• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

I do not want to hijack the thread where this was first mentioned, so please feel free to contribute to this:

Shiloh has the right idea that we are NOT mini-gods and nowhere in scripture is such an idea supported. We shall not even BECOME mini-gods, as perhaps the Mormons et al. may teach.

So first let me quote the appropriate verses:

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

1 Corinthians 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

In this last verse, notice that woman was NOT made in the "image of man". That is "man is the glory of God and woman is the glory of man". But I digress.

Since we know that God IS "spirit", and thus resides in a totally different realm than this creation and to us is in essence "invisible". So there is no relation of God to the physical of which we are.

So what about the "spiritual" part of us? Had Adam had the Holy Spirit indwelling him upon his creation, I do not believe he would have disobeyed God. This does not say Adam did NOT have a "spirit", only it was "man's spirit" and NOT the Holy Spirit. Thus there is NO comparison between man and God here.

So what about the "mental" aspect of human life. Well God is omniscient as opposed to man who is extremely limited in his knowledge, or for that matter any of his special "senses" including the ability to think and to know. Between God and man there IS NO comparison here either.

So have I eliminated all the possibilities of "man being in the image of God"? Well not actually for there is another "comparison", but it is a little more abstract than what I have already mentioned. It has to do with AUTHORITY and POWER. Let me ask first, for those who would desire "money", how would you like to be "made over" in Donald's Trump's image? In case you haven't heard of him, how about being made in the image of Bill Gates?

So how does this stack up with the scriptures, let's take a closer look:

Genesis 1:26-28 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Do you see here that the "image of God" in which man was created, was to be LIKE HIM in having DOMINION and the POWER of creation and OVER all the creation which God's hands had made. We also see that Adam named all the living creatures for they were HIS to do and to submit to HIM.

If this is not enough, let's consider Jesus:

Hebrews 2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Once Jesus left His omni-qualities in the throneroom of God and became man, he was made in all ways like unto us:

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Philippians 2:7-8 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Did Jesus have any authority or dominion in THIS WORLD?

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

The one very thing that Jesus had that man in general never had, and only those who subsequent to him and believed/es Him has is the Holy Spirit:

John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

The Holy Spirit was the source of POWER, DOMINION AND AUTHORITY in Jesus life and so we see:

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The Greek Word here for power is "dunamis" which is "supernatural spiritual power".

And so to conclude, as we see Adam relinquishing his God given power over his "will" to the serpent, so all men lost the estate of power and dominion which God had given to man. But NOW, when we are born again and filled with the Holy Ghost, we are immediately FILLED WITH POWER to do and to will as God directs. Before this occurs though, we are under the control of the powers of this world and even our own selfish soul controls all that we do. But now our spirit armed with the POWER of the Holy spirit, we now regain control over our own souls and are able to wage war against the Prince and Power of the Air.

Any questions?

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Who was Jesus? God.

Genesis 32

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

Exodus 24

10 and saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was something like a pavement made of sapphire, clear as the sky itself.

Exodus 24

11 But God did not raise his hand against these leaders of the Israelites; they saw God, and they ate and drank.

I do believe God has a form,

Jesus "is the Form of the invisible God."

Gen 32

22 That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maidservants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. 24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak."

But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me."

27 The man asked him, "What is your name?"

"Jacob," he answered.

28 Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, [5] because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

29 Jacob said, "Please tell me your name."

But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there.

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, [6] saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

delete

Greetings 2bba,

How do we know if God was not talking about making man in the image of God where image means within. In other words the entire universe is God and he made us within that image.

Maybe he was just talking about making us smart like Him, Intelligent. How do we know how bright Adam may have been? Before the fall Adam was able to carry on a conversation with God. God liked to come and talk to Adam. The Earth was Adam

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

The word image means "a visual representation". So we look much like God looks visually because we are made in his image.

Not only are we made in his image but also his likeness.

Likeness: Similarity in appearance or character or nature between persons or things.

Meaning God not only made us to look like him but we are also made of the same character, nature and have similar qualities. Such as power and authority.

So we can gather from scripture: We look like God and we have some of the same nature and qualities of God.

Guys dont cheapin the word of God.

Man in his fallen state is far from the likeness of God but this is what Jesus came to restore.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

delete

Guest shiloh357
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

The word used here for image is the word "tselem" and means sketch or shade. It does not mean that God duplicated himself. Christ alone is the express image of God.

Col 1:15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;

We are as Matthew Henry puts it, "a shadow in the glass" as far as any resemblance to God is concerned. It is in our nature that resemble our creator. We have the ability to think in the abstract, to produce or "create." We have the intellect to communicate.

The word for likeness is D'mut and means "resemblance." While we do resemble God in a limited way, it is very limited, and should be seen in its proper light.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  997
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

A couple of points to consider:

Gen. 3:17: "...for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

Gen. 3:6: "...and he did eat."

Gen. 5:3: "And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years..."

Thus, Adam died spiritually on the day that he "did eat"-He lost the Spirit of God that was in him(Gen. 3:7-"...breathed into his nostrils...").

Adam was a direct created being, and was a "son of God" , made in the image of God. We are considered "sons of Adam"(prior to salvation), having the image of fallen Adam:

"And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth..." Gen 5:3

"When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam..." Deut. 32:8

"Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God." Luke 3:38

However, the rational the LORD God provides us for "capital punishment":

"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man." Gen. 9:6

Seems those "in Adam"(1 Cor. 15:22) are made in Adam's likeness and the LORD

God's image?

Just "some thoughts".

In Christ,

John Whalen

Greetings jmwhalen,

Thus, Adam died spiritually on the day that he "did eat"-He lost the Spirit of God that was in him(Gen. 3:7-"...breathed into his nostrils...").

1 Thess 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Man, even Adam is a tripartite creature having a spirit, soul and body.

The body is but dust and to dust it shall return.

The soul is what animates that "dust", and it is concerned with ONLY the body's welfare, its needs, its desires etc. Man (dust) became a "living soul".

The "spirit of man" on the other hand is the "link" between body/soul and its surroundings and others and in particular to God.

Death came to Adam after 930 years because he did not have access to the Tree of Life. Had he remained in the Garden, he would still be living today. He DID NOT die "spiritually" when he sinned, because if he had, he could not have instructed his kids - Cain and Abel in the "ways of the Lord" as can be seen by Abel's sacrifice of blood, which God found acceptable.

But sin has this propensity to increase, and as it increases it drives the person further and further from God and the "lie of Satan" can be seen clearly with the story of the Tower of Babel, where men "became like gods" in their own eyes of course.

So the death was a physical death which God imposed by keeping Adam from the Garden. He did NOT have his "spirit" OR "soul" taken away from him, but indeed Adam's "spirit" because "corrupted" after he sinned against God. It was no longer in total and complete subjection to God, but "sought after the things of this world" and continued to bow down to Satan to whom he gave his God-given authority to.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Guest Godisreliable

My brothers and sisters in Christ,

Please do not let satan play with your minds, God has given us the power to resist Him.

God does not have a physical form, He is a Spirit and He can take any form that He desires.

Throughout the Bible, God has taken several form - it proves to us that because of HIS omnipotence, He can take any form that He wants. But God is a Spirit, He is invisible. Therefore, He does not "have" a physical form, but He can take a physical form.

The image of God....

What God meant by "His image" is not an physical image, but an image in term of knowledge, qualities and understanding, meaning that God put in us what He has in Him. He can love, so can we - He can talk, so can we - He can create a plan, so can we... etc...

Biblical scriptures...

Key:

Col 3:10 - And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Ephesians 4:24 - And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

God bless!

Edited by Godisreliable