Chazn

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I must admit, I'm somewhat embarrassed to ask this.  Nevertheless this is a foundational question.

Perhaps one or more of you might know where we got our present canon, how it was decided upon and what are the criterion for determining whether a particular book is or is not canonical? Please keep it clear and simple so that a pea-brain, such as myself can understand.  Thanks :exclaimation:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Count:  25

Please clarify for "this" peabrain what "canon" is.  :exclaimation:

Guest astralis

In other words, how did you get the books in the Bible that you use?  Who decided which books should be in the Bible and which shouldn't be in the Bible?

• Content Count:  21

Folks,

This is an extremely fundamental question.  And is not really an issue for jest!

The canon is the collection of books that make up the Bible.  As many of you know, the Catholic Bible includes Aprocaphal books in it which carry as much weight authoritatively as the 66 books that make up the "Protestant" Bible.  Hence, their Bible contains well over 70 (perhaps 80) books in it.

It is imperetive that we have a satisfying explanation (at least for ourselves) as to how these specific 66 books were determined to be canonical.  What was the process for determining this and what are the criterion for canonicity.  Otherwise we leave a real foothold for the enemy of the Gospel.

Guest astralis
Otherwise we leave a real foothold for the enemy of the Gospel.

Not only that but it's left open for Christians who use the same Bible (OT) as Jesus and the Apostles to wonder why Protestants had to tamper with scripture and remove books.

Not only that but it's left open for Christians who use the same Bible (OT) as Jesus and the Apostles to wonder why Protestants had to tamper with scripture and remove books.

You mean Catholics when you said "Christians", don't you?  Of course you do.  You are not under Vatican I.  Just trying to clarify. :exclaimation:

Guest racer

Chazn,

Since, I'm not quite an expert on Scripture, I will provide you with enough information, that you will seek to research the subject on your own.