th1bill

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Maybe the reason I am not understanding the ownership of one can be stated in a question....if it is a means to take a life...why invite that sort of tempation in?

While it may not be anyone's intention to take a life....there really is no other use for a gun. Be it for taking the life of an animal or human being, a life is a life. Just do not see anything good coming out of it that is all.

There will be no agreeing on my part with the use of a gun. Please though, do not think I am saying that anyone who carries one is any less Christian. That is not what I am trying to imply, I just...do not know how anyone can carry or hold that kind of temptation in their home day after day. A gun to me has always been a tool for destruction. It is going to be hard for me to see it any other way. On this thread, I am going to have to simply agree to disagree.

I thank those of you who have provided scripture. It is always enlightening.

May God Bless You

Dani

Because it is likely more self defense than it is destruction. I don't think Pat gets tempted to go out and destroy people, but if someone was attempting to "destroy" his wife or child, he wouldn't hesitate. Would you call the police if your life is in danger? Would you hope they protected you by shooting someone trying to kill you? In some way I think most of us do believe in self defense, but we feel comfortable asking others to do the defense because we don't like it. There isn't anything wrong with that, and as a woman it is an instinct of sorts I guess.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Maybe the reason I am not understanding the ownership of one can be stated in a question....if it is a means to take a life...why invite that sort of tempation in?

While it may not be anyone's intention to take a life....there really is no other use for a gun. Be it for taking the life of an animal or human being, a life is a life. Just do not see anything good coming out of it that is all.

There will be no agreeing on my part with the use of a gun. Please though, do not think I am saying that anyone who carries one is any less Christian. That is not what I am trying to imply, I just...do not know how anyone can carry or hold that kind of temptation in their home day after day. A gun to me has always been a tool for destruction. It is going to be hard for me to see it any other way. On this thread, I am going to have to simply agree to disagree.

May God Bless You

Dani

Because it is likely more self defense than it is destruction. I don't think Pat gets tempted to go out and destroy people, but if someone was attempting to "destroy" his wife or child, he wouldn't hesitate. Would you call the police if your life is in danger? Would you hope they protected you by shooting someone trying to kill you? In some way I think most of us do believe in self defense, but we feel comfortable asking others to do the defense because we don't like it. There isn't anything wrong with that, and as a woman it is an instinct of sorts I guess.

Yes, I would call the cops...but I am not so sure I would want them to just up and shoot someone. The weight of another person's life on a person's conscience is pretty heavy.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,718
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

A gun is not a temptation in any means, if someone wants to kill someone, human kind has already proven more then effective at finding ways to kill people. Cain killed Abel with a rock, should we then outlaw rocks? That was a fine example of a rock being misused. Now on the other hand, we have king david who also used a rock to kill the giant goliath, which wasn't out of cold blood, but rather done to protect his people the Israelites, now imagine, if they had outlawed rocks, David wouldn't have been able to use it to kill goliath. Guns are just a tool evil people use to kill others-no more, no less. Would I use a gun in self defense, of either myself, or my family? absolutly I would, but I dont want to, nor am I tempted to just go out and shoot people for no reason.

Another part, when people hear gun, the first thing that comes to mind is a weapon to be used to kill people, and while that is certainly a use for it, its not the only practical use for a gun. Some other, non-violent uses of guns:

Competition shooting: to some people, shooting is a sport, to see who can make the best shot at the longest range. The only thing that ever gets hurt here are pieces of paper, and is no different then any other sport such as golf, football, socker, etc.

Recreational shooting: friends getting together to again, shoot at targets (anything from paper targets to pop bottles to old junked cars) to target shoot-except without the competitiveness found in competition shooting, more of just a relaxing leisure activity.

Hunting: many people, myself included, enjoy wild game such as wild turkey and deer, and to get wild game you have to hunt. Hunting in itself is an enjoyable experience, it gets you outdoors to enjoy the thrill of Gods creation, and it just the challenge of tracking and getting the game your after is enjoyable.

