• Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

Sunday Afternoon

by Camerin Courtney

It's Sunday morning and I'm sitting in the last chair in the back row of my church sanctuary. For some reason, this is as far as I'm willing to come today. I woke in a bit of a funk, dragging myself out of bed, bribing myself with promises of hot coffee, then driving into the church parking lot late.

After the service, I don't see any of my increasingly infrequent lunch buddies, so I drive home alone. As I pass through pristine neighborhoods, I realize that while we were inside praising God, the day morphed from cloudy and cool to absolute perfection. I have things to accomplish, but any intelligent human being knows the right thing to do is take advantage of this beautiful day.

Once home, I call a few friends to see if any of them are up for a walk or some other form of spontaneous outdoor fun. No one's home, so I leave messages, eat a quick lunch, and feel the afternoon stretch before me like an endless empty horizon. I sit in my apartment feeling enveloped in its emptiness, realizing I'm suffering from the Sunday afternoon lonelies again.

I should have seen them coming, really. I've been in one of those friend-shifts lately. One of my close friends moved out of state six months ago. Another is a few months into a new dating relationship. Another is swamped with work and has gone "underground" again. There are other friends, of course, but not that closest ring