Guest Xan

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Scientology is one of the new age cults that has been attracting attention in recent years.

It was founded by L. Ron Hubbard renown sci-fi author and has two well known actors as members. John Travolta and Tom Cruise.

But does anybody know anything about it? What do they teach? What kind of doctrine do they follow? How do Christians defend the faith against them?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jipsah
But does anybody know anything about it? What do they teach? What kind of doctrine do they follow? How do Christians defend the faith against them?

I'm afraid so Xan.

I know a little of what Jipsah posted but I wanted to see if anyone else knew anything. I've looked at some apologetics websites and there seems to be precious little information out there about this. I did find some stuff at:

www.watchman.org (Thanks Lan. :D)

I do not think it is a laughing matter though. I think any cult hat teaches something other than what is in the Bible needs to be addressed by Christians so that we can give an adequate defense.

I would like to post a new topic each week on a different cult for discussion. What are the thoughts on this?

Never heard of it. Sounds good Xan.

If we're going to have an Apologetics board it's about time we started talking about apologetics. Most of what has been going on here is either debate or Christian living.

These are important issues but apologetics is about defending the faith. We need to be talking about that on this board as well as learning about the other cults out there. If we don't have an understanding about them we will not be properly equiped to provide a defense.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Amen Knight. That is what Apologetics is less defence though and more offence, LOL. We need to know what cults teach, it has been stated repeatedly that the group that converts to cults the most is Baptists. This bothers me since I fit into this group, but its a shame really. Most Baptist churches teach salvation by faith alone, but like Jipsah said the people don't know why they believe what they believe. Or what the cults teach so that they may have a defence against the false doctrine when they come up against it. We as believers need to be built up and grounded in the faith so that when false doctrine comes around the pike we aren't swayed with every wind of doctrine.

Guest Sword N Spirit
I can talk about the Word of Faith cult.

Word Of Faith started out to be a revelation from God for His people, but then, some started turning it into a means for selfish desires that were out of God's will!

Thus we have "Blab it and grab it"

"Name it and claim it"

"Speak it and reap it"

All out of the will of God!

Xan, What do you have about the Word of Faith?

Xan, What do you have about the Word of Faith?
I have about 8 years worth of junk I had to get out of my head.  The teachings of Robert Tilton, Mario Curillo, Bennie Hinn, etc.  You're right about the prosperity teachings, but I have a feeling you are going to blast me for going up against Hinn and Curillo (you'll probably tell me how to spell his name right).  That's fine, but first I need to know if I can even defend myself.  Let me ask you this:  Do you believe Yeshua (Jesus) could have been with sin prior to being baptized in the Holy Spirit?

For the rest of you who feel the need to correct the way I worded the question, I have a reason for it.

Guest Sword N Spirit

Xan, To answer your question, of course, Jesus was always without sin! Why all the defensivness? I just asked a question. :thumb:

Will you please share what you believe about the Word of Faith cult and why you brought that up?