• Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/27/1970

Hello One Way, nice to meet you.

Abraham's bosom.

It could not have been an actual event.

The rich man was in punishment and Lazurus was with Abraham.

We see at Luke 16:24 that the rich man feels pain from a fire. That spirits can feel flames from a fire is surprising. (It is not after the resurrection because he is told that his family have the prophets to listen to. This in itself destroys the idea that Jesus went to Hell, there is no point. There is no bridging the gulf.)

Water too is a substance that has an effect on the spirit of a man? Maybe while he remains in the body.

I know we know next to nothing about the spirit realm but my bet is that the spirit is not affected by physical things and so the parable of the rich man could not be an actual event.

I thought I'd send this first. Still working on your reply.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/27/1970

hello, i actually want to contrebute to the discussion.

in the book of luke 16:19 "there was a certain rich man......."

this was to a parable but actual story of an event that took place at a time ,

Jesus was not in Hell then at the actual day of that story but Jesus is saying that

actually there is Hell.In Eph 4:8-9,Rev1:18,ps16:10"thou wit not leave my soul in hell......."

ps 68:18"Thou hast ascended on high,thou hast led captivity captive:thou hast receiced

gift for men;........."Jesus actual descended.

thanks.

it's shola1111

Hello One Way, nice to meet you.

Abraham's bosom.

It could not have been an actual event.

The rich man was in punishment and Lazurus was with Abraham.

We see at Luke 16:24 that the rich man feels pain from a fire. That spirits can feel flames from a fire is surprising. (It is not after the resurrection because he is told that his family have the prophets to listen to. This in itself destroys the idea that Jesus went to Hell, there is no point. There is no bridging the gulf.)

Water too is a substance that has an effect on the spirit of a man? Maybe while he remains in the body.

I know we know next to nothing about the spirit realm but my bet is that the spirit is not affected by physical things and so the parable of the rich man could not be an actual event.

I thought I'd send this first. Still working on your reply.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/13/1934

I believe the original OP wanted to know if Jesus went to hell upon His death on the Cross. Much of the postings are concerned with the physical place called "hell" and whether anyone is in that place or whether the occupants of Hell must wait for the "lake of fire" at the Last Judgement. But I feel that the real point of Jesus' sacrifice is being rather studiously avoided.

In 2 Corinthians 5:23, Paul tells the Corinthian church (and us by extension) that "...he hath made him (Jesus, v. 20) to be sin for us, who knew no sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" . Now that we know that Jesus was made sin for us on the Cross of Calvary, we can understand the anguished cry of Jesus from the Cross "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? That is to say My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me? (Matthew 27:31, KJV). The original phrase Jesus cried out was in His native tongue, Aramaic, hence the translation in the second part of verse 31. This was when Jesus became sin for us and a righteous God, who could not look on sin in any form, was forced to turn away from His only begotten son because of our sin that Jesus now possessed. Paul, in Romans 6:28 tells us that the wages (just payment for) sin is death. This death is total separation from a holy and righteous God who cannot tolerate sin in any fashion in His Presence. Thus Jesus was totally separated from His own Father just before He died on the Cross. The place where those souls went who were totally separated from God Almighty because of their unpaid sin debt is generally referred to as "Hell' no mater what Greek word you are trying to define. Out of the Presence of Almighty God because of your sin debt is Hell no matter how you slice it. Jesus was definitely out of the Presence of Almighty God, not for His sin debt but because of our sin debt. The sin debt must be paid, either by you or by Jesus. Since Jesus had no personal sin debt to pay for, Hell could not keep Him and He came out of that place of torment with the keys of death and hell in His hand as Revelation 1:18 clearly shows. Keys speak of authority, so Jesus is showing that He has authority over both death and Hell in revelation 1:18.

So, did Jesus go to hell to pay our sin debt? He had to since Hell is that place, whatever you may call it, that is outside the Presence of Almighty God, where the devil and his demons now abide. Had Jesus not gone to Hell, He never could have paid the price for our sin debt and we would not today have a Savior.