hatred is swallowing me up...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  197
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I know it is hard to forgive in some situations especially when you are so angry. I had a hard time forgiving my parents when I first came to Christ, but I was victorious once I asked God to make me willing to forgive. Maybe you could do that. Here is my testimony. Love in Christ, Mary (ellie)

http://www.worthyboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15436

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I really feel for your situation. When mistakes are made it is a terrible thing.

I am amazed however at some of the vitreol directed at the medical profession by the replies. I'm a physician (I don't practice in the states). Have any of ANY clue as to how difficult it is to work in emergency medicine? How stressfull? How complex it is to treat cold cases day after day hour after hour.

"Leaving patients for hours..." what exactly do you think happens when patients are left...do we all go away and watch TV? Is it just possible that we could be next door opening someones chest, or resuscitating a baby.

Its a hard fact folks but you may not be...regardless of what you might THINK...be the sickest card in the pack. sorry...but there it is.

Has it ever crossed anyones mind that 1. Dr's are patients too, mistakes happen to them as well. our families get destroyed by mistakes as well.

There is no magic talisman that protects us - we ARE the public.

Pipe up now anyone on this board who has never made a bad judgement call at work?? Unfortunately in my job the consequences can be dire.

Also some of us are christians..do you really beleive that we go to work thinking...today I'm going to mess up someones life for them?

If a mistake is made...do you think it is just brushed off...who cares?? I mean COME ON Anyone with half an ounce of integrity is deeply traumatised when things go disasterously wrong.

(I put it to you...say tomorrow you get into your car and run someone over - ...maybe you were tired, turning up the radio...- got the picture? Tell me now..how do you feel? Do you shrug and think.... well the insurance will cover it!!)

Let me give you a little story and the reason for my writing.

When I worked in ICU a jolly physician guy I knew gave someone a spinal anaesthetic. Their BP dropped massively and unknown to anyone this patient had a silent heart condition, the patient died.

This guy was deeply deeply upset about this and in a state of shock for weeks.

It was a tragedy - the family were bereft and of course blamed him - he blamed him (the profession blamed him)

It was of course NOT anyones fault - but there you are...some of us do have consciences after all.

He became totally isolated. He couldn't sleep, he went over the case again and again in his mind, he lost weight, he became silent and withdrawn.

The family solicitors came a calling. He went to court and over and over again he was made to relive events again and again. He was dragged all through the media, all through his proffessional body.

He began to think he had never been any good(Odd really because I distinctly remember him resuscitating a 4 yr old multiple trauma that fateful morning.... before everything changed and perhaps a MISTAKE was made). His entire life's work - he beleived - was a sham. What everyone seemed to be saying was right...he had as good as deliberately murdered this poor patient.

He couldn't sleep - he began to take "downers" so that he could rest. He couldn't face his wife and 2 kids because they had had to put up with the hell of weekly solicitors letters through the door, media on the phone and his increasingly moody and angry demeanor. (They went through hell too). His wife took antidepressants ...... they waited for the next disastor. What would they do for money - how would they pay their bills - feed their kids...in my country we are not all millionares

He put in hour after hour on call. Just working and sleeping and crying and wondering when they were finally going to do it...bankrupt him or disbar him or what...

They didn't of course, eventually the truth....things could have been done better but there really was no blame... (and sometimes things just happen....) came out.

He wasn't there to hear it of course. He decided to go upstairs to his bedroom and fill an IV full of anaesthetic agent and a paralysing agent.

He inserted a cannulae and only he knows what happened next. I pray the anaesthetic hit before the paraliser - but unfortunately that is unlikely.

His note said "I'm so sorry for everything".

and he was

and he didn't need a lawsuit to feel that way

and he didn't need the newspapers to tell him he should be

What i'm trying to say is that I don't know what happened and I understand your anger and frustration and if you (me - physicians -) mess up... you fess up and you take whatever medicine the good lord sends your way. For those of you who say "it's nothing" "go to the media" "sue sue sue sue" just remember there is a human cost. There IS ALWAYS a human cost.

Sorry for the rant.

Best

FG

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

fisherguy,

I didn't see this until today...otherwise I would have answered sooner....number one before I reply to your post....I respect Doctors...I am not a finger pointer or accusor of the medical profession...the time and effort that is put into a medical profession is excrusiating and I applaud them.

Now for my response.

This hospital we went too...has 6 beds in the emergency room...my dad was one of two patients....when I was able too peek my head out the door to plead for help these two drs were standing at the nurses station drinking coffee and eating sandwhiches....the few times they did come into the room after dads bad reaction they would not even answer me when I asked questions...hard to believe isn't it...but its true I just got a shrug of the shoulders and a slight shake of their head. When they weren't eating or drinking a beverage they were sitting behind the nurses station socializing with the nurses. Not discussing patients conditions but talking about what they were going to do this weekend. You see dads room was right across the from the nurses station...I would open the door periodaclly to see what was going on....most of the time a nurse would walk over and shut the door again because dad was too loud. grrrrrr!!!

And finally....my dad was in SERIOUS condition...after they gave him the drugs he had a terrible allergic reaction...violent seizures and hallucinations....I call that an emergency...the other patient in there needed stitches.

Even my parents insurance won't pay for the bills. Their drs evaluated and feel there was absolute negligence. My parents attorney has that letter by the way. Does my dad want these two young drs to lose their liscence? No...does my dad want a million dollars in compensation? No...all he wants is the bills to go away. My parents can't afford that much money.

There I'm done. I respect your opinion and can even appreciate it...I will be the first to admit that I couldn't handle the pressure of losing a patient or the hard hours put in. But I won't tolerate blatant disregard for human suffering.

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

You know, I'm glad you replied, because there is one thing that I didn't add and that I kind of "felt" behind my post. (every time I read "I'll own that hospital" or "take it to the newspaper" I just remember the tragic stuff and I see red)

All of us (well nearly all) forget from time to time that it's people we deal with and not physiology.

There are certainly times where we all need the arrogance squeezed out of us. As I said if you mess up - fess up.

In the US system I believe an intolerable burden is placed on patients because your health care isn't "free" like it is over here.

So, I can really see why there is money shuffling and why folk need to sue.

Problem with my country is that we think (cause of TV) that we are the US - we're not - I earn 25% of an ordinary US Dr's annual salary!

No-one over here pays for their health care. In litigation the only people who suffer are the patients, the Dr's and the national health service. (I got my

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

:cool: thanks for your reply....I had some misconceptions at first...I didn't realize you weren't from the "US system" so to speak.

And yes your right...dads alive and home...but I don't think he needs to be responsible for close to $28,000.00 in doc and hospital bills. Sadly because of what was done to him he spent almost 7 days in a hospital. I dont' know...maybe we should go after the insurance company for not paying. :o:thumbsup:

Anyway thanks again fisherguy...or should I say Dr. Fisherguy... :o

Love and Blessings,

Angel