• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  511
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/08/1975

Greetings,

Did you miss the part where it says that God PREPARED a big fish? Since Daniel wasn't eaten in the Lion's den and Shadrack, Mishack and Obednego didn't die in the oven, I don't see why Jonah would have had to die in the whale.

As was said "Dead men don't pray", God had a job for Jonah and He was going to make sure that Jonah understood that God was not going to let him off the hook so easy - not even hoping for death and praying to be tossed overboard would help Jonah get off the hook. I believe we see a very clear picture of God's TOTAL sovereignty here.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

And you absolutely could be right....

:il:

Excpet if you recall...Daniel didn't die, and the three didn't burn because they were being obedient to God. Besides the fact that they were prepared to die for thier faith/beliefs.

If we remember what Jonah was doing on the water for the fish to eat him anyway....(running from his responsibility.....not being obidient...and living in sin against God)...it lends a great deal of credit to the idea that he was dead.

Either way...it doesn't change the fact that Christ is risen, and we can find forgiveness of sin and redemption through faith in His finished work on the cross!

Glory be to God in the highest

~serving Christ in faith!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

I am now realizing that the reason I brought this up was kind of silly.

We had rented the Vegetales version of Jonah. My husband was talking about how Scripture was really twisted in this movie, one of the things he talked about was that Jonah was alive in the whale the whole time, when according to Scripture he was dead those three days.

I must confess to never having considered he might have been dead the whole time, then raised to life again.

My Sunday School teachers never taught me that!

I must confess to never having considered he might have been dead the whole time, then raised to life again.

I heard it from J Vernon McGee first.....

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  511
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/08/1975

I heard it from J Vernon McGee first.....

me too! :wub:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

I always admired J Vernon McGee, listened to him since I was probably 10 or a little older.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  881
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Excpet if you recall...Daniel didn't die, and the three didn't burn because they were being obedient to God.  Besides the fact that they were prepared to die for thier faith/beliefs.

If we remember what Jonah was doing on the water for the fish to eat him anyway....(running from his responsibility.....not being obidient...and living in sin against God)...it lends a great deal of credit to the idea that he was dead.

Either way...it doesn't change the fact that Christ is risen, and we can find forgiveness of sin and redemption through faith in His finished work on the cross!

Glory be to God in the highest

~serving Christ in faith!

Good point. I was going to mention God sent his angel to stop the mouths of the lions. Jonah didn't get that intervention. He was eaten.

I just found this on an other message board. Thought you might like it.

Can anybody help me with the research question from Chap. 2? I have accomplished some insights, but there is one I would like to read.

Do any of you have a copy of:

McGee, Dr. J. Vernon, Thru The Bible Commentary on Jonah?

I am particularly interested in a copy of p. 40. I understand Dr. McGee illustrated 6 reports of modern individuals who have survived being swallowed by a large fish or whale. Is it possible you could send me a copy of the page?

BTW, I found that, Popular Mechanics, December 2001, pages 78-81 had this to contribute to our search:

Guest shadow2b
-Much ado about nothing. We can spend ot time more profitable making disciples.

-THEN STOP WASTING YO TIME AROUND HERE & GO MAKE DISCIPLES- :t2::P:P