• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/17/1945

Set your mind on the things above.

One of the biggest challenges facing Christians today is the focus and involvement in the things on the earth. Many things seek to occupy a believer

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  23
  • Birthday:  09/17/1945

I believe it's a matter of where we are setting our sights. Are we looking under rocks for the boogie man, or are we looking for the Lord's appearing? See, I believe that there is a difference between looking for, and loving the Lord's appearing and looking for the "signs of the times." The difference might seem small or inconsequential, but as far as gaining the Lord there is a big difference.

In 2 Timothy 4:8 it says, "Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, with which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will recompense me in that day, and not only me but also all those who have loved his appearing."

The word for "appearing" in this verse is the Greek from which we get our English "Epiphany." Therefore, Paul is not only referring to the Lord's appearing "in that day," but he is referring to the Lord's instant and continual appearing to His saints. The tense of the verse also lends credence to this fact. Paul was one who understood that not only is the Lord going to appear but that He also is appearing to the saints. We need to love and cherish the Lord's present appearing to us, aside from also waiting anxiously for the Lord's return. Actually, it is by the Lord's appearing that Paul charged Timothy to fulfill his ministry (1 Tim. 4:1-2, 5)

Many of us are so focussed on looking for the Lord's return that we miss His continual and present appearing. In fact, if we examine the situation with the Jews in the Lord's first appearing, we can see a startling comparison to believers today. When the Messiah came there were those who recognized Him and followed Him without question. There were those who, like John, knew who He was (John 1:1; 1 John 1:1-2). However, there were others who not only rejected His having come as the Messiah, but who were still waiting for the Messiah's first coming. So there was a group of the Lord's believers who loved and cherished His present coming, and then there were others who were still looking for Him.

Now I'm not saying that some of us have the Lord and others do not. But the principal here is that our primary need is to cherish the Lord's present appearing. It is the by Lord's present appearing, not His future appearance, that we receive the crown of righteousness. Those who cherish the Lord's present appearing will certainly be prepared for his future appearance.

Amen!

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  207
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hello all! God bless you!

It's wonderful believe in God and hope for his promises, 'coz they're truth.

Jesus loves you! sorry for my english, it isn't my native language, but i can say Jesus is the reason of my life for I accepted him im my heart 12 years ago. He's the unique!!!! Read I Peter 5.7

Rejoice in the Lord

Kisse & hugs

Very good English considering its not your native language!

Great post

:whistling:

Guest shikenah

Praise God G-Man (if I have the right name.)

Set your mind on things above. Our society has gotten very much to the point of seeking after the "created" instead of the "creator". Matthew 6:36: Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

I have seen lately, that in our Christian society, that you have saints seeking the things of God more than God himself. We know and understand that we are living in the last times and there are promises that God has decreed for these days. For example Joel2:28...In the last days, I will pour out of my spirit upon all flesh... And not to forget the promises that was given to the believers as in Mark 16...And these signs shall follow them that believe...they shall cast out devils, speak with new tongues, lay hands on the sick and they shall recover, and if they drink any deadly thing it will not harm them. I'm saying all of that to say this...I am seeing in a lot of our pentecostal churches, the seeking of the things that God can do. They are seeking the prosperity of God, they are seeking the signs and wonders of God, they are seeking the outpouring of God's spirit, they are seeking for this great revival, that they want to make happen. Is all of this wrong? No, as long as it is according to God's will. The issue that I am having is with the ones who are seeking all of this to make a name for themselves, or to exalt themselves. God is my life and worship is my lifestyle. I love to continually stay in God's presence, and to enjoy the fellowship of others in Christ, so I do a lot of Church. This is the season for conferences, revivals, and convocations, so I have been doing a lot of churching the past few weeks. It seems that everyone is in unity that this is the year of jubilee...the year of the Lord's release. It seems everyone is believing that God is going to manifest Himself like never before in these last days, and everyone is looking for the signs and wonders of God...With all of this believing and all of this churching, I can count about maybe three preachers focused their sermons on the saving of the souls. Everyone else had everyone to their feet, jumping, praising God, and shouting, but not many made an altar call for the backslidder or for the one that doesn't know Jesus...but rather made for the one who is believing for a breakthrough, never for deliverance.

Am I wrong? Sometimes I think that it is just me alway looking for fault and I really don't want to be doing that. I'm just looking for the Spirit of God to be returned back to it's rightful place as King David did in IISamuel 6. That place today is within us...within our churches.

It's high time for us to take our eyes off the things that God has or can do and place our eyes to the hills from whence cometh our help knowing that our help comes from the Lord. It is He that keepth Israels, it is He that will not slumber...so it is He who we need to be seeking.

• 4 months later...

Your words were very inspiring and an eye opener. I am a student in college. Life hear as a Christian requires that one lives to the utmost example of Our Lord and Saviour. When I joined this campus, was told that christians here only wear the Name of Christ but don't actually live tha kind of life that is associated with it. To me it was quite a challenge tha I was glad to take up. Living for Him should become our prerogative and should never be placed on the negotiating table for whatever reason. Once got mail from a buddy who had read a certain book pertaining a lady who had been taken by Christ to hell. She was shown all the "christians" who ended up there. The reason;the "small" sins that we normally take for grated. Righteouseness is more of a prerequisite thatn an option when it comes to God. I only pray that people realise this sooner rather than later. :emot-highfive:

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

Set your mind on the things above.

One of the biggest challenges facing Christians today is the focus and involvement in the things on the earth. ... But should we all become "political Christians"?

Consider: What is the mind of Christ towards this matter? Wait -- before you answer that: involvement in the "things on the earth" is directly tied to living in my natural mind: tied to the lusts of my flesh. I am in all things to be about the laying aside of my mind for His. What is the mind and heart of Christ? Is it politics? Is it business? Aren't all of these things done in context and service from His mind in us to the will, purpose and goals and good pleasure of God Himself (Father, Son and Spirit)?

Where can we find a healthy balance? ... Many have become devoid of life and waste because of this great distraction.

Examine yourself to see if you have the mind of Christ in you? What are His goals? What is He seeking? Were does my life fit within His mind, His goals, His purpose and His pleasure? Look at Jesus. Look at what He thought, which was behind every action, word and deed recorded. Look for the mind of God in scripture: What He sees as important and worthwhile. Seeking the lost, setting captives free from sin, healing and focus -- deep focus -- on the inward man and God there in Spirit -- our relationship to Him there.

Look at the fruits of your (my) life and trace our words and actions back to the emotions, thoughts and mind from which they sprang. Is it the mind of Christ or our natural mind bound to the lusts of our flesh?

The Bible tells us that our first priority is to seek the Lord

• 4 months later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19

In response to the quote below: Yes, this is not only so true, but it a true to not be taken lightly. God has been impressing on me lately, how we don't have much time on this earth. It is really as a vapor in the wind. Here...then gone. Let us avoid stress, strife and live to make it worth it.

"So to finish up, dear saints. Let us be reminded of where we are seated. We are seated

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I believe in constant work to build up God's Kingdom. Whatever contributes therein, is worthy of my time. Whatever doesn't, isn't. At work, where I'm known as a skilled and hard worker, I'm also somewhat of a 'black sheep', because I won't join the main gossip circle that meets everyday for lunch. Our 'foreman', if you will, belongs to it and often leads it. I find this most unappealing, and refuse to submit to that false authority. I hold alone with Christ.

• Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Welcome!

Thank you.