sdktlk

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  282
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

We search endlessly for who or what is Babylon the Great. But, it seems to me, we never consider or examine her "appearance." So, what does she look like?

"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: and upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel?" (Rev 17:5-7a)

Can we, from the Scriptures, determine what her appearance is. We know that she is symbolic of something, so what do her symbol's point to?

1) arrayed in purple

2) arrayed in scarlet

3) decked, that is gilded, with gold

4) gilded with precious stones

5) gilded with pearls

6) having a golden cup

7) in her hand

8) And why did John marvel at this vision? He saw many, many things in The Revelation but he only marveled at this one. Why?

I'm just saying, if we are to see her maybe we should start with what the symbol's of her stand for and why this one thing in Revelation caused John to marvel. What say you?

The question was, "Can we, from the Scriptures, determine what her appearance is. We know that she is symbolic of something, so what do her symbol's point to?" The key being, "from the Scriptures." So, what does purple stand for or point to in Scripture? Anyone?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

I see purple in the scripture as representing royalty and/or riches.

Scarlet seems to be the same. ( ? )

Gold represents divine nature, but since this is gilded, I would say it is an imitation of divine nature.

I see purple in the scripture as representing royalty and/or riches.

Scarlet seems to be the same. ( ? )

Gold represents divine nature, but since this is gilded, I would say it is an imitation of divine nature.

Purple does indeed represent royalty, it also seen in the garments of the Priests in Exodus 28. Scarlet is representative of "sin" (Isa 1:8) and also is part of the priestly garment. Our Lord had on both purple (Mar 15:16-18) and scarlet (Mat 27:27-31.) Therefore, this one has the "appearance" of being both "royal and priestly."

She also appears to be "baptized into Christ" (Gal 3:27) as gold does represent the very nature of God. Outwardly this one does have a proper appearance, but John saw inwardly and she is, "drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the martyrs of Jesus." No true divine nature here.

Excellent seeing sister, what more can we see from the Scriptures?

I see the precious stones as God's people. The stones on the priestly ephod represented each tribe. They also make up the foundation of the Holy City in Rev21.

not sure on the pearls, but think they represent spiritual wisdom......as in "do not cast your pearls before swine" ,They also are seen as the gates of the Holy City

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Time to pin the tail on Mystery Babylon!

Let's see who wins this game.

Hmm....if I understand all mysteries...but have not love...what am I?

Let him who boasts (or glories, depending on your translation) boast in - what? (Can you fill in the Scripture?)

The whole duty of man, the whole duty of man, what is it?

The goal of our faith, is it here? Or is it found in a different search?

Spirit of prophecy . . . isn't there something in Scripture about what the spirit of prophecy is?

Hmmm...

What say you?

What say me ...

Hmm....if I understand all mysteries...but have not love...what am I?

Answer = Nothing

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (1 Cor. 13:2)

Let him who boasts (or glories, depending on your translation) boast in - what? (Can you fill in the Scripture?)

Answer 1 = Understanding and knowing the Lord

Answer 2 = The cross

But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the Lord. (Jer. 9:24)

But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Galatians 6:14)

The whole duty of man, the whole duty of man, what is it?

Answer = Fear God and keep His commandments

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man's all. (Ecc. 12:13)

As for the Commandments, Jesus said that LOVE - loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself - is the sum of the Law and the Prophets!

The goal of our faith, is it here? Or is it found in a different search?

Answer = The goal of our faith is not "here" - interpreting prophecy.

The goal of our faith is the salvation of our souls.

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:8-9)

Is tagging Babylon as the Roman Catholic Church or Jerusalem or America or the city of Babylon or a controlling spirit, etc., going to save our souls?

Spirit of prophecy . . . isn't there something in Scripture about what the spirit of prophecy is?

Answer = The testimony of Jesus

...for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. (Rev. 19:10)

~~~~~

So why am I mentioning this here?

Because it grieves my heart to see posters more concerned with eschatology than with knowing the Lord, loving the Lord and loving the brethren, glorifying Jesus, leading people to the Cross, etc.

Looking into these things is one thing, but there is a goal and/or there is an attitude that I see coming through more than one poster that the things mentioned in these verses I brought forth are not evident.

What good is tagging Mystery Babylon if there is no love?

Love is -

Patient

Kind

Does not envy

Does not boast

Is not proud

Is not rude

etc.

Yet the determination for people to see prophetic interpretation as you see it isn't bearing fruit of this.

How can you expect to sway hearts and minds this way?

Sister, You make some good points in your post; they could be applied to many threads I have read in the forums. However, this forum is about prophecy and if I can learn something here (or any of the forums) I am willing to deal with (and pray for) the personalities that can bring me some light. I believe that we should be ever learning and growing in the knowledge of the scripture because if God said something in the Word, He meant us to know it. In our encounters with each other we learn, because of the different levels of understanding and the different personalities we meet here. My prayer for us all is that we grow together in His love and in the knowledge of His Word. Be blessed. Your sister in Christ

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

However, this forum is about prophecy and if I can learn something here (or any of the forums) I am willing to deal with (and pray for) the personalities that can bring me some light.

But can a bad tree produce good fruit?

I see the precious stones as God's people. The stones on the priestly ephod represented each tribe. They also make up the foundation of the Holy City in Rev21.

not sure on the pearls, but think they represent spiritual wisdom......as in "do not cast your pearls before swine" ,They also are seen as the gates of the Holy City

Again, excellent seeing. Jesus spoke on pearls in this wise, "give not that which is holy unto dogs, neither cast your pearls before swine" (Mat 7:6) And the "pearls" are the entrance ways into "the city of God." Therefore, this woman seems as if she has the ability to teach, "the mysteries of the kingdom." (Mat 13:11)

So far she has quite a royal, priestly, teaching appearance and is compassed about with "lively stones." (1Pet 2:5) So, she doesn't look like any earthly secular "woman" to me.

What do you see with respect to the "golden cup" and "in her hand?"

I got nothing on the cup :noidea:, but have always associated hand with ministry.

However, this forum is about prophecy and if I can learn something here (or any of the forums) I am willing to deal with (and pray for) the personalities that can bring me some light.

But can a bad tree produce good fruit?

No a bad tree cannot bear good fruit, but as I don't personally know any of you I cannot always accurately judge the fruit of some of the "trees". Each of us have various levels of understanding in different areas of the scriptures and are in various stages of growth, so if I think a brother or sister is more knowledgeable than I am in something, I will listen and if it doesn't immediately bear witness then I take it to the Father to see if it is right or not. We need each other to be able to grow. I think sometimes people come across in ways that they don't intend. Be blessed. Your sis in Christ