 I know thy works, that thou are neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white rainment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

In reality, God tells us why he considers the Laodicean church lukewarm in verse 17. The people have stopped trusting in God, and are putting their trust in self. They are forgetting where their provision comes from. They are forgetting that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights..." James 1:17. They think they have arrived spiritually, and have need of nothing from God. In reality, God sees them as wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked.

In verse 18, God advises them on what to do. Here is how I interpret verse 18.

1. Buy gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich. To me this means learn to be a giving person. When we learn to be charitable, we are laying up treasures for ourselves in heaven.

2. Buy white rainment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear. How does someone with filthy garments trade them in for clean ones? Through the blood of Jesus. When we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us, and cleanse us from all unrighteounsess.

3. Anoint thine eyes with eyesalve that thou mayest see. How do we do that? Through God's Word. The Bible tells us that God's Word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our pathway. You mentioned how people like to compare themselves to one another. That is not wise. What we need to do is look at ourselves in the mirror of God's Word to see clearly. When we do that, we see how needy we really are, and what a helpless state we are in without God's grace.

You guys should at least explain your points. You're just as good as not replying at all without doing so... :noidea:

Please tell me how the scriptures do not relate to what was posted please. Enlighten us. If you feel a message is misguiding someone, would you simply sit by and do nothing about it???

If Blien and Gauntlet are going to make comments like that, I agree with you that they should give some sort of explaination for them. Here are my thoughts on the passage in question.

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

15 I know thy works, that thou are neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white rainment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

In reality, God tells us why he considers the Laodicean church lukewarm in verse 17. The people have stopped trusting in God, and are putting their trust in self. They are forgetting where their provision comes from. They are forgetting that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights..." James 1:17. They think they have arrived spiritually, and have need of nothing from God. In reality, God sees them as wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked.

1. Buy gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich. To me this means learn to be a giving person. When we learn to be charitable, we are laying up treasures for ourselves in heaven.

2. Buy white rainment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear. How does someone with filthy garments trade them in for clean ones? Through the blood of Jesus. When we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us, and cleanse us from all unrighteounsess.

3. Anoint thine eyes with eyesalve that thou mayest see. How do we do that? Through God's Word. The Bible tells us that God's Word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our pathway. You mentioned how people like to compare themselves to one another. That is not wise. What we need to do is look at ourselves in the mirror of God's Word to see clearly. When we do that, we see how needy we really are, and what a helpless state we are in without God's grace.

Good post.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/03/1989

Thanks for your post. I don't disagree with it, but if someone asks you, "what does God think about people that are lukewarm?", why wouldn't this passage be something we can point to? Yes, Jesus is upset with the Church, but couldn't this apply to many people and not just who He is speaking with here? Aren't there plenty of people today that fit the description of the people in the Laodiceans? Wouldn't this mean they are lukewarm as well?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

What does the Lord say about lukewarm Christians?

Revelation 3:16 - "So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth".

What are the attributes of a lukewarm Christian?

1. Craving or valuing attention and acceptance from man over God.

- Luke 6:26 - How terrible it will be for you when everyone says nice things about you, because that's the way their ancestors used to treat the false prophets!"

2. Rarely sharing their faith in Christ

Matthew 28:19-20 - Therefore, as you go, disciple people in all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything that I've commanded you. And remember, I am with you each and every day until the end of the age."

3. Do whatever it takes to alleviate guilt

4. Think more about life on earth than eternity in heaven

- Matthew 6:20-21 - But keep on storing up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal,because where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

5. Gauge morality by comparing themselves with others

Luke 18:11-13 -The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Thanks for your post. I don't disagree with it, but if someone asks you, "what does God think about people that are lukewarm?", why wouldn't this passage be something we can point to? Yes, Jesus is upset with the Church, but couldn't this apply to many people and not just who He is speaking with here? Aren't there plenty of people today that fit the description of the people in the Laodiceans? Wouldn't this mean they are lukewarm as well?

But why do you need reference points in the first place? Throughout the Bible there are numerous examples by the Apostle Paul and others who let the Holy Spirit speak through them. Do you not remember this verse?

Mark 13:11

11Now when they take you [to court] and put you under arrest, do not be anxious beforehand about what you are to say nor [even ] meditate about it; but say whatever is given you in that hour and at the moment, for it is not you who will be speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

So we dont need to prepare anything. If God wants us to speak to person, he will provide the words and the thoughts, and inspiration.. as we are the fragile temple of the Holy Spirit, we need not worry about these things. God is with us.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

I guess the important question to ask is...Is this "church" that Jesus is speaking of, a person, actual church, an age, or all the above? If it is a individual person, is this person saved to begin with? If they are saved, why would they be wretched, poor, blind, miserable, and naked? When we are truly saved, God SEALS us (2 Corinth 1:22, Ephesians 1:13 and 4:30, 2 Tim. 2:19) and therefore we already would have robes of white...these robes are made white from the blood of Christ. So who are these people without robes? Are these those that just use Jesus' name for personal gain? maybe that's why they claim to be rich and in need of nothing....They don't search for truth, knowledge, or wisdom. They may not search to do what's best for the "church". Maybe these, Laodiceans are those that Christ speaks of that said "Lord, Lord, have we not prophecied in your name and cast out demons?" and Christ replies..."depart, For I do not know you". Maybe they are lukewarm because they don't deny the name, yet deny the power of the gift that was given at the cross.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I guess the important question to ask is...Is this "church" that Jesus is speaking of, a person, actual church, an age, or all the above?

Yes. The church is a living corporate Person.