Bold Believer

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

From time to time, the question "Do I have to be baptized to be saved" comes up. So then just what does baptism have to do with our salvation?

Some groups (notably Roman Catholicism and some parts of the Church of Christ) believe that baptism is essential to salvation: i.e. no baptism, no salvation.

At the other end of the spectrum is the Salvation Army which doesn't practice baptism at all.

Most Christian theology seems to lie somewhere in the middle.

Entire denominations have sprung up over HOW and WHEN baptism should be carried out. Full immersion, sprinkling, pouring; infant baptism, adult baptism, believer's baptism.

So then where is the truth?

Mark 16:16 clearly states: "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

Some will immediately cite the example of the condemned thief on the cross as a proof that baptism is irrelevant. My answer to that is that there are exceptions, (Imminent death. Lack of water availability, health reasons.)

Others will say: Well if I have to baptized to be saved, isn't that a form of works? I would say that faith without works is dead.

You see, baptism doesn't save you, IT SHOWS (confesses) that you are saved.

Romans 6 is the perfect primer on the 'why' of baptism. It explains the correlation of baptism to Christ's death for us.

So then, I personally believe in baptismal confession. It's a public way of saying "I believe in Jesus Christ and the efficacy of His death and the fact of His resurrection."

Just for those who Believe in Baptismal Regeneration I'd have a question:

When a Gentile asks what must I do to be saved. Why would the Holy Spiirt forget to include Baptism? Early Altzheimers setting in? One would think God would give everything necessary for salvation when the exact question is asked by a Gentile Believer.

yet we see in Acts 16 that only Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ is included as that mandatory for Salvation. I have yet to hear a good anwser to that question given its the only time anyone asks what is necessary for Salvation recorded in the New Testament in question form.

Paul does reply to the jailor "believe and you will be saved" in Acts 16. But, you must continue reading to get the full picture of salvation. If you continue reading you will see in vs 32 that further words are spoken. In vs 33 you see baptism taking place. In vs 34 they rejoice after having believed. "Believing" encapsulates all that occurred between vs's 32 & 34. Believing is not just what you accept in your mind but what you do as well. The same question was asked in Acts 2:37/ Peter replied in vs 38 by saying repent and be baptized. You won't find every piece of the salvation picture in any one verse or set of verses. One must examine the entire scripture to get the picture. Becoming a Christian is as follows:

1) Hear - Matthew 17:5, Acts 10:22 - We must hear what Jesus has to say.

2) Believe - Acts 16:31 - We must believe what we heard.

3) Repent - Acts 3:19 - We must commit to God that we are going to make a change.

4) Confess - Romans 10:9-10 - We must say that Christ is the son of God.

5) Baptism - Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16 - We must be baptized for the forgiveness of sins.

All the pieces are there but we must search and find them. If you read one or two scriptures alone you will come to the wrong conclusion. I know that Joh 3:16 says believe and you will be saved. But Acts 3:19 says repent and sins will be removed (sins removed = salvation). So is there a contradiction? No. Both are correct. All these things must be done for you to be saved. In order to understand how one becomes a Christian we must look at the "contextual" scriptures in the NT where folks are becoming Christians. What did they do? We must all do the same things.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... I know that Joh 3:16 says believe and you will be saved. But Acts 3:19 says repent and sins will be removed (sins removed = salvation).....

Yes

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Jesus

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. John 15:3

Saves

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, Revelation 1:5

See

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

Eat

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

>>>>>()<<<<<

Eat

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

And Be Blessed Beloved

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalms 23:1-3

Love, Joe

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

It appears that all early local churches and/or groups baptised by immersion. Salvation by the act of baptism is false as you clearly pointed out. Regenerative baptism does not save.

Amen!

:thumbsup:

In actuality, not believing that baptism is part of our salvation is false.

What people are failing to realize is this:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Every single scripture given to us in the NT is for our reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. When we start leaving some of it out or claiming that we are not saved by certain parts of it we are dealing falsely against the gospel. When you read the bible you see that we are saved by more than just faith. We are saved by faith, by washing of regeneration (Titus 3:5), fear (Jude 1:3), baptism (1 Peter 3:20), prayer (James 5:150), engrafted word (James 1:21), hope (Romans 8:24).

I think that people get tunnel vision with "faith" and block everything else out. If it doesn't support being saved by "faith only" then it is a false teaching. False teaching is when you leave things out of what the gospel was truly intended to be. We are saved by our faith and obedience to the gospel of Christ. Through our faith we do and live by what the gospel tell us even if it includes baptism.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Faith without doing the works of the gospel makes for a dead faith. So, if baptism is a work commanded for us to do in the scriptures and we don't do it our faith is dead and our faith then won't save us.

The thief on the cross died before the gospel of baptism for remission of sins was in effect. The NT did not come into power until the death of Christ. The scriptures do dictate that Jesus did have the power to forgive sins while he was on the earth. We need to live by the rules not the exceptions.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

We are saved by faith because through it we believe what God said and we obey. Everything that God gives us saves us.

We are saved by faith because through it we believe what God said and we obey. Everything that God gives us saves us.

I agree.

Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

our obedience defines our faith and encompasses everything that we are told to do in the NT and this includes baptism.

For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; he will save us. Isaiah 33:22

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/08/1946

I was baptized after I was saved as an act of obedience and to show to others that I was now a follower

of Christ. It had nothing to do with me being saved or keeping my salvation--just as works have nothing

to do with being saved or staying saved. We do works not to BE saved but because we ARE saved.

When Jesus said on the cross, "It is finished", He was referring to the finished work of God's plan for our

redemption. He did all that way necessary, and our feeble efforts to help Him save us are at best offensive

to Him. What gall for anyone to think that God needs our help to do anything--including save us or keep us

saved.

If we had a hand in our salvation (other than asking for forgiveness), then we could stand up in heaven

and boast about how we helped the Lord to save us, because His power wasn't enough to do it alone

Such audacity that some people have to believe that they are righteous enough to help procure and to

preserve their salvation when God said, "All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." They are also calling

God weak, because they obviously believe He is not all-powerful since they think He needs their help.

I was baptized after I was saved as an act of obedience and to show to others that I was now a follower

of Christ. It had nothing to do with me being saved or keeping my salvation--just as works have nothing

to do with being saved or staying saved. We do works not to BE saved but because we ARE saved.

When Jesus said on the cross, "It is finished", He was referring to the finished work of God's plan for our

redemption. He did all that way necessary, and our feeble efforts to help Him save us are at best offensive

to Him. What gall for anyone to think that God needs our help to do anything--including save us or keep us

saved.

If we had a hand in our salvation (other than asking for forgiveness), then we could stand up in heaven

and boast about how we helped the Lord to save us, because His power wasn't enough to do it alone

Such audacity that some people have to believe that they are righteous enough to help procure and to

preserve their salvation when God said, "All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." They are also calling

God weak, because they obviously believe He is not all-powerful since they think He needs their help.

What you believe here is incorrect as we are told all through the scriptures that we are to live as the scriptures tell us to live other wise Paul would not have to have made this statement -

2 Timothy 4:6-8 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

If Jesus did everything that is required for man upon this earth then there would be no need for man to be required to obey the gospel.

Also, your quote about our righteousness being as filthy rags is incorrect. That is not the correct translation of that scripture, especially when God commands our righteousness. What you are in turn doing is ascribing God's command for our righteousness as being filthy rags.

1 John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

The righteousness that we do makes us righteous even as God is righteous, but you are saying that this is as filthy rags.

The point you are missing is that Part of the plan of salvation is our obedience to the gospel of Christ and that is doing everything that is written in the NT or you are in sin.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Hi,

Yes I agree, I would add that Baptism is a gift of God it is something that He gives us as a Grace.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

saved.

Hi,

Yes I agree with you. But that is the reason that I believe Baptism as promised in scripture does bring the Holy Spirit and indeed works the forgiveness of sins. We can do nothing it is total grace, Baptism is something that God does for us, not something that we show to God about us, faith itself is something that God gives us. So I do agree with your theme I am just applying it to Baptism if we do Baptism for show only indeed it may be a work, but Baptism is gift not a work.