Guest Christopher

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

In many instances in the OT, God wipes out, or has Israel destory other nations, cities, tribes, etc...for idolatry, or pagan practices.

Why does he not do that NOW?  Surely there is more of it going on. There are more religions, cults, disbelievers, etc...

So why would God punish people by death back then, but not now?  It outraged him to see these other nations participating in such practices (even Israel was punished by plagues that killed thousands)...surely God does not change his feelings on how he feels about a certain sin (or sinful practice)...so what valid reason could there be, that these sins today, go unpunished in the sense that they WERE punished so long ago?

Guest EPHRIAM777
In many instances in the OT, God wipes out, or has Israel destory other nations, cities, tribes, etc...for idolatry, or pagan practices.

Why does he not do that NOW?

So he is "slow to anger" NOW...but back then he wasn't...thus, he has changed. Yet God is supposed to be unchanging and consistent with his own nature.

This is the CHURCH age we're living in...a time where Grace and Peace is preached to all...!

Right, and before, it was "do it this way or die".

G-d was slow to anger back then, too.  Many civalizations existed for hundreds of years before G-d destroyed them.  Be patient.  We are very close to the time when G-d will eradicate evil from this earth.

Guest EPHRIAM777
So he is "slow to anger" NOW...but back then he wasn't...thus, he has changed. Yet God is supposed to be unchanging and consistent with his own nature.

This is the CHURCH age we're living in...a time where Grace and Peace is preached to all...!

Right, and before, it was "do it this way or die".

G-d was slow to anger back then, too.  Many civalizations existed for hundreds of years before G-d destroyed them.

Yes.  The difference now of course....is that nations, communities, individuals are not destroyed for the sins they commit.  Back then, it was on the spot, now...it appears it isn't done, and won't be until the end of times.

So why the change?

But I'm glad to report to you that I don't play those type of games...! Your taking a TRUTH of scripture and MISapplying it in other areas...my friend..!

No, I'm seeking clarification of an issue I'm curious about, and cannot understand.  

For example ONE could say that Jesus is GOD in the flesh..Yet scripture is clear that GOD is a Spirit...We then could go around and around in a virtual merry go 'round about it..Each providing scriptures to back our positions...!

Aye, but we understand him to be full in both. And we could easily find scripture to support this.  I have no problem with this belief.

REDOUBLE your studies and focus in on the things you ARE sure of...Then I'll be able to RE-ENFORCE the things your sure of..OR correct the misunderstandings you have...!

I thought I could do that at a Christian discussion forum where fellow Christians congregate.  Perhaps I was wrong.

If there is no answer, simply say so.  Or if this is an issue that only God knows and understand, that is fine too, just say so. And I'll cease inquiring about it here, and persue other avenues for this enigma.

The problem w/ the answers given thus far, is that they do not address WHY he placed immediate judgement and punishment on many individuals, tribes, and nations back then...but does not do so now.  If someone has a valid answer, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm in dialog with a skeptic, and I know that the dialog will eventually be headed in this direction, and I'm going to hate to have to advise him, that there is no answer for this and it simply must be "accepted" because that's "what the Bible says".  Surely somewhere out there, there is a scholar or apologist that can help with this one.

Guest Griffin

God did not place quick judgement back then any more than now.  The people of the land had to reach a fullness in there wickness before God released Israel to destroy them.  for 40 years Israel went through the the tests failing most of the time while the people in the land God promised to Abraham went about being "blessed" (How else could the spies return with such a huge haul from then Cannanland)  Further God told Isreal not to bother the Middenights, Moabites, and many others.  But those people choose to attack Israel (God's people) so God answered.  In the "new coventant" Jesus/Yeshua told his followers that they would suffer for him.  Allowing the wicked many many chances to turn away and choose life.  God always encouraged people to choose life, not death.  So his character has not changed just that the line of messiah had to be established as promised to Abraham, Issiac, and Jacob.  God even called Jacob a worm but lived up to his promise through Jacob.  God allowed Abraham to look for rightious people in the two cities he destroyed to show Abraham that He is just/fair and He knows what he is doing, even Abraham had to admit and yield to God's judgement on the two cities.  God "gave in" to Noah who preached for a longer time trying to convince the people to turn from evil, even Noah had to Yield to God and "allow" the destruction.  Personal opnion God does not place the same value on our life that we do.

Guest Christopher

Here's a guess at why God was so "quick" to anger back then.  

It wasn't God at all.

The Bible was written after the events in question so it was easy to make up stories about God to explain natural events like plagues, droughts, eclipses, infestations, and earthquakes.  Even man's wars, politics, enslavements and uprisings have been revised to fit into God's plan and to teach people lessons about obedience.

Just a guess.  As if you can't tell, I'm feeling rather cynical at the moment.