• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I have seen many witnessing techniques used in my life time. There are three general approaches to it that I have seen. Some lean more one way or another, and there are many techniques, but these are the ones I have seen illustrated.

The “Feel Good” Approach

The “Fire and Brimstone” approach

and the “Balanced” approach.

I think they are all explained best by the following illustration.

The Feel Good Approach.

John was sitting on a plane, when an airline attendant walked up to him, handed him a parachute and whispered.

“Sir put this parachute on, it will make your flight much happier, and full of Joy when you do”

Well John takes the parachute and puts it on. Its uncomfortable to sit with, his back begins to ache. This make him grumpy. He starts to think “Wait, this is not helping my flight at all, its uncomfortable, and its making me irritated, how long until it makes my trip better?

While he is thinking this, a flight attendant is pouring coffee for the man next to him, when the plain bumps from turbulence and she spills the hot coffee all over him.

At this point, he gets mad, tears of the parachute and says “That stupid thing gave me nothing but trouble, it only made my flight worse, I was lied to!

The Fire and brimstone approach.

This time the attendant walks up to Jon, and tells him “You are going to die with out this parachute. Take it or you die. “

John thinks the attendant is out of there head, pushes the chute back and says “No thanks your crazy”

The more balanced approach.

The attendant says...

“Sir, we just discovered due to a leak in our fuel tanks, that in 10 minuets from now we are going to run out of fuel and crash. Since we are to far from any airport to make it the crew is going to parachute off before we crash. We have only one extra chute so we drew a random seat number and here your seat came up, so we are giving you this chute. Put it on and when we make the announcement to buckle up, and brace for the crash, you can join us up front and jump to safety.”

Jon then takes the chute, thanks the attendant and puts it on. He does not mind the discomfort as he knows its purpose, and when the coffee is spilled on him, it does not discourage him, but only makes him look forward to leaving the plane.

You see I think the last approach is the most effective. You see we need not condemn people but we need to show people that they are sinners, that there is a problem and they need Jesus.

I have seen a few approaches to this. One is the 10 commandment approach. Go over the Ten commandments, and ask them if they have broken any. Be clear that even breaking them in your heart is enough to keep you from Christ. Evangelist Ray Comfort uses this technique, quite successfully.

Another one that my home church uses, and actually created a tract called “The Two Question Test.” It uses the same principles on how sinful man cannot enter a perfect heaven.

The author of that tract, a pastor who had a huge influence on my life (My earliest childhood memory is of him!) has put it on his churches website here

http://are-you-going.com/index.html

Its a good tool.

Now, one last note. When witnessing there is one thing that is the most important to remember! “

Pray! Pray for the person you are speaking to, pray before you go out, and pray that God starts to draw the person in, and uses you to show them to Jesus!

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Bro, there is a parachute for everyone. :cool:

Joh 14:2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, so that where I am, you may be also.

Rom 10:13 For everyone, "whoever shall call on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Bro, there is a parachute for everyone. :cool:

Joh 14:2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, so that where I am, you may be also.

Rom 10:13 For everyone, "whoever shall call on the name of the Lord will be saved."

yes, I know! LOL, that is besides the point of the illustration though!