• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The goal of the bill is to stop racism.

I'm sorry, but none of you have experianced it so you don't have much room to discuss how bad it is.

It's pretty bad.

the way to stop racism is two-fold...

1. educate

2. prosecute those who commit crimes.

there doesn't have to be yet another label, especially when the label is ill-defined and will give rise to everything, even the reading of scripture, being challenged as hate crimes.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I'm sorry, but none of you have experianced it so you don't have much room to discuss how bad it is.

It's pretty bad.

Gimme a break.

t.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

"Gimme a break..." have you experienced racism?

By the way, this article might help give some more perspective.

Particularly pay attention to this part (it contradicts the part about saying "homosexual" in church and such truck):

"Hate crimes prevention legislation does not violate the First Amendment right to free speech guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. The hate crimes prevention legislation

Edited by georgesbluegirl

georges, you should read up on the history of an identical bill in canada, and see how quick it took for the "this won't effect first ammendment rights" to go by the wayside when people would quote scripture regarding homosexuality in churches.

and it will likely happen just as fast here, if the bill passes.

and i agree with ted... gimme a break! a person who is persecuted or becomes the victim of violence at random is just as much a victim as anyone who suffers the same for a "hate crime". just go ask them.

by labeling crimes against one group of people as more hateful than others only serves to FURTHER divide this country, causing more discrimination, more bigotry, and more hatred.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/14/1980

If Homosexuals or added to this Bill, than so should the Obeasties and Slow Learner's. These two Races I mentiond, have been hated, discriminated, and abused. I should know, I'm one of them, and expearenced all that.

Edited by kjvtrue

and i agree with ted... gimme a break! a person who is persecuted or becomes the victim of violence at random is just as much a victim as anyone who suffers the same for a "hate crime". just go ask them.

by labeling crimes against one group of people as more hateful than others only serves to FURTHER divide this country, causing more discrimination, more bigotry, and more hatred.

Amen, LadyC.

The point I was trying to make is that all violent crime involves hate. It doesn't matter what the particular brand of the day is.

"Gimme a break..." have you experienced racism?

Yes.

My point in making that comment was intended for BodhiDahrma.

It's pretty bad.

The goal of the bill is to make a few politicians appear to be tough on racism. It will do nothing to change peoples minds. If someone is going to hate based on race or any other imagined reason, well, thy are going to do it regardless of the latest idiotic, useless law. This will do no more to fight racism than the some gun laws do to reduce murder by fire arm.

Tell me, have gun deaths gone down in any significant way in the past few years?

What this bill would do, if signed into law, is subject any church or preacher to Government scrutiny that preaches from the Bible itself.

It's bad legislation.

To say that no one here has experienced it is bias in of itself. I have all the room in the world to talk about it.

Relax, take a deep breath, and understand that God loves you.

One of the most effective ways for all of us to produce better posts is to do even the simplest research on the subject before posting.

t.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

It's pretty bad.

You cannot combat an idea with legislation,the very idea is nonsensical.

You do not know that none of us have experienced racism. This is a completely unsubstantiated statement. Also, I think it important to note that no race (or group of any type) is immune to discrimination.

Just as you cannot stop terrorism via war, you cannot stop racism via legislation. al this bill will do is create more frivolous lawsuits, and eventually you won't be able to speak out against anythnig without fear of prosecution. Can you say "thought police"?

You cannot combat an idea with legislation,the very idea is nonsensical.

You do not know that none of us have experienced racism. This is a completely unsubstantiated statement. Also, I think it important to note that no race (or group of any type) is immune to discrimination.

Just as you cannot stop terrorism via war, you cannot stop racism via legislation. al this bill will do is create more frivolous lawsuits, and eventually you won't be able to speak out against anythnig without fear of prosecution. Can you say "thought police"?

:blink::laugh:

t.