• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

It's 4:33am here. I woke up an hour ago after having a dream that I met a man who was thrown out of his home. An Indian man and he was working at a store like CVS/Pharmacy but had no place to go.. no home. He told me of his son who lived in a certain place that I could go stay with him but as mentioned he didn't know where he was going to sleep that night. I asked him how can this be? And he said something like I'm in battle for the Lord or something like that and then I woke up.

When I woke up I was compelled to read from my Bible. I opened it up and it was Judges 11 the story of Jephthah. Now Jephthah was born of a harlot, and was thrown out of his home and it says here in the Bible that..

Judges 11:3

So Jephthah fled from his brothers and lived in the land of Tob. Soon he had a band of worthless rebels following him.

Just like the man in my dream.. but I did not see any rebels with this man. So anyway.. I just wanted to know. Why is it in this story that God let Jephthah offer up his daughter when he stopped Abraham from offering up his son in Genesis?

Anyone with insight and understanding?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

It's 4:33am here. I woke up an hour ago after having a dream that I met a man who was thrown out of his home. An Indian man and he was working at a store like CVS/Pharmacy but had no place to go.. no home. He told me of his son who lived in a certain place that I could go stay with him but as mentioned he didn't know where he was going to sleep that night. I asked him how can this be? And he said something like I'm in battle for the Lord or something like that and then I woke up.

When I woke up I was compelled to read from my Bible. I opened it up and it was Judges 11 the story of Jephthah. Now Jephthah was born of a harlot, and was thrown out of his home and it says here in the Bible that..

Judges 11:3

So Jephthah fled from his brothers and lived in the land of Tob. Soon he had a band of worthless rebels following him.

Just like the man in my dream.. but I did not see any rebels with this man. So anyway.. I just wanted to know. Why is it in this story that God let Jephthah offer up his daughter when he stopped Abraham from offering up his son in Genesis?

Anyone with insight and understanding?

Well as for your dream I am not sure as to why God allowed it that I may have some insight. I think the key is in the difference between the reasons of the sacrifice. With Abraham God asked him to do it as a test of faith. Abraham was willing to sacrifice Issac because of his faith that God would simply raise him up from the dead, this we discover in Hebrews 11:17

"By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 of whom it was said, "In Isaac your seed shall be called,"19 concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense. "

as for Jephthah he made a foolish vow with out realizing the potential consequences. It seems likely that he thought that perhaps one of his pets would be the first thing to greet him. The last person who he expected to see out that door was his precious daughter.

"35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he tore his clothes, and said, "Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low! You are among those who trouble me! For I have given my word to the LORD, and I cannot go back on it."

He is clearly distraught and he knew he had made a foolish vow. In knowing the Lord's character I am sure he would have saved the poor girl if her father had begged forgiveness of this foolish vow. But he did not. I think in this case the Lord did not directly intervene so that also we may be warned not to make foolhardy promises to the Lord that we may not be able to keep. We must also remember this. Death on this planet is not the end, it is simply the beginning. So the poor girl died on this planet but I would not be surprised that she is in heaven with Jesus.

So thats my thought of the second part of your question as for the rest not a clue! Hope that helps somewhat.

Edited by Isaiah 6:8

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

There are some differing opinions regarding what actually happened to Jephthah's daughter:

1. That he sacrificed her according to pagan practices (this is what the Canaanites did).

2. That he simply dedicated her to a life of celibacy and kept her a virgin.