Treasure

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

The majority of the time when I see the word progressive I simply ignore it. I do not care for the word and the negative connotations that have come to be associated with it in regards to the church.

In this article Brain McLauren gives reasons why a fundamentalists understanding of the emergent or progressive church is incorrect.

Opinions please.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The majority of the time when I see the word progressive I simply ignore it. I do not care for the word and the negative connotations that have come to be associated with it in regards to the church.

In this article Brain McLauren gives reasons why a fundamentalists understanding of the emergent or progressive church is incorrect.

Opinions please.

There's no McLaren article there it's the same link to the dictionary definition of Progressive.:thumbsup:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Opinions please.

There's no McLauren article there it's the same link to the dictionary definition of Progressive.:thumbsup:

I would avoid McLauren like the plague :wub:.

Here's a snippet of what McLaren believes;

But, what does Brian McLaren actually teach? Some pretty disturbing things! You can go to the first and second articles that list a series of quotes from him. In them you will see how troubling Brian McLaren's teachings really are. Among the quotes, he states things like Christianity is a little true, that perhaps our understanding of Christianity is wrong, that masculine pronouns used to describe God should be avoided, that we probably haven't got the gospel right yet, that understanding nothing is good, that Gandhi followed the way of Christ, that being saved is not being saved from God's damnation, that we haven't got the homosexuality issue right, and that systematic theology is a practice in arrogance.

Therefore, I can only conclude that Brian McLaren is a dangerous teacher.

From this article;

http://carm.org/brian-mclaren

I too would avoid the teachings of McLaren.:thumbsup:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

McLauren has become a shining beacon for progressives. He does not view the bible the way we do. He views it as a "library", not a "constitution". As "inherent" rather than "inerrant".

http://brianmclaren.net/archives/blog/worthwhile-dialogue.html

In this article Brain McLaren gives reasons why a fundamentalists understanding of the emergent or progressive church is incorrect.

Opinions please.

There's no McLaren article there it's the same link to the dictionary definition of Progressive.:thumbsup:

:whistling:

I feel the same way about McLaren. It's sad that he's so twisted what could have been solid foundational teachings into what he claims to believe today.

Perhaps the article will make for interesting conversation and provide an opportunity to point out errors in his theology. That was my goal in starting this thread anyway. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Here's a snippet of what McLaren believes;

But, what does Brian McLaren actually teach? Some pretty disturbing things! You can go to the first and second articles that list a series of quotes from him. In them you will see how troubling Brian McLaren's teachings really are. Among the quotes, he states things like Christianity is a little true, that perhaps our understanding of Christianity is wrong, that masculine pronouns used to describe God should be avoided, that we probably haven't got the gospel right yet, that understanding nothing is good, that Gandhi followed the way of Christ, that being saved is not being saved from God's damnation, that we haven't got the homosexuality issue right, and that systematic theology is a practice in arrogance.

Therefore, I can only conclude that Brian McLaren is a dangerous teacher.

From this article;

http://carm.org/brian-mclaren

I too would avoid the teachings of McLaren.:thumbsup:

I don't know anything about this Brian Mclaren fella, but it sounds like he may be a few bricks short of a full load.

As for saying "Progressive Christian", that really don't bother me. We are all progressive Christians (I hope). If we are idle Christians, then we better kick in gear (read God's word) and start progressing towards Jesus.

In this article Brain McLaren gives reasons why a fundamentalists understanding of the emergent or progressive church is incorrect.

Opinions please.

:whistling:

I feel the same way about McLaren. It's sad that he's so twisted what could have been solid foundational teachings into what he claims to believe today.

Perhaps the article will make for interesting conversation and provide an opportunity to point out errors in his theology. That was my goal in starting this thread anyway. :thumbsup:

Amen and a stimulating discussion is a good thing.:thumbsup::wub:

By your interpretation of "Progressive Christian," you're mostly correct. We certainly aren't to be idle but imo, the Body of Christ needs to go back to the fundamentals. The church has allowed so many wolves who twist the Truth into our congregations that many who would call themselves "followers of Christ" are no longer sure what they are following.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

By your interpretation of "Progressive Christian," you're mostly correct. We certainly aren't to be idle but imo, the Body of Christ needs to go back to the fundamentals. The church has allowed so many wolves who twist the Truth into our congregations that many who would call themselves "followers of Christ" are no longer sure what they are following.

It would be interesting if there was a thread started, where people could list what they think are twisted truths they may have seen in Churches.

One that comes to mind, I was a member of a UCC Church and when they condoned Homosexuality, I said that is it, I'm out of here, so long, see ya, don't call me/ I'll call you.