Collecting: there are a great many people who simply enjoy collecting guns, to many collectors guns are like a stamp is to a stamp collector, each piece has its own intrisic value, its own part in history.

So you see, violence isn't the only use of a gun, in fact, at least in the US I would dare say, voilence is pretty low on the totem pole for what guns are used for. I Know some areas of America have higher gun violence then others-but on a overall scale, I would say the vast majority of guns in America are never even so much as aimed at another human being.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

May God Bless You

Dani

:o Ummmm Anothersinner, you are a vegetarian aren't you? Guns are for more then just killing something, I reload cartridges and it is great to find a loading recipe for a load that can give me less then a one inch group on paper. More shots are fired on the shooting range, then they are at any living thing. It is a stress relief to spend a day at the range for fun or competition shooting. I like long range shooting and to be able to hit a soda can pass three hundred yards is awesome.

I also like hunting, and venison butterfly steaks on the outdoor grill taste great (God gave the okay :thumbsup: ).

Got to go, I'm getting hungry. ;)

May God Bless You

Dani

Yes, I would call the cops...but I am not so sure I would want them to just up and shoot someone. The weight of another person's life on a person's conscience is pretty heavy.

You do realize cops only carry guns to protect themselves? (and the doughnut shop :24:)

May God Bless You

Dani

:o Ummmm Anothersinner, you are a vegetarian aren't you? Guns are for more then just killing something, I reload cartridges and it is great to find a loading recipe for a load that can give me less then a one inch group on paper. More shots are fired on the shooting range, then they are at any living thing. It is a stress relief to spend a day at the range for fun or competition shooting. I like long range shooting and to be able to hit a soda can pass three hundred yards is awesome.

I also like hunting, and venison butterfly steaks on the outdoor grill taste great (God gave the okay :thumbsup: ).

Got to go, I'm getting hungry. ;)

Oh my...this is going to sound real hypocritical of me.....but no. I am not a vegetarian. I could not make it without eating fish, chicken. I love both. Guess it is just....I have to admit, I feel a bit intimidated by guns. So many people of various ages that I know speak of either how awesome they are so long as they are used right....or how dangerous they can be if used incorrectly that I have a hard time not seeing them as a flat out lethal weapon.

My apologies for any misreprestentation or miscommunication.

May God Bless You

Dani

You do realize cops only carry guns to protect themselves? (and the doughnut shop :24:)

Sadly....yes. The only respectable cop I ever knew in my area, my grandfather (on my mother's side) retired. Otherwise...it is not so much donuts...but drugs you have to worried about them being bribed with.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,718
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

guns can be intimidating, especially if youve never been around them. But if your careful with them, once you get comfortable with them their really not that intimidating-once you realize that without someone holding a gun, its just a hunk of wood and steel.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

AnotherSinner, I totally understand. But trust me, no one wants to see the police kill someone unneccessarily. I feel the same way though emot-hug.gif.

guns can be intimidating, especially if youve never been around them. But if your careful with them, once you get comfortable with them their really not that intimidating-once you realize that without someone holding a gun, its just a hunk of wood and steel.

Yep that's all a gun is, metal, wood and I agree that they can be intimidating around those that aren't familiar with them. That is why I like conceal carry, if people don't know you have a gun, they don't get freaked out.

Last week I visited our county courthouse, before going through the metal detector, I walked up to the guard and said I got a gun for you to hold for me. The people there looked shocked when I pulled my gun out to give the guard. The guard thanked me for telling him I got a gun before I pulled it out, he gave me a receipt for the gun and put it in a safe.

I went through the metal detector and preceded to do my business at the courthouse. When leaving, there was a new guard at the detector, I showed him the receipt and he gave me my gun back. I put the gun back in my inside pants holster, the guard asked me if the gun was loaded. I told the guard "what good is an unloaded gun", he said I got a point and I walk out the door.