IGNORED

Is it a sin to....

Guest tele-holic

Guest tele-holic

Okay. I watch a show called "Danny Phantom" anyway, it's about a 14 year old who's half ghost.. He can overshadow people, phase through walls, et c... Anyway, my dad doesn't want me to watch it because it has ghosts.. I know the difference between fiction and reality of course, he just doesn't want me watching it because I'm a Christian and we don't believe in that stuff.. Yet, he watches a Show called Stargate SG1 and the show basically contradicts that God ever created the earth.. I don't believe it's really fair.. anyway, do you believe that watching this show about a ghost is a sin?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/22/1983

i personally don't think that it's a sin to watch or read things about ghosts, unless it creates a temptation for you to dabble in the occult or something. however, you are supposed to honor your parents. maybe you could ask your dad why he doesn't want you watching it, and you and he can do a study on what the Bible has to say about it. if he still says no, obey him, even if it doesn't make sense to you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

I don't blame your dad. As parents, we have to oversee what our kids are watching. It's our responsibility. Ghosts are actually demons who just pretend to be ghosts. They are evil, but may not seem that way - especially on television. I wouldn't want my kids watching anything that makes evil seem like it's cool and that would include shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and shows about witches.

You should be so thankful to have a dad who cares about you and doesn't want you to be fooled by what seems perfectly okay, but is actually evil and dangerous. There are many parents who don't care at all about what their kids watch. Your dad is protecting your mind. That's his job. Some day you will be grateful and thankful to him for this protection.

Guest LadyC

i'm with your dad on this one too. we often open our doors wide to satan by seemingly 'harmless' fiction... but there's nothing harmless about satan.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I agree with pamjane on this one. Your father is trying to protect you. It's his job. But discussion with him on it can only be a good thing. I never would have thought of a Bible study on it, but now that she mentions it I say suggest it to him in your discussion. And honor his wishes because that's what God says we're supposed to do with our parents- honor them.

This is like the Harry Potter discussion in the controversies forum in that the fantasy doesn't have to be based on the evil that it is in the real world. Just as magic performed by people comes from the Devil so do ghosts. However, in the world of fiction that isn't necessarily true like in the cartoon. However, even if your father changes his mind and says you can watch it, if you lose sight of what ghosts really are when watching it then you must stop before you get hurt. Satan would love to get a grip on your heart in whatever way he can.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,296
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  04/07/1989

I dont think so. I'd ask him about the show he is watching and let him know what he is saying, is the same thing.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Actually, it doesn't matter what WE think. Your dad is your dad. And what he says goes. Parents aren't trying to mess up your fun. They are trying to protect you.

There were shows my kids could not watch, even though their friends all watched them. I told them that when they are grown, they can watch anything they want.....as long as they have taken it before the Lord first. :t2:

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Tele-holic,

I am with others - regardless of what you perceive as the right and wrong of your Dad's decision, you will honor him by obeying him. Perhaps you can watch SG-1 with him and ask questions (respectfully) about the show, like, "Do you believe there are people on other worlds?" or "Do you think that Jesus died for them too?" I have watched SG-1 periodically and there are "other gods" and "spiritists" and "psychic activity" all through the program. I personally don't see a difference between what he is watching and what you would like to watch. He is not setting a good example for you.

But like I said it is better to honor your parents by obeying them regardless.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Actually, it doesn't matter what WE think. Your dad is your dad. And what he says goes. Parents aren't trying to mess up your fun. They are trying to protect you.

There were shows my kids could not watch, even though their friends all watched them. I told them that when they are grown, they can watch anything they want.....as long as they have taken it before the Lord first. :blink:

:D:blink: Excellent advice IR.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  284
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/29/1940

Dear tele-holic, I agree with the others, you should obey your father. But I think if you were respectful to your father, you could ask him about the show, that he is watching. I think it is wonderful, if parents are able to discuss issues, with there children. God Bless, Faith :blink